Perfect Sense Whole30 (part 1)

Perfect Sense

A little more than three years ago I visited my mother.  It was then that I truly recognized I had ballooned beyond what I was comfortable with.  When I came back home in a casual conversation with my wife, she mentioned she could introduce me to her physical trainer.  I agreed.

Over the next seven+ months, I worked out.  Like anything, I read a lot too.  My body changed.  I changed.  All was good.  I lost 75 lbs.  Things were going well.  During that time I learned about paleo and heavy weight lifting.  Being a little guy, I never thought free weights were where I should be.  I fell in love with squats and deadlifts and I cleaned up my eating.  Life was good, until it wasn't.

A falling out with the trainer brought back a whole host of emotions that were satisfied with a new-found love of candy.  Seriously, it was ridiculous.  It's been a slow slide, but I have now re-gained all that I lost.  And I feel like crap again.

It was a slow slide in part because I have kept some of the good habits I learned.  But I make excuses far too often. 

I always read and I have known about Whole30 for some time.  It fits in with my views.  My family has thought me nuts for years, long before I ever thought of living a healthy lifestyle, for suggesting that we are killing ourselves with all this processed stuff we ingest.  Whole30 makes perfect sense to me.

Anyhow, it is time to cleanse the body to free my soul.

Today I am planning the journey.  Preparation is always the key.  It's when I am not prepared that the slips are easy to "allow".

Onward!

The last four days have been emotional around here for reasons unrelated to beginning this today.  Nevertheless, that rawness did nothing to enhance what should have been an uplifting day.

So it was an underfed and listless day to commence the Whole 30.  Cheers!

Breakfast was a few chicken thighs that I woke up to smoke on the kettle.

Lunch, as it were, was a few fried eggs and sauteed sweet potato hash.

Snack, just because I opened the fridge was another chicken thigh.

Supper was some ground sirloin, seasoned, and tossed with salsa along with steamed collard greens.

Certainly not enough fuel, but I sat on my butt all day so I didn't expend much either.  So there!

Here's to a healthier (and happier) day 2.

Day 2: 'Twas hard.  Hard leftover chicken thighs for breakfast.

I forgot to bring lunch.  I ran out and got four hard-boiled eggs and a banana.  

I stopped on the way home for dinner because I had very little time before going out.  A rotisserie chicken and a salad of spring greens with balsamic vinegar.  A little while after that I finally felt like I wasn't exhausted.

Around 9:00, I grilled a London broil.  I ate a little of that before I wrapped it for lunch tomorrow.

Better, not great.

We haven't found our pacing on this.  Frankly, June is always so busy, but excuses always push off what we need to do so I won't permit that here.

Day 3 was.  Well it just was.

Breakfast: 3-4 scrambled eggs, handful of almonds, plate of broccoli, banana

Lunch: two-thirds lb. (or more) London broil, no veggies, banana

Dinner: huge rotisserie chicken breast, two cups sauteed mushrooms, cup of garlic green beans, and a healthy plate of roast beef

I am not eating enough veggies.  I need to find a quick and acceptable way of doing that.  The collards I purchased didn't suit my fancy.  I have the butternut squashes to roast, just no time to do so.

I am very tired and falling asleep early.

I felt some of the leg cramping stuff, but in my buttocks of all places.  It wasn't as bad as cramps, but was uncomfortable.  I suspect until I boost my veggie intake, this will continue.  I also took some Tylenol first thing as I felt the caffeine headache coming on.  It staved it off.

A few days gone ...

Things are getting better.  First, I haven't cheated at all.  I am slowly ramping up my vegetable intake.  It's amazing what can get done when I don't have to work and shuttle the children around.  I made my butternut squash, lots of hamburger, Nom Nom Paleo's Mexican beef (fabulous), and homemade mayonnaise yesterday.  I have a chuck roast to smoke today and may pick up a brisket too.

I also picked up lots of veggies to roast.

I feel good right now (and I think my belly has shrunk). :)

One thing I was not prepared for: mass.

So there I was receiving communion this morning and realized that I consumed gluten (most likely).  What was more startling, the wine tasted super sweet today.  I am not quite certain what can be done here.  I can forgo the wine, but the host is still on the menu each week, as it were.

One thing I was not prepared for: mass.

So there I was receiving communion this morning and realized that I consumed gluten (most likely).  What was more startling, the wine tasted super sweet today.  I am not quite certain what can be done here.  I can forgo the wine, but the host is still on the menu each week, as it were.

Religious practices trump Whole30.

Day 9

All is going well.  I ate pretty well today.  Always more vegetables, but I am in pretty good shape.

Nevertheless, I feel bloated and would be hard-pressed to feel as though I have made progress.  It's a month-long program and I am just in the second week, but it would sure be encouraging to feel better right now.

Energy was up today, so that was good.

Unfortunately, I am not well positioned for tomorrow.  I'll make it through, but I need to prep some more tomorrow to reach later into the week.

I craved sweets today.Specifically, a slice of pineapple cream pie would have been splendid.  Seriously!

Hoping tomorrow is a bit more encouraging.

Day 13

This is the first day this month where I do not feel fat. Oh, I still am, but the bloated belly has still not appeared and it is evening time. ðŸ˜

So done even mentioned that I am thinner. Granted, she made the comparison to video of me from several years ago. I'll take it!

Day 16

Feeling better than the last two days about things.

I haven't had a radical change in body shape, but I keep thinking things are better than they were.  Belly seems to be a little more firm than it had been.

More and more, I am expecting to go beyond 30 days.  I will weigh myself on 1 July, however.  That will be helpful in determining the path onward after June is over.

Until anon.

Archived