Severe gastritis

Hi I have suffered from gastritis since the age of 15 (I will be 43 next week). I had a gastroscopy last week for the first time and I got the results today. I had been prescribed lanzoprazole 30mg daily which I haven't been taking as I am on whole 30 (day 22 today). The results are severe gastritis without H pylori. My GP has increased the lanzoprazole to 30mg BD. I am now confused as to whether to take it or not. I feel I do have excess stomach acid as when I get a flare up and vomit it is very acidic (too much info sorry). I constantly feel nauseous and overfull. I also have fibromyalgia. This is my second whole 30 last time by day 15 I felt amazing but this time I just feel exhausted and my fibromyalgia has flared up. I have been told I am intolerant to eggs and have tried to reintroduce them and I know they need to go again. I also think I eat too much fat and eat tomatoes every day. Should I limit these.

Should I take the meds or not. I am a strong person but don't want to go against the advice of my GP (I am a healthcare professional myself).I will continue to research the subject but am considering the auto immune protocol. Any advice.

I am the mother of 3 kids with special needs I need to cure my health issues so I can be strong for them.

• Moderators

You can take the prescribed meds during your Whole30. You may not need them long-term, but it sounds like you have symptoms that meds could help now.

If you are intolerant to eggs, you should eliminate them completely. You should not experiment with reintroducing a food to which you are sensitive or intolerant until you have been off of them and off of other gut disrupting foods for at least 6 months. The cure for problems like this is not a quick one and some people can never eat foods that have been a problem for them. 

If you eat meals composed according to the meal template - http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf - you are not eating too much fat. Don't use your own judgment on this; follow the guide.

If your doctor has told you to avoid high acid foods like tomatoes, avoid them or limit them. In fact, if you want to avoid them, you can.

If you felt amazing during your first Whole30, you almost certainly do not need to adopt the autoimmune protocol. Just avoid the foods you know are problems for you and don't make things harder on yourself.

Healing takes time (and sometimes meds). Hang in there.

Thanks Tom that really helps. I am sticking to the template so that's reassuring. The only difference between my whole 30 in January and this one is the reintroduction of eggs and the local anaesthetic for the gastroscopy so I am pretty sure it's the eggs. They are gone as of now. Unfortunately I really do love eggs and will really miss my homemade mayo. I will grt over it though.

There's a lot of folks who can't have eggs, so you'll find lots of good eggless recipes now :)

AIP recipes have no eggs.

It's not a cure, but you may find peppermint oil and peppermint tea help soothe the stomach, they leave a nice cool feeling behind which is nice when it's irritated.

Archived