Peebles goes W30 - Go Team June 1st!

Peebles

Hey there everybody,

starting my first Whole30 as of tomorrow, June-1st.

I'm kinda excited and nervous and I'm not sure what to expect.

I've been a long-term (reeeally long term, talking over 15 years here) vegan for ethical reasons but I'm gonna give this thing a try for health reasons.

I'll buy as local and organic/sustainable as possible to feel halfway ok with it.

Just to mention it because most people here seem to have this goal: I absolutely do not want to lose any weight. Quite the contrary: I wouldn't mind packing up some sexy muscle. ;)

I think I've been eating not that bad, compared to the general population (and junk food vegans). I was never into hardcore processed soy stuff (but I love natto and tempeh...). I lovelovelove my veggies and I've never liked doughy stuff like bread. So, I guess I've been (mostly) glutenfree "accidentally".

My biggest vice is my ginormous bubblegum and candy addiction (it's BAD). While my actual "meals" are pretty healthy usually, I eat shit-tons of crappy sweets inbetween, especially in the office (I have this terrible habit that there always needs to be *something* in my mouth to chew on - super not-sexy!) and I have a major coffee problem ever since I found out how delicious coffee+coconut milk is, haha. Gonna try limit myself to one per day before noon during my Whole30 or, maybe, cut it completely. My adrenals may thank me for it. I'm also not good at sleeping enough. At all... Another thing to work on for improving my health.

I'm also gonna miss fruit. My usual breakfast was a huge (very) green smootie. Plus, now with summer coming and bright red strawberries and yummy melons and apricots rolling around everywhere... *sigh* Unfortunately, I can't properly digest fruit as part of a "heavier" meal (it just rots in my stomach and does disgusting things to me) so I guess I will hardly have any fruit during my Whole 30.

I wish you all good luck with your Whole 30 - we can do this!! B)

• Moderators

Two things: You may want to study this article for the meat challenged: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

And coming from a vegan background, you may not have enough of the right gut bacteria to fully digest meat. In such cases, taking digestive enzymes can make a huge positive difference. The alternative is months of digestive problems while your gut grows the bacteria it needs. Learn more at: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Hey Tom, many thanks for the links to the articles. Definitely seems like an interesting read for me!

I already got my bottle of Super Enzymes (incl. Betaine HCl). I think I'm gonna need it, I don't have the strongest digestion to begin with.

It helps my digestive tract to puree certain veggies (e.g. spinach and especially "tougher" greens, carrots etc.). I know that the Whole30 rules generally don't love processed/blended stuff but would this be an acceptable thing to do to help my still weak digestion?

*** DAY 1 ***

Meal 1: 

coalfish, egg, and mushrooms fried in red palm oil

pureed greens, cucumber, coconut cream

handful soaked brazils

Meal 2: 

beef liver and zucchini fried in red palm oil

asparagus-rucola-coconut ceam/puree

beets

black botija olives

Going from vegan to beef liver seems like quite a leap (but hey, it's affordable - reality check: meat, especially organic, is incredibly expensive!!). I'm not sure yet if I like it or hate it. I do in fact like the taste but there were some... tough and stringy (??) parts (cartilage? fatty tissue?? no idea) in it that almost made me gag. I had to spit those out - I had the impression they didn't dissolve even after a LOT of chewing... I sure hope I just got unlucky with that specific piece because I put the second serving in my lunchbox for tomorrow. And I'd like to keep a minimum level of table manners in the office (no spitting around icky stuff)... ;)

Had coffee with lots of coconut cream in the afternoon (couldn't help myself). Like, lots of coconut cream. Almost the whole can. That stuff kinda seems like food without brakes for me. Hmmm.

I wasn't hungry at all at night (had meal 2 late, around 4pm), felt like food was still sitting in my stomach. However, I didn't want to completely skip dinner so I had a bowl of (compliant but store-bought) beef broth with a little chicken, sprinkled with nutritional yeast. Huge mistake! I'm not sure what it was (must have been something in the broth/stock) but only a minute or two after finishing the soup I got an allergic reaction of some kind. Starting with my face and ears and spreading to my whole body my skin got super hot, dark red and itchy, even painful. It was really scary, I thought I was dying of anaphylactic shock (maybe slightly hypochondriac but still: scary!). It's a bit better now but there's still remaining red and itchiness. I guess I need not mention that I threw away the rest of the broth...

• Moderators

Hey Tom, many thanks for the links to the articles. Definitely seems like an interesting read for me!

I already got my bottle of Super Enzymes (incl. Betaine HCl). I think I'm gonna need it, I don't have the strongest digestion to begin with.

