Pickling Questions

Dutchie

Hello everyone,

I always have liked pickles,mostly in salads and pickled stuff (though I must admit I liked the sweet&sour varieties the best,which ould require a sweetener to add to the mix.)

However in the stores you always see the main ingredients: water,vinegar,table salt and various spices and sugar if it is sweet&sour pickled.

However it doesn't say what the ratio's of each ingredient are, nor what type of vinegar is used since there are so many vinegars (just plain,raw apple,rice,balsamic and today I even saw coconut vinegar in a store.)

Also I have no idea how pickling is done....do they just chop up veggies and put them together with the ingredients in a jar and then leave them in the fridge for a certain amount of days?

And I also wonder if pickling also brings on some kind of fermentation/probiotic process? as I can't use whey and the various times I tried fermenting veggies (though I don't want to ferment cabbages/brassicas bc of their goitronic effects) and they all failed,tasted like crap&mold floating on top so I'm very discouraged to keep on trying actual fermenting.

At the Chinese restaurant I always loved their sweet&sour carrots,ginger and seaweed salad and wanted to try making it myself. (but like said it's sweet&sour so that would require some kind of sweetener:(.....so the pickled version is probably gonna taste different....but who knows it might turn out good. )

Are there people on here who can shed some light on all my pickling questions? ;)

Here is my recipe for pickles... http://www.wholelife...decent-pickles/

I've done cucumbers, beets, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and maybe a few other things. I use mostly 2/3 apple cider vinegar and 1/3 apple cider.

Thank you Tom:) What's the difference between apple cider and (raw) apple vinegar? and can it be done entirely with apple vinegar (as I can only handle apple vinegar when it comes to apples)and/or could I substitute the cider for 1/3 water? (but I guess the flavor would become more mildly?)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my recipe for pickles... http://www.wholelife...decent-pickles/

I've done cucumbers, beets, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and maybe a few other things. I use mostly 2/3 apple cider vinegar and 1/3 apple cider.

Well I made the pickles,but substituted the 1/3 apple cider for water and I added some Dill. They were delicious,not really heavy sauer bc of the water substitution I guess.....but still nice flavor to it.

So,thank you for the recipe :)

I'm thinking about trying ginger for which Rice Vinegar most commonly is used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first batch of pickles is done. They are delicious, though some of them are a bit mushy - next time I will seek out grape leaves or ferment them for less time. I let them go for two weeks.

Also, a confession - I had heard so much about the pickle martinis from the 2012 Ancestral Health Symposium that I had to have some pickle juice ready for post Whole 30. A quart of pickle juice, swish!

Archived