Alcohol

Vian

I don't drink. I can probably count the number of alcoholic drinks I've had in my life on both hands. I use wine for cooking because I don't like the taste of it (except cooked in recipes), and I might have a hard cider once in a while (once a year? less?) 

The main reason is because I don't like the way alcohol makes me feel. I get hot, and a tense, heavy, fatigued feeling in my muscles that I don't like. Even from just a couple sips of beer, LONG before I actually get "buzzed". Aside from that, i don't like the flavor of most alcohol. Wine is gross, beer tastes like bitter, burnt yeast, and hard liquor burns my mouth so much I can't taste it anyway. I like the flavor of irish cream, but only if it's diluted in milk so it doesn't burn, and I like hard cider well enough. I even felt like I could like my dad's 12 year aged MacAllen scotch diluted with water to kill the burn.

So the reason for this post is because I can't understand our culture's obsession with alcohol. I feel like I'm living in a country of alcoholics. Even the "social" drinkers who need a few drinks to have fun at a party, or people who just need a glass of wine to relax at the end of the day...it feels a little too much like dependence to me. Why do people have SUCH A HARD TIME giving up wine to do a whole30? Why is it socially acceptable to empty 2-3 bottles of wine a week? I just can't wrap my head around it. I even took a life expectancy test and it asked how many alcoholic beverages I consumed a week, and I put 0 and it DEDUCTED years from my life because I DIDN'T DRINK. WTH??

There is a difference between people who 'need' a drink to enjoy a party, and people who enjoy the drink, of course!

I enjoy wine, and other kinds of alcohol. I had no problems giving them up for the Whole 30, but I was glad to have my wine with dinner back, because I enjoy the taste of wine, and because food has more alcohol-soluble flavor compounds than any other kind (hence wine pairing so well with food.) I like a cider when it's hot out, and brandy when it's cold. My husband makes an excellent martini. Opening champagne makes any occasion an Occasion (to me!)

I think people have a hard time giving up a habit. I've seen the same struggle here with cookies, and smoothies, and weighing oneself, and creamer in the coffee. There are some people who have a hard time giving alcohol up because they are addicted, and I think the Whole 30 is great for pointing that out, too. Maybe it jus seems strange to you because alcohol affects you negatively?

If you don't like the taste anyway, then there's no reason for you to partake! But many people enjoy it without a problem. Some people go to far with it, of course, but that can be said of almost anything.

Vian, I don't really have any answers for you, but I wanted to chime in and say that I am so happy to know someone else is out there who is affected by alcohol like I am!  I have never been interested in drinking, and have only ever known one other person who doesn't drink.  I don't get the obsession with it either.  /:

I understand how you feel about alcohol.  I feel the same way.  I don't find drinks tasty and they make feel awful within a few sips.  Of course, everyone has their own taste.  Some people truly enjoy the taste of certain drinks.  They don't notice the burning or the bitterness.  It's a matter of palate sensitivity.  Some people also don't feel sick from alcohol until the hangover next morning, and so long as they don't drink enough to get the hangover, they don't experience any negativity from the drink at all.  Put all that together and you can see why some people enjoy drinking. 

I personally think that, as a culture, people are far more dependent on coffee and caffeine.  That worries me more than alcohol as my friends only overindulge once in a while.  On the other hand, all of them are seriously cranky and useless before a cup of coffee in the morning.  The fact that they let themselves become so dependent boggles my mind.  One of them tried to wean himself off coffee and he gave up after 2 weeks.  He was still getting headaches. 

I enjoy an alcoholic beverage on occasion, but it's not something I need to have. I can not have a drink for months and that is perfectly okay with me.  My late boyfriend was an alcoholic with pancreatitis.  Even before he got sick, I could not understand why he felt the need to drink every day. I just couldn't wrap my head around it. And then he got pancreatitis. He would end up in the hospital on average of every 2 months for a year.  But yet he still continued to drink.  I would get so angry!! Why would he do this to himself, me, & his kids?!?!  He finally did stop drinking and he was feeling better. He passed from infection after surgery almost 3 years ago. All I can say is that it's a disease that has a grip on many people. It's not something I will ever understand. Living with it was very hard & it's not something I would chose to do again. 

I feel the same way about alcohol. To me the "buzz" is mostly unpleasant. I feel tired, like my eyes don't work properly. Really, what I think it feels the most like is when you have a low grade fever. It also makes me sluggish and headachy the day after, even with just ½ a glass. So, I don't drink. Peer pressure was more of a problem when I was younger. But I agree, it is sad how many people "need" a drink to unwind. Then on the other hand I eat chocolate to unwind...