It helps my digestive tract to puree certain veggies (e.g. spinach and especially "tougher" greens, carrots etc.). I know that the Whole30 rules generally don't love processed/blended stuff but would this be an acceptable thing to do to help my still weak digestion?

You raise an interesting question and I am not sure of the best answer. We generally recommend cooking veggies to make them easier to digest, but turning them into a puree breaks them down further and makes digestion easier. Of course, the puree digests faster and that is the big problem we have with purees - they change satiety signals; you may get hungry faster. 

In your case, because you are making a puree for the sake of digestion and not as a time-saving technique or your habit of drinking your food, I am inclined to say go ahead. 

Most liver has some chewy parts. I have always managed to swallow it all, but some of it probably passes through undigested. I did find that when I changed where I bought my liver, that the more expensive stuff had a lot less chewy parts. When I bought liver directly from my grassfed rancher, it had some chewy parts too, although less than what I got in stores. 

*** DAY 2 ***

M1:

scrambled eggs

coconut oil fried zucchini and mushrooms

physalis

olives

coffee+coconut cream (inspired by my caffeine-kicking June 1 team mates - will drop the coffee for the rest of my Whole30... and try not to kill any innocent subjects in the process!)

M2:

Basically the same as M2 yesterday (packed lunch)

Pre-WO:

pumpkinseed protein powder

(Crossfit)

Post-WO:

Coconut water

I know my Pre- and Post-WO meals were far from ideal. I thought I had plenty of time between work and training to get some proper food but I had to work some crazy over-hours and barely made it to crossfit (hence the sub-optimum whatever emergency supplies I found in my office drawer stuff).

Got home very late, had a quick shower and just spent an emotionally exhausting 1.5 hours on skype. 

(Note: seriously need to get into my bed now in order to catch at least 6 hours of sleep before heading to work again... will add more to this as soon as I get to it. But in the meantime: thank you so much for your reply, Tom!! :) )

Good night, tata, and stay Whole everyone! <3

Sounds like you already know the scoop on protein powder (no pun intended), coconut water and the Whole30, but do double check the ingredients to ensure compliance.

For other forum readers of this thread, here's the Whole30 perspective on protein powder and coconut water from the Can I Have Guide:

Protein Shakes: Almost Always No 
Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don't even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they're packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia. However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it?Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym.- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.fTJyk7mf.dpuf

Coconut Water: Read your labels
Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Anything with added sugar is out for your Whole30. Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light†fruit juice. If you're involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don't let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine.- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.fTJyk7mf.dpuf

You raise an interesting question and I am not sure of the best answer. We generally recommend cooking veggies to make them easier to digest, but turning them into a puree breaks them down further and makes digestion easier. Of course, the puree digests faster and that is the big problem we have with purees - they change satiety signals; you may get hungry faster. 

In your case, because you are making a puree for the sake of digestion and not as a time-saving technique or your habit of drinking your food, I am inclined to say go ahead. 

Most liver has some chewy parts. I have always managed to swallow it all, but some of it probably passes through undigested. I did find that when I changed where I bought my liver, that the more expensive stuff had a lot less chewy parts. When I bought liver directly from my grassfed rancher, it had some chewy parts too, although less than what I got in stores. 

Thanks again for your insights, Tom! As you say, I'm not blending to chug down quicker but to help my body get in a broad variety of veggies while digestion is still not optimal. And I don't eat dishes consisting of blended food only, so I still "chew" the blended stuff since it's in my mouth with the other parts of my meal. Getting in more calories and/or getting hungry faster would actually be more of a plus for me, too. I don't want to lose any weight and I generally have trouble getting in enough meals because the food just tends to sit in my stomach so long that I can't put any more on top even hours after the last meal. I feel that the digestive enzymes do help with this though.

As for the liver, we're still having a love-hate relationship here. I really like the taste but the weird chewy parts, oh my! Had to secretly spit some of it out hiding behind my computer screens yesterday. Maybe a dish to save for weekends or breakfast... ;)

Do you think there's a significant difference between beef liver and e.g. chicken etc. (in terms of those icky parts)?

Sounds like you already know the scoop on protein powder (no pun intended), coconut water and the Whole30, but do double check the ingredients to ensure compliance.

