June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4, doing ok.  Fried eggs and sauteed kale for breakfast.  I came home from my graveyard shift to find tonight's dinner ready in the form of nomnompaleo's slow cooker chicken and gravy.  I have Well Fed's Chocolate Chili frozen in half-cup portions (in a muffin tin) for lunch.  And a peach for my fruit.  I still haven't exercised.  Will do so today.

I had a caffeine withdrawal headache the first two days but have not had one since.

Today I threw a bunch of chicken wings and the carcass from my slow cooker chicken into a crock pot with some garlic and spices and vinegar to make some chicken stock/ bone broth. I tried to make the perpetual broth during my first whole30 but got sick of the smell of chicken in my house, so I usually only cook it 12-24 hours.  Usually I add carrots and celery but I ran out so will make a simple broth today.

For those of you struggling with breaking up with the scale, I get it. Was the number one reason I put off my first Whole30 for as long as I did. I'm glad I did it though. It was a very eye opening experience for me. After my Whole30 I weighed myself once a month for a few months and then one month I forgot. I didn't step on a scale from October until I started my second Whole30 in May. There was something super awesome about having people ask me if I'd lost weight and being able to say "I don't actually know."

Some reading that helped convince me:

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

http://whole9life.com/2012/03/5-reasons-to-break-up-with-your-scale/

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/

Hi everyone, I'm a June 1st starter too, an English girl in California

I've had the fogginess described for Day 2 and 3. So far I've not missed much- the newness of it all is an incentive so far. I'm still occasionally getting hungry but am now adding more fat and protein to help. I also need to add more dense carbs. 

Hello, all! I started June 1 on #4, doing it along with a friend. She's doing her 1st w30 and reports that she is doing really well so far!

As for food: finished up a batch of vegetable beef soup and had sweet potato/onion cakes for breakfast. It's already pretty darn hot here so lunch and dinner will be cold salad and soup. I have a large flat of tomatoes that a coworker gave me, so there is a lot of gazpacho on the menu this week. I figure: tomatoes don't bother me, so why not?

I've always told friends that when I eat w30 that I've never felt better. So why haven't I been eating that way for the majority of the last year? Reasons. Not good ones, but reasons nonetheless.

This morning, day 4, I felt super lethargic. Slept in much later than normal. Food only made me sleepier. As soon as I started downing water though, I perked right up! Looking forward to a wonderful rest of the day!

Happy eating, everyone!

This is my first whole30.  I started on June 1st and am experiencing none of the "carb flu" that I've experienced when I have cut carbs in the past.  I also have felt fully sated and haven't been hungry and wanting to do additional snacking.  So I guess that is all good.  I was just wondering if that was normal.  I had worked myself up to expect to feel like crap during the first week and be wanting more food.  Anyone who can comment on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Day 4 is going well, I should have had a bigger breakfast.  

I have never been a breakfast person and usually don't feel hunger until after noon (and I don't drink coffee or juice or any other breakfast liquid, just water).  The first 3 days I forced myself to eat a small breakfast despite not being hungry,  but today I actually felt hungry after my small breakfast prior to lunch.  I'll take this as a good sign that my body is making positive adjustments!

Went to the movies last night and the popcorn looked pretty good!  But once the movie started I forgot all about it.  

Hi all!  Another June 1st starter here.  This is my second attempt at a whole 30.  The first time, I was hoping for improvements to a specific medical condition (eczema).  When I had a bad flare halfway through my whole 30, I quit.  This time, I'm fully committed for numerous reasons, not least of which is my horrible relationship with food.  I'm a closet/car eater.  No one in this world has any clue how badly I eat.  I would get fast food every day, some days multiple times.  I also have a serious Diet Coke addiction - I would sometimes drink 90+ oz per day.  It had to be fountain Diet Coke - cans and bottles aren't good enough!  Needless to say, I was spending tons of money.

I'm doing OK so far.  The sugar monster is still rearing its ugly head, and I find myself dying for something sweet.  I've been compliant so far.  What has really helped me is a paleo meal service where I've bought enough dinners for the whole week.  I eat half for dinner and half for lunch the next day, which really only leaves me to figure out breakfast.

I plan to follow this thread closely.  Nice to "meet" you all!

This is my first whole30.  I started on June 1st and am experiencing none of the "carb flu" that I've experienced when I have cut carbs in the past.  I also have felt fully sated and haven't been hungry and wanting to do additional snacking.  So I guess that is all good.  I was just wondering if that was normal.  I had worked myself up to expect to feel like crap during the first week and be wanting more food.  Anyone who can comment on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Enjoy it! I'm feeling way better this time than I did during my first Whole30, even though I was eating waaaaaaaaaay crappier food before this one. I think sometimes... our bodies are just READY for a change, you know?  And unlike other plans that single out certain macronutrients as the problem, Whole30 and Paleo are just about eating real food that, you know, grows in nature. You get the carbs you need (and ONLY the ones you need!), so I think it's easier.  Feeling good just means you're eating the right combinations.

Last night, I fell asleep on my couch after supper. I woke up this morning with my sunglasses, clothes and shoes on. My face was smashed in the crease of couch. I have creases in my face.

That sleep reminded me of being knocked out for a surgery. I can't remember anything.

B)

This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that!

Today was a little tough, but I've made it through. I've been a little more hungry today than I have been since starting.

