June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Hey, I also started my whole 30 on June 1 and have to say my greatest challenge has been breakfast! So my goal for this week is to think up some creative breakfast ideas, which I'm more than open to suggestions! I'm really looking forward to the next 27 days and seeing how my stomach reacts to the changes!

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone!

Checking in to gather some anti-caffeine powers from my fellow June 1 superhero(in)es. It's so hard!

I think a huge part is not even the caffeine (although I really didn't sleep enough...) but rather psychologically: having a quick ("socially acceptable") break from work, something hot and creamy. I also like tea but it's not the same thing. Coffee (+coconut cream) just has a color and taste/mouthfeel that I find highly comforting which is hard to replace (and resist!). Guess that's the real challenge though - kicking the habit, not the coffee per se.

Stay strong! <3

Good morning everyone!  Day 3 is here...yay!  My breakfast have been for the most part are Paleo even without the Whole30.  I usually eat whatever ground beef I have and stir fry it with veggies and scramble it up with eggs or two over easy eggs to go along with it, plus fruit and my tea and that usually does the trick.  With breakfast we just have to change our mindset that its only particular kinds of foods...if you can have breakfast for dinner, why can't you have dinner for breakfast?  I know egg can get boring after awhile, but at least you have a go to breakfast, meanwhile you can be searching other yummy options.

Today I plan to make this pumpkin & banana smash with bacon...we'll see how that goes.  I'm making it ahead of time to have on hand tomorrow and Thursday.

http://www.preppypaleo.com/2012/05/whole30-breakfast-recipes.html%C2'>

Heres to keeping strong on day 3!

Coconut, pumpkin, banana is such a superyummy combination! And cinnamon... I don't think I ever eat anything without adding it first. *lol*

What are you having with the pudding for protein? As good as all compliant protein sources I can think of go better with savory than sweet-ish dishes (guess I lack imagination ;-) ).

Hey everyone!

Checking in to gather some anti-caffeine powers from my fellow June 1 superhero(in)es. It's so hard!

I think a huge part is not even the caffeine (although I really didn't sleep enough...) but rather psychologically: having a quick ("socially acceptable") break from work, something hot and creamy. I also like tea but it's not the same thing. Coffee (+coconut cream) just has a color and taste/mouthfeel that I find highly comforting which is hard to replace (and resist!). Guess that's the real challenge though - kicking the habit, not the coffee per se.

Stay strong! <3

That's what it is for me, too. I will get by fine without coffee, but I miss my coffee breaks! I fly solo at work all summer, working on my own project while everyone else works at summer camp. I miss being able to work at my favorite coffee shop/ bakery and sip and iced coffee. It was such a great change of scenery! And now I can't have that. :(

Hi Everyone, 

This is my very first Whole 30 challenge. I'm excited, nervous, curious, and even a tad bit scared haha. I too started on June 1st so this is day 3, and so far so good.

I'm feeling a little tired today, but thanks to the Whole 30 daily I understand that it is normal. For some reason I thought I would wake up this morning and feel like a superhuman...I needed a reminder that it is only day 3. I can't wait to start see the good changes! 

Happy Day 3 everyone!!! :)

Hi Everyone, 

This is my very first Whole 30 challenge. I'm excited, nervous, curious, and even a tad bit scared haha. I too started on June 1st so this is day 3, and so far so good.

I'm feeling a little tired today, but thanks to the Whole 30 daily I understand that it is normal. For some reason I thought I would wake up this morning and feel like a superhuman...I needed a reminder that it is only day 3. I can't wait to start see the good changes! 

Happy Day 3 everyone!!! :)

Just see it this way: you did wake up as a superhuman. Just one that's a little tired today. :)

hi friends  :D

I also started on June 1.  This is my first Whole 30, but I have been primal since February, so it's not *too* much of a drastic change.

I decided to do a Whole 30 now for a few reasons.  

First, I've been wanting to do this for about a year now since the success stories I've read are so inspiring.  

Also, I have psoriasis and some food sensitivities with suspected leaky gut, so I've been curious to see how this change in eating could help me.  Since going primal, I've felt so much better - not tired after I eat, no digestive upset and daily heartburn like before - but I haven't seen much change with my psoriasis.  I'm hoping that by further restricting my diet, I'll be able to tell if I actually have some other sensitivities compounding the issue.

Finally, I started a new job at the end of April and have let myself take full advantage of the 80/20 Primal caveat... which has led to more of a 50/50 mindset the past 2 weeks, so I'm hoping to use this as a reset and a way to buckle down and get back to my Primal ways that make me feel so much better.

So, that's me... I'm happy to have found you all and am looking forward to cheering everyone along!  ;)

Day 3, doing well except that my hips are aching today.  I have been on and off paleo since September but really slacked off in May.  I was waiting for my body to complain about my excesses over the weekend, well, here it is.  There is nothing like bone aches at night to make me stick to a paleo lifestyle and vow never to off road again.  (Luckily I've never had to deal with GI stuff, just fibromyalgia that miraculously cured itself when I started a paleo lifestyle.)

I'm trying to gear up to eat chicken giblets for breakfast.  I set up nomnompaleo's slow cooker chicken for my family to eat for dinner tonight and I have the giblets left over.  Anyone cook giblets?   I remember my grandma used to boil them at Thanksgiving and I would help her eat some of them.  I haven't done it myself but it seems sad not to use the bag of giblets that came with my chicken.