For other forum readers of this thread, here's the Whole30 perspective on protein powder and coconut water from the Can I Have Guide:

Protein Shakes: Almost Always No 

Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don't even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they're packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia. However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it?Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym.- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.fTJyk7mf.dpuf

Coconut Water: Read your labels

Most coconut waters are technically compliant, containing only natural sugars from the coconut. However, some brands add sugar to their ingredients, so read your labels. Anything with added sugar is out for your Whole30. Tip: Coconut water is essentially a “light†fruit juice. If you're involved in endurance athletics, work in a profession that leaves you prone to dehydration, or just want a refreshing treat, coconut water can be a fine choice for rehydration. Just don't let coconut water take the place of plain old water in your daily routine.- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.fTJyk7mf.dpuf

Thanks Chris, everything compliant (I do appreciate your vigilance though! Always surprising what unexpected crap is thrown into all sorts of foods these days...). My coconut water is coconut water only and the protein powder is just pumpkin seeds (kinda like they make coconut flour just with pumpkin seeds: pressing out the oil and the rest is the "protein powder"). As I said above: I don't think getting more calories down is a con in my case but I understand the part that we want to eat as much "real food" as possible here. Will try to be better prepared in the future.

*** DAY 3 ***

M1:

scrambled eggs + coconut flakes

zucchini, mushrooms, tomato

(everything fried in coconut oil and topped with a huge blop of coconut cream)

M2:

(canned) mackerels

on mixed greens, cucumber, tomato, beets, mushrooms

olives

coconut flakes + lemon-mustard dressing

hot cocoa in the afternoon (pure cocoa powder with hot water and coconut cream) instead of coffee...

M3:

3 boiled eggs + 1 whole can of coconut cream + some goji berries

M3 clearly lacks vegetables but that was another case of "dang why am I still at work, I'm SO HUNGRY"... Next time I have some time I need to stock up on some compliant and nutritious (yet nonperishable) stuff to keep in the office. I don't know yet. Maybe some canned tuna and pickled/canned veggies?

I was pleasantly surprised that I was that hungry in the evening though, as I often struggle with having dinner due to my terrible/slow digestion. Yay for good food and digestive enzymes!

Coconut cream has some crazy effect on me. I open a can and it usually lasts one, mayyybe two days. However, I'm not sure it's a bad "no brakes addiction" kind of thing. Maybe it's just my body going "thank God, finally plenty of neat faaaat, gimmegimme!"?

The coffee and chewing gum "deprivation" is killing me! It's so hard and I feel really irritable. It helps a little to tell myself that EFT phrase. The "even though I have this ..., I deeply and completely love and accept myself". I'm not doing the tapping part (would feel a bit awkward in the office) but just thinking that sentence feels nice.

Tomorrow there's a company relay race and I'm running with my colleagues. I'm not a runner at all and just signed up for team spirit and fun. I hope I won't feel too wired. I'll try to get in 8 hours of sleep tonight (seems almost utopian!) and run to the store tomorrow in my lunchbreak to grab some canned tuna or something for my post-run meal which I will be having while the others will have their beers and crappy cheese-like products and biscuits and what else is in those food boxes they give to the runners. (I'm not too worried, I'm already the weird beer-hating girl in the office, that's ok :) )

A couple more observations to help you get the best results:
- sorry, no hot cocoa on a Whole30 http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18506-hot-cocoa/

- when coconut milk/cream is your fat, the serving size is 1/4 - 1/2 of a 14 oz can, per the recommended meal template.  As you mentioned it sounds like a "food without breaks" for you, perhaps try sticking to a max of 1/2 a can per serving.

On a completely separate topic, is it possible for you to do the tapping part of EFT at home?  Or, at work in the bathroom or in your car?

Oh noes! I didn't even consider that hot cocoa could be cheating. It seems kinda the same as people drinking unsweetened coffee? Also, for me it's actually sex without pants because it's how I generally/always make hot cocoa. ;) However, that absolutely doesn't change the fact that I had it to distract myself from my coffee/something-creamy-in-the-office addiction which I'm trying to kick, so you're absolutely right. Having it sort of perpetuates the habit. I'll drop it for the rest of my Whole30.

I guess I'll use up the coconut milk/cream that I still have and won't buy any more for now. I'll rather use fresh coconut (or dried flakes) which is more of a real food and nothing I could ever go as nuts on like with the cream, hehe. I had some home-made (chunky) coconut butter (made from fresh coconut meat) today with my scrambled eggs breakfast and it was delish.

I'll also give the tapping a chance at home. Bathroom in the office also seems like a good idea (and practical since cravings and bad habits usually strike me at work). It's just that... it feels so silly and my brain goes all "you're betraying science!!". But I'm sure it can't hurt to give it a try. :) Have you used EFT with success?

Thanks for all your help, Chris!