Tomorrow is going to be rough at work. We have our monthly meeting and they always provide pizza afterwards. I'll have to duck out and ignore the smell of the pizza. <_<

Are hot dog weiners (Hebrew National all beef) Whole30 approved?

Today was a little tough, but I've made it through. I've been a little more hungry today than I have been since starting.

I was much hungrier today than I usually am. I woke up hungry (which hasn't happened in 8 months!), which was weird enough, but then I felt hungry again at 11am (4 hours after a big breakfast, my usual Kale, Eggs, and Sausage). I need to figure out some good snacks to have on hand at work. The Sea Snax are not doing it for me.  Luckily, my salad with chicken and avocado kept me going until late afternoon!

I don't think Hebrew Nationals are compliant -- they have some fillers, I think. But Applegate Farms makes an organic, uncured, all-beef hot dog that is OK for W30, if you can find them.

Hey everyone! The sugar dragon is attacking me really badly today. I was all excited about the banana pumpkin mash recipe on here yesterday and then came home from shopping and saw the post about it not being compliant. He's right though. I really realize that it's bad for me just  because now I'm obsessed with pumpkin pie. WHY?!? It just would have been a sweet tooth quencher for me. Well, I made it through anyway.

I do know this though, when I get hungry...I get very hungry. A few of my friends at work are starting to get really interested in trying this!  :) Every lunch I'm eating gets comments like, "Ooh. That looks/smells so good!" It IS good. LOL It's really a wonderful feeling to know that it's good for me too. 

Hope everyone is well! 

Hello Peebles!

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. Happy to see I'm not the only European on board! Looking forward to follow your progress. Where are you from btw? You might have mentioned it, so sorry if I didn't pay attention :P

I'm so happy, cause I managed to order grassfed beef and whole30 approved bacon, and it will arrive tomorrow morning. This is going to cost me, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Keep on rockin'!

Hey there,

aah, yeah, I'm kind of losing the overview here, too - so many posts! (Not complaining though. Great to see everyone so enthusiastic!)

I'm currently living in Germany (moved there a few years ago). There's lots of highly processed crappy Wurst and stuff, but grass-finished/pastured is practically unheard of, so I at least buy my animal produce organic and as locally as possible.

Buying/ordering in bulk or getting, like, half a cow from a local farmer isn't really an option. I live in a tiny 1-room rented flat and only have a normal sized/small fridge and no freezer trunk (wouldn't have the money nor space for it).

I have to confess (I guess I'm the only person here, haha) - I find bacon disgusting. *lol* However, I ordered some jerky from Eichenhain. They have some pretty yummy compliant options. :)

Let me know how your luxurious order turned out! Where did you order? Somewher in Spain?

Thanks!

Hi Tist724.

I am having a similar experience to you. I am not really having that many withdrawal-like symptoms. My meals have been following the protein/vegetable/fat guidelines & they have been satisfying so I haven't felt hungry or needed to snack.

Everyone I think has their own reaction to the change in diet. I don't think there is a "normal".

Hi Tist724.

I am having a similar experience to you. I am not really having that many withdrawal-like symptoms. My meals have been following the protein/vegetable/fat guidelines & they have been satisfying so I haven't felt hungry or needed to snack.

Everyone I think has their own reaction to the change in diet. I don't think there is a "normal".

Enjoy it! I'm feeling way better this time than I did during my first Whole30, even though I was eating waaaaaaaaaay crappier food before this one. I think sometimes... our bodies are just READY for a change, you know?  And unlike other plans that single out certain macronutrients as the problem, Whole30 and Paleo are just about eating real food that, you know, grows in nature. You get the carbs you need (and ONLY the ones you need!), so I think it's easier.  Feeling good just means you're eating the right combinations.

Thanks for the input Beegram and Mads.  My wife and I tried the whole30 basically just to get healthier.  I only was hoping to lose maybe 5-7 pounds and "tighten" things up for the summer, and I've already noticed a slight change in my body as it reacts to the changes I'm making.  Maybe it's just in my head, but I'm feeling really good about the new way of eating and thinking about food.

Question - if a moderator or tom can answer for me?! are chicken bites with an egg and almond flour coating compliant as your protein element of a meal? Thanks hope everyone has a brilliant day 5...namaste to you all xxx

I would say that's fine unless it is a "gateway" food for you or makes you want to eat bad things. But I've had fried chicken that I "breaded" with almond/cashew meal. Yum! Just make sure you add lots of veggies!

Thanks for the input Beegram and Mads.  My wife and I tried the whole30 basically just to get healthier.  I only was hoping to lose maybe 5-7 pounds and "tighten" things up for the summer, and I've already noticed a slight change in my body as it reacts to the changes I'm making.  Maybe it's just in my head, but I'm feeling really good about the new way of eating and thinking about food.

I'm already noticing that my pants are a little looser and I am not bloated any longer. :)

And my headache is very nearly gone.

Tomorrow is going to be rough at work. We have our monthly meeting and they always provide pizza afterwards. I'll have to duck out and ignore the smell of the pizza. <_<

Let's hold each other accountable!  

My company has a weekly meeting on Friday with donuts... they get a huge assortment, and donuts are my weakness. Even though I've been primal for months and loving it, I've still caved a few times in a moment of weakness and had a donut... and I am determined to use this Whole 30 to help me overcome that temptation once and for all.

Archived