I do think it can really add to the flavor of a meal if you pair it with a good wine, so I usually take a sip or two if I am at a very good restaurant, for example. I just wish there was a non-alcoholc alternative that paired as well with food. (Sparkling water, I know! ;) )

• 4 weeks later...

I have always enjoyed having one or two glasses of wine at the end of the day~ it seemed to help with my digestion as well. That was about my limit though since I don't like the feeling of getting buzzed~

However! The Whole 30 really opened my eyes to the fact that even a "mild" drinker like myself can get addicted~ This first week on the W30, I felt myself getting irritated and even angry when 6pm rolled around and I couldn't have my wine!

Yesterday (Day 7) was the first day that I didn't feel that and I'm grateful to have the knowledge that yes! I had a psychological dependence on that drink!

I'm not sure where I'll go with that knowledge when the W30 is over but I have a feeling that I won't be going to the wine store nearly as much! :)

There's a reason they call it 'spirits'.   It takes over.   Some people can become an alcoholic in a short amount of time.

You know what's really interesting...when you trade in a food addiction for alcohol.   I've known several people who've had a gastric bypass who start drinking because they can't stuff themselves with food.   Compulsive personalities have a difficult time with many things.

When I grew up (in Europe), on every social occasion I attended as a kid, the adults would drink. Pre-meal drinks, wine paired with the food, and after meal drinks consisting of cognac. I witnessed so many times how their behavior changed, and while they were not even what we call today intoxicated, it was bad enough for me to be disgusted, not wanting to ever be like that. I was called so many things, even "no fun" by my mom, because I did not feel like joining their senseless drinking episodes as an adult. This does not mean I never drank a drop, but I never drank beyond that point where I felt the effect of the alcohol, which is usually one glass... I am guilty though of eating too much chocolate when stressed, or cookies.

• 3 weeks later...

You aren't wired like someone who has a problem with alcohol so you will never understand it.  Be thankful for that :)

There is a very candid, honest thread around here somewhere, where a few of us discuss our struggles with alcohol and whether or not we have a problem.. you might find it interesting to peek into our brains.. 

Thanks Sassy. This thread was starting to sound a little judgmental. I don't understand people who _____, but I try to empathize with them.

I probably also am too reliant on alcohol. I enjoy the feeling of being buzzed. I like laughing and making jokes and not worrying about how I'm paying for college. I don't enjoy feeling hungover and anxious if I drink too much. I'm working on healthier ways to relax but this is what I know.

I enjoy the ritual of opening, saying cheers and having a glass of wine with my husband after the kids are in bed. Could I/should I use a different ritual? Often I do now drink kombucha or water kefir in a wine glass.

Some people have a different reaction to alcohol, often these people are genetically wired to also have a strong reaction to sugar. Some people can take or leave sugar. Some people can eat one piece of bread. Some people can have a single cigarette at a wedding and not smoke again for 20 years. Other people can't imagine there are humans lacking a strong daily habit of exercise/meditation/prayer/etc.

I do agree though that the cultural emphasis on alcohol is not the most positive.

My mother's father was an alcoholic (as is her brother, in recovery). She is terrified and mystified by alcohol. She cannot imagine why anyone would ever drink two beers or want to be drunk. She's also addicted to sugar. I try to explain that the numbing feeling she is addicted to--that she gets when she eats chocolate or a donut or gummy Lifesavers (gross!)--is similar to the effects of alcohol, or at least in terms of the release from the assault of the brain. But she can't hear it.

Great post, Beets, I wish I could hit like on it several times over.

I come from a family full of alcoholics and all I got was this lousy sugar addiction ;).  I am grateful every day that I am not an alcoholic and try to use my addiction to sugar (and cigarettes in the past) to try to understand the experience with alcohol for the people I love.  Moral judgments aren't helpful, whether of people with addiction or people who use alcohol (or whatever) to relax on a daily basis.

I do tend to agree that our culture's obsession with alcohol is troubling, however.  It is interesting to me  that as a culture we place great significance on alcohol and in the same breath place heaps of moral judgement around it's use (or lack thereof - non drinkers get plenty of judgement heaped on them too!).  A bit like we treat sex, actually . . .

I really loved this phrase . . . assault on the brain.  This resonates for me.

release from the assault of the brain. But she can't hear it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Beets and how this thread is feeling a bit judgemental... I would say I'm a social drinker... Really enjoy a beer, Caesar or vodka...I do not like wine, however I don't think because I don't like it how could anyone else...can I go without a drink? absolutely. Can I have just one? yes. Do I like to have a few on occasion? I sure do! I feel its a choice that I get to make...to me it's no different then liking the taste of chocolate or cake...I drink beer because I like the taste...personally it has nothing to do with the depressant that alcohol is...I'm fully aware that alcohol is abused to others however I feel that's very different then your average social drinker...