*** DAY 4 ***

M1:

scrambled eggs, zucchini, tomato, fried in coconut oil

physalis, olives, home-made coconut butter

M2:

ground beef burgers, fried parsnips, gingered cauliflower rice

field salad, tomato, olives

Afternoon: green tea + coconut cream (last bit that I had in the office), cold fruit tea

Pre-WO: boiled egg (stomach didn't like it before running - maybe try with a little more time between eating and sports?)

M3/Post-WO: 2 cans tuna + 1 banana

Got home from the race quite late, just finished preparing my lunch for tomorrow, and need to hit my bed soon (aah, only 6 hours left to sleep until I need to get up again!). I was pleasantly surprised by my running performance, even though the last time I ran was... for last year's relay race! *lol* I was tired before the start (maybe that was more "office brain-dead" though) but the run itself seemed almost effortless! I'm also very proud that I managed to resist the candy in the picknick box and especially the sparkling wine afterwards when we celebrated. I had a lot of fun and now I'm gonna fall into my bed and pass out.  ^_^

Good night, fellow Whole30ers! <3

Awww dang!!

After our lunchbreak, my colleague just offered me chewing gum and in a fit of utmost mindlessness I popped it into my mouth! I didn't even realize until I got back to my computer "Crap! Whole30! No gum!!". Man, habits are some powerful brain autopilot!

Guess I'm back at Day 0... TT__TT

Have you used EFT with success?

I just started dabbling in it myself. A friend who does Reiki professionally recommended Nick Ortner and his book The Tapping Solution to me. He also has some videos on YouTube.

A mindless few minutes with gum is not grounds for starting over. Just spit it out and keep going. :)

Oh, ok, thanks! :) I just thought since the rules/mods are usually pretty strict about people restarting when they just have a spoonful of stuff that's bad enough... I thought all the artificial crap in sugarfree gum might qualify. But I'm happy to proceed with your permission. ;) I guess it doesn't matter that much anyway since I don't intend to count up to 30, waiting to go back to eating loads of terrible stuff afterwards. I see this as an intro for a shift in lifestyle in general, more like a process to find out what helps my body be as healthy as possible in the long run. 

I just started dabbling in it myself. A friend who does Reiki professionally recommended Nick Ortner and his book The Tapping Solution to me. He also has some videos on YouTube.

Great! I'll check out the youtube videos. There's so much info online - would you say the book offers anything additional?

*** Day 5 ***

M1:

pureed greens + cucumber

canned tomato

anchovies

coconut butter

M2:

ground beef (burgers)

cauli-rice

fried zucchini

physalis

olives... lots of olives

tomatoes

Pre-WO:

canned sardines (not so great either... dunno, my stomach doesn't quite like eating before a workout?)

(crossfit)

Post-WO;

tuna + beets

M3:

pumpkin soup + coconut butter + eggs

M1:

mixed greens, cucumber,1/2 avocado

hot smoked mackerel

coconut butter

M2:

pumpkin + parsnips (cooked and "powdered" with coconut flour)

olives

canned tomatoes

tuna (not such a great combination, actually...)

way too much coffee w/coconut cream

M3:

eggs, zucchini, plum tomatoes, parsnips

all fried in coconut oil

coconut butter

I gave in and had coffee again - and way too much (4 or 5 mugs!). I haven't gotten over 5 hours of sleep for the last few days and work is hecka stressful at the moment. Willpower is a limited resource I guess. Picking myself up from the ground and will try to take better care of myself. It's absolutely ridiculous because I told myself I need/deserve that coffee because of work+lack of sleep. When it would actually have been better not to have all that caffeine especially in times like this (poor adrenals!). My tummy didn't appreciate either.

Did a huge food shopping trip today to stock up on everything for the week/next days and challenged myself by getting some weird shit. Like chicken hearts. I don't know what got into me. No idea yet what to do with that stuff but I'll consult trusty Google (recommendations definitely welcome! ;) ).

Tomorrow there's gonna be an "Evidence-Based-Sports-Nutrition" seminar at my crossfit box which I signed up for (a while ago, before I discovered the Whole30). I'm curious what we'll be told. And I hope I'll find some yummy compliant food at the buffet which will be provided (by the "expert" holding the seminar).

Aw man, hardly time for this forum lately (I take it as a good thing though - shows I still have a life separate from the internet! ;) )

*** DAY 7 ***

M1

hot smoked mackerel

1/2 avocado

cucumber + a bit of lettuce

tomato paste and balsamico dressing (on the run this morning since I somehow didn't hear my alarm...)

M2:

chicken hearts (fried in red palm oil)

hokkaido pumpkin + (frozen) spinach

canned tomato and tomato paste

coconut butter and flour

(I felt kind of sick after this meal and almost threw up?!)

