Filipino Whole30 Eats

GlennR

Tocino2.jpg

Ever since completing my first Whole 30 about a month ago, I've been noodling with the idea of hacking dishes from my food tradition to make them Whole30 compliant. And I've decided to do it! So for the month of June, I'll be trying out various Whole30 Filipino recipes and sharing them in my blog. Come visit! And maybe try some of the recipes for yourself.

I started today with mango pork tocino. It didn't suck, if I may say so myself.

I'll be posting links to new recipes in this topic as I add them to my blog.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guinataang+Halo-halo.jpg

Here's one recipe I'm really hoping some Whole30ers here will try: guinataang halo-halo. Very simple recipe, and very delicious and filling.

You know how newbies keep saying they're hungry all the time and the mods keep saying eat carbs, eat fat? Well, this dish is basically carb-dense root crops plus carb-dense sweet plantain cooked in glorious, fatty coconut milk. I dare you to have this at breakfast (with your protein, of course) and tell me you're hungry again before noon. Go on, I double dog dare you.  ^_^

Any particular reason you did egg "rice" instead of cauliflower rice here?

For variation. Can't sub rice with cauli all the time; among other things, there are, shall we say, gassy side effects.  :blink:

And I liked it; I think the combo works well. As I wrote in the blog post, I had it three days in a row.

This is amazing.  I've been away for a couple of weeks and just came back to see this thread.  I may or may not have shed a tear of happiness at the possibility of a Whole30-approved pancit.  happysniffle

This is amazing.  I've been away for a couple of weeks and just came back to see this thread.  I may or may not have shed a tear of happiness at the possibility of a Whole30-approved pancit.  happysniffle

Thank you! I hope you try it and let me know what you think.

That looks good. Except for me, that is one serving! Yum. Easy and delish. I'm making it this weekend with curry ground beef.

Thanks!

Thanks! Hope you like it. One note: that's just one bok choy in the pic, so if that's one serving for you, then the recipe will yield two.

Archived