Be mindful that it takes all kinds to make a world! 

Alcohol has allways been a social thing for me so it was difficult to say no when on the 30...but unfortunately 4days in...I caved :( my husband does have an issue with alcohol. ..it started as a social thing then became a daily thing. Then the dr gave hime the bad news..his liver is taking a hit...thank god he took that advice and stopped but its still a struggle for him and hes working on it but definitely a difficult issue and im proud that we both are tackleing this together with the help of whole30!

Many of us have screwed up coping mechanisms, alcohol, sugar, drugs, smoking, anger, and even exercise (oh yeah, those endorphins!!) .  Some of them are more apparent than others, such as a food addiction (weight prejudice is rampant).  I don't understand people who would work out for 4 hours straight, or smoke pot to calm down.  But they don't understand how I gained 40 lbs in a year due to stress over medical issues. I like a glass of wine periodically, but I don't need it.  As a therapist I've worked with addicts, and I do believe most are predisposed to addiction.  However, I read an article that evolutionary-wise, are brains are wired to look for sugar and salt because way back when, both were not available in more populated areas, and since our brain needs both to function........  Since  both sugar and salt are so plentiful now, we need to consciously regulate it.  Hello Whole30!!!

Out of curiosity do any of you, who have a physical (sweating, tingling, flushed face etc) reaction to alcohol within a few sips, have any Asian ancestry?

I live with an alcoholic.  The joke is that I am addicted to cake.  He simply cannot understand why anyone in their right mind would ENJOY not only eating cake, but eating THE WHOLE cake.  And that is coming from an addict, it's just not his substance of choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes wonder the same thing. I am not a drinker; I've never liked the taste of anything and whenever I've had more than a few drinks, I don't like the way it makes me feel. I'm able to laugh and have a great time without the need of alcohol to alter my state of mind. Group situations can be tough for a non-drinker with everyone asking you 'why aren't you drinking...why aren't you drinking' every 5 minutes. To avoid what can be an awkward situation, I just order a drink and carry it around for the night. I just don't understand the appeal that alcohol has on some people. I've seen so many situations where people feel awful after a night of drinking but they continue to do so.

Haven't officially started my 30, still getting used to the food prep down and realized that sugar is in everything! So sneeky but besides that been pretty compliant and feel AWSOME! lost weight and not having to count "points" calories eating crap processed diet foods have been so liberating, but alcohol has never been an issue with me. I do enjoy a vodka or beer here and there and really didn't miss it since I cut that out. But yesterday felt like testing it out and had a vodka and soda water. Talk about a rush wow! I felt sluggish and tired. So me and hubby went for  walk and it was the hardest walk ever lol :wacko:

I love this new lifestyle and being able to enjoy a drink here and there is great, but realized that my body and my chemistry is changing and may not be the best for me now. I feel so free and enjoy that im not hungry and the cravings are under control.

So I have a wedding this Sat and im sure my willpower will be tested so wish me luck! hopefully I remember how that drink made me feel and wont need to feel like I need to join the crowd and celebrate with alcohol!

Since cutting out alcohol for my first Whole30, I almost never drink now. I realised that grain based alcohols make me feel quite ill and it wasn't just a "hangover" feeling. Now it's mostly just cider and wine (even many vodkas are made with wheat), I find cider makes me feel the best the next day and when I'm drinking it too.

Kombucha makes a nice replacement if you like the ritual but happy to skip the alcohol.

I love this thread because I can relate to so many posts. I am self-proclaimed alcoholic; but I justify it with "highly functional" as a precursor. No wine before the day is done, in my pajamas and ready to relax. At my last Dr. visit, she suggested the W30 as a way to combat this dependency and to see if I'm gluten intolerant. So I spent two weeks getting prepared. The food has been so easy! I have fed my family every food that is off limits, made them dessert and all the while sticking to the plan.

I decided to wait until after the Areosmith concert to stop drinking. Prior to the concert I decided my beverage of choice would be Vodka which I hadn't drank in months. I really enjoy Chardonnay as my beverage of choice. The concert was amazing and fun and I definitely had a buzz. The next morning I woke up with red, blotchy, burning skin on my face, neck, and arms. I didn't realize that vodka (and many other distilled spirits) have gluten in them. Okay, so I am definitely gluten intolerant and I can check off all alcohol that contains gluten; that should make it easy, right? Wrong! I started my whole30 over because I just had to have my wine! Well since I had that I had a piece of dark chocolate also. Here's to another go at it!

Archived