(the evening was, unfortunately, an awful chaos of a binge, technically compliant but still--- also filled with coffee :( Wild things going on in my private life atm which I have trouble dealing with in a healthy way...)

*** DAY 8 ***

M1:

I was going to have the leftover chicken hearts but they smelled weird and grossed me out so I threw them away and went with my breakfast friends the eggs again (I hate to waste food but I really didn't want to risk troubling my stomach with maybe-off chicken hearts before practice!).

scrambled eggs, zucchini, plum tomatoes (fried in coconut oil)

lettuce, wild herbs, cucumber (blended)

fresh coconut

(derby practice)

M2:

beef burgers, sweet potato, oyster mushrooms (fried)

on a huge salad of baby spinach and physalis - mustard/coconut dressing

1/2 bag Scottish venison jerky as "dessert"

I was SO hungry after practice - totally forgot about having PreWO meal (was still very satisfied from M1 though).

Not sure if I'm gonna get in another meal today (it's almost 7pm).

Btw, the venison jerky is divine! It's crispy, almost like chips! Considering this as a new PWO option.

Sticking to the rules/meal template is getting difficult. Summer broke in yesterday - it's so awfully HOT! All I want to eat (if at all) is watermelon, papaya salad and iced coffee. Trying to stay strong.

EDIT/update: Wasn't hungry at all, so no M3. Had a huge jug of iced cinnamon coffee w/coconut milk though. Don't judge. I'm only human. ;P

*** DAY 9 ***

late M1 (hey, it's a holiday!):

beef burgers (half a pound! *lol*), zucchini, oyster mushrooms (fried)

physalis 

blended spinach

fresh coconut

venison jerky

M2:

coconut oil fried turkey and oyster mushrooms

salad of tomato, cucumber, parsnips

fresh coconut

mustard-balsamico dressing

some more jerky

I really had to force myself to eat a second meal. Even nine hours after M1 I wasn't hungry at all?! Maybe it's the heat. Or maybe I'm eating too much per meal?

My digestion is suboptimal, too. The first few days stools were really soft and stinky and now it seems I almost have the opposite problem. I feel incredibly bloated. Not in a gassy sense but my lower belly is so extended, it almost looks as if I was pregnant. It feels tense/stretched and very uncomfortable. Maybe the lack of appetite has to do with that? Body saying "stop putting stuff in, we're still busy down here"?

My skin is also giving me trouble (I usually have wonderful skin). On the one hand I have dry patches in my face but at the same time there's some black spots/little zits. Not that impressed with the effects so far (I know, I'm not done yet. Just saying).

I don't want to end with a negative message here. The one positive result so far is that I don't seem to suffer from mid-afternoon brain death / sugar low (?) anymore. Not too surprising, since I stopped consuming my usual blood sugar roller-coaster of 1-2 bags of licorice per day. Not missing candy at all (but definitely missing fresh seasonal fruit!).

*** DAY 10 ***

M1:

tuna filet fried in coconut oil

blended cucumber, lettuce, wild greens

physalis

fresh coconut

M2:

turkey + oyster mushrooms  (from yesterday)

lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes

olives

cold coffee w/coconut cream at work

M3:

sweet potato, parsnips

pumpkin protein powder

coconut cream

coconut fried eggs

Oh, btw, I just realized I totally forgot to mention that I also supplement with fishoil (about a generous spoonful daily).

M3 was a little carb-heavy today but that's because it was originally intended as my PWO meal. However, I had to work long hours again and didn't make it to training, so I "upgraded" it and made it my M3.

Bloated belly is a little better today (after, like, 4 visits to the bathroom...) but not entirely normal.

I treated myself to a huuuge (and expensive) new pan today since my old one looked frighteningly cancerous already (damaged non-stick surface... ewww).

The unbearable heat goes on. Fighting hard against all those well-meaning co-workers offering me ice-cream, sugar-laden cold lemonade and (my favorite!) after-hour apple cider etc... But hey! 1/3 done! :) 

*** DAY 11 ***

M1:

eggs

oyster mushrooms

cucumber-herb-soup

physalis

fresh coconut

M2:

canned tuna, venison jerky

wild greens, cucumber, tomatoes

1/2 avocado

M3:

jello'd: sweet potato, goji berries, coconut flakes ("jello-ing" stuff for eating fun and easier transport ;) )

hard-boiled eggs

(ate this at work and wasn't fully satisfied, so I also had:) 3 baby bananas, some dried mulberries and cashews

Glad it rained today and thus cooled down a bit. I haven't been able to sleep for the last few days due to the immense heat.

Archived