Ok, I survived eating giblets.  I used the coating from Well Fed 2's pan-fried sardines, which is arrowroot powder, salt and some spices.  I cut the liver and heart into sections, coated them in the coating and fried well done in ghee.  Then I fried some kale and spinach that I keep in my freezer.  Then I couldn't figure out what food group giblets count as, so I added in a fried egg.  Decent breakfast - I would probably do it again the next time I have giblets available.

The hard part is, I'm a veterinarian.  For some reason the liver grosses me out now like it never did when I was a child.

Coconut, pumpkin, banana is such a superyummy combination! And cinnamon... I don't think I ever eat anything without adding it first. *lol*

What are you having with the pudding for protein? As good as all compliant protein sources I can think of go better with savory than sweet-ish dishes (guess I lack imagination ;-) ).

The recipe calls for bacon, so I think I will try that!  I just have to go out and get some cause the bacon I bought although uncured, has sugar in it :/  I assumed it did not since it was uncured and didn't read the labels first.  But my kids love bacon so they will eat it up!  

Anybody else feeling a bit tired?  I woke up this morning ready to tackle life which included making some more meals, homeschooling my kids and organizing the living room and now I'm wiped out.  Thankfully I got my daily Whole30 and it said day 3 is the hardest...so now that my little one is down I'm going to go take a power nap!  

Keep on hanging on...I can't wait for next week when I do become a superhuman.  LOL  ;)

Day 3 and the headaches are finally gone. Yay! Weird thing I noticed today- my taste buds are in overdrive,  Everything tastes so good.  By the way, I've noticed several people looking for sugar free bacon.  I found it at Whole Foods. Had it for breakfast with eggs and yellow squash. Tasted like regular bacon. Yummy!

I'm loving the Whole30 daily emails. The information inside them is awesome, and I am loving the satisfaction of clicking on the link that says "I did it! Another Whole30 day in the bank!" :D

I hope everyone is doing good on day 3.

There were fresh bagels in the break room at work this morning. They smelled heavenly, but I kicked the urge to eat one. I ate my breakfast of eggs, sausage and tomatoes instead!

Day 3!

I have noticed that my food tastes really great, too! I just had an apple and it was so sweet and good. 

And yep, I love clicking that link in the daily emails.  That might be just enough to keep me going...LOL...I want to click that link! :)

So far, I'm not finding this hard (and I have years of bad habits to break!) but I am finding that I am constantly washing dishes and pans!

Oh also...I just had a very yummy salad!  Chicken, cashews, olives, red peppers, arugula, onions, and romaine. I used salt, pepper, EVOO, and balsamic to dress it.  I sat there eating it and thinking that it was so very good. It was because I was tasting the actual food and NOT the bottle of ranch I would normally put on a salad. 

Yay!

Omg agree with needing to throw the scales away...I didn't do an official weigh in on day one so did one this morning day3, which will use as my start stats, had done one a week before though for fun to check body fat %.. which is my focus nowadays rather than overall weight! Anyway I couldn't believe it in a week id dropped 2.5%body fat & 7lbs, I was only 9st anyway so can't wait to see how I'm doing at end of this...I'm gonna stick to paleo anyway because I love it so much. Glad everyone is doing well xx

So I made some broccoli coconut soup, but I over salted it-it might be garlicky too.  Boo!  I sautéed the broccoli and onions than blended it with coconut milk and added some coconut aminos (just cause i'm learning how to use this stuff), than I added salt and garlic powder.  I over did the last part.  Trying to figure out what to add to it to even it out.  Any suggestions?  I would hate for this to go to waste!

Good Morning.   I woke up bright and early.  I washed my car and went down to the local coffee shop.   I had two shots of espresso without cream.   I had their breakfast of organic bacon, eggs, avocado slices and berries.

Glad to hear no more scale for you!  :)

On the bacon, did you ask whether it was sugar-free?  Only sugar-free/no sweetener bacon is allowed on a Whole30.  If it had sugar/sweetener, this wouldn't require a restart: just don't have the coffee shop's bacon again for the rest of your Whole30.

So I made some broccoli coconut soup, but I over salted it-it might be garlicky too.  Boo!  I sautéed the broccoli and onions than blended it with coconut milk and added some coconut aminos (just cause i'm learning how to use this stuff), than I added salt and garlic powder.  I over did the last part.  Trying to figure out what to add to it to even it out.  Any suggestions?  I would hate for this to go to waste!

Add more water?

Or try some of these ideas: http://www.thekitchn.com/soup-too-salty-5-tips-for-fixing-it-making-sure-it-doesnt-happen-again-178694

I'm looking for a grilled chicken marinade if anyone has a good one.  I guess I need to sign up for the daily emails-might help me!  I gave in to my kids (one vomitted yesterday twice after trying the new meal) and let them each have a lot of fruit instead of veggies today and chex mix but I stayed with my normal food except was starving at 11 and had almonds.  How many of you eat just an apple or just nuts or something similar when hungry before meal time?  I'm nursing my 11 month old (4-5 times in 24 hrs) and taking a water aerobics class so wondering if I need to eat more.  I'm eating a large batch of veggies, protein and avocado with each meal so think I'm eating enough fat.  Trying to not have fruit to snack.  Haven't made mayo or any dips yet but that would really help me eat more veggies for a snack or on the go.

I woke up feeling great and more energy today!  Glad to hear everyone's taste buds are working awesomely!  We are new to grassfinished beef and had one in crockpot that is plain and not much taste so need to work on more flavor too….lots to learn.  I'm still not done with Well Fed so hoping I'll learn more about snacks in there.

Archived