9 June Start

dcducks1

Hello, I have done a non-compliant W30 in the past and am all geared up to do a compliant program starting on 9 June. Please feel free to join me and several others that I have worked with in the past as we work our way toward healthier eating. I look forward to helping anyone thru this and offering information and encouragement along the way. Please come with a sense of humor, some thick skin, and a positive attitude. Tough love may come into play to help with "course corrections" but this is only to ensure that you are successful during this program. This is about following the W30 rules and NOT deviating. This means NO SCALES for 30 days! This also requires that you are knowledgeable about the food that you will be eating whether at home or away, and that it is also compliant. As a rule of thumb, you should have a good understanding of this informatuion before jumping in. If you are not ready right now, no worries.......come back and join us when you are.

Dave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to meet you JD, I'm one of Dave's faithful followers and I am doing a fully compliant W30 starting June 9. I already know what good things start to happen, I can't wait to feel the whole benefit.

MamaMiki

Welcome JD! I do not have followers as Miki/Mini puts it. I just like to have fun and look forward to helping and motivating anyone who needs it. I am retired Navy and have the "no man or woman left behind" mentality. Since I am a huge Fighting Illini fan, I usually don't talk to Hoosiers...but I will make an exception..hahaha! Please chime in when and if you can, the more participation...the more you learn , the more fun it is, and the quicker it goes by. Glad to have you

Dave

I am looking at a June 9th start as well. While I have been on a better nutrition journey for about 8 months and have been eating pretty clean and have tried some other nutritional challenges (IF,etc),  this is my first time trying Whole 30. I am spending this week reading up, cleaning out the kitchen, planning, shopping and easing in by doing no processed food this week while still having some dairy and legumes and rice. Full on compliant Whole 30 will start on the 9th. I am looking forward to seeing what the changes will do for me! Is it sad that I think the hardest thing will be no half-n-half in my coffee? 

I am really looking forward to June 9. Dave is very inspirational and quite funny. Hopefully alot of our 5/5s will visit even if they're on reintro.  I tried starting 5/5 and stayed reasonably compliant, but that really doesn't do it...you just don't get the real experience. So now I know where the sugar free bacon is hidden and what shelf they stick the preservative and sugarfree hot sauce. I know the foods that trigger my eating, the importance of hiding the scale, the joy of starting to know your body. and how good you start feeling as you make it through the withdrawals and start finding your pain free, allergy reduced life.

Okay, I'm off to bed. I will be out of town this weekend and then back to get ready for our adventure.

MamaMiki (aka - Mini)

Tonkasarah - welcome! It sounds like you have a good grasp on what you need to get done before this "bus leaves the station"! If half-n-half is your biggest worry, you are doing really well. I look forward to spending the month of June with you and watching us all succeed.

Mini - have a great weekend out of town? Are you bringing me my bacon? Was this supposed to be a surprise? Did I ruin it?

Dave

I'm going to join you on the 9th Dave!  Absolute newby, but having been reading lots and testing out different meals over the past month.  I'm a little nervous/excited to start but I'm ready.  Tough love always welcomed!    

Mini - I am planning a business trip to Mississippi and Texas soon, but thats as close to the West Coast as I am going to get for awhile. That's more than half way.......

CarlaL - welcome to our group. The first thing you need to do is put together a list of who is bringing snacks to the meetings. Miki is bringing bacon so someone will need to bring Captain Morgan ........(the sugar free, W30 compliant kind...of course).

Please dont hesitate to ask questions as we go thru the program or before we even start. If we dont know the answer we will make something up....I mean...we will point you in the right direction.

The goal of the program is NOT to lose weight, but to learn to eat healthier. It will also (after 21 days) break any addictions you might have to starch, sugars, etc. Most people do lose weight, but weightloss is just a bi-product of the program. Some other benefits are less snoring, better breathing, softer skin, weight loss, looser fitting clothes, less bloating, better sleep, more energy, no acid reflux, less or no allergy symptoms, better paying job, younger/hotter spouse, smarter kids.......(ok, I might have embellished on a couple of them), but for the most part, most people acknoweldge several of these benefits as they go thru. The first week will be tough as you learn to adjust your eating habits (try not to kill co-workers and hide the bodies for donut/bagel day), figure out how much food is enough to hold you until the next meal, etc. Most people say at the end that it went quicker than they thought and have positive things to say about the experience. The best advice I can give you is Stay focused, Stay compliant, Stay strong, Stay positive....and have fun! We will all be going thru this together..........stay with us and we will all get to the end together!

Dave

haha....Dave - I should have mentioned, I'm Aussie - over here few a few months!  Captain Morgan...thank goodness for google!!  I feel like the (awesome) geeky foreigner that gets the joke 5mins later.

Carla - I will try to make my jokes more internationally acceptable. I used to go into Darwin........loved the Northern Territory. Again......welcome!

Mimi - you haven't even lived yet until you've been to these States in the summer............so HOT!

Dave

Dave

Very funny Dave!

Gabenick - How fun to have you on our 6/9 extravaganza. Although I certainly was not compliant on this last whole 30, I was enough that every time I eat something that is not good for me, I realize it almost immediately and I am keeping a log and helping customize my whole 30. I absolutely want to get the most out of this I can. 

It will be so much fun for all of us to do this together. It's nice that eating cleaner is more fun with friends.

Miki

Hi Everyone! Dave, Miki and Gabenick- SURPRISE! I'm starting round 2 with you guys on Monday. My mom started reading "ISWF" and she and my dad are on board! So I've decided to do another round so I can commiserate, support and encourage them. 
I didn't think I'd be starting again so soon so I have to say, I'm really worried about my willpower this time. 
I will have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to take a long break from cooking but it will be kind of hard to jump back into the intensity of cooking every meal. In the next few days I'll be running around with my mom, showing her where to buy coconut aminos, compliant food at Trader Joe's and picking up some things I went without during my first whole30 (like that compliant bacon everyone was talking about in our May 5th thread!) and we're also going to spend a day cooking together, every now and then, to stock up our freezers. I'm hoping that will re-energize me for this round.

I don't know how much/how many inches I lost yet (1 more day!) but I'm feeling pretty great and slim and weirdly- I think that's part of why I'm worried about staying motivated. I don't have any illusions that I could return to old eating habits and stay this way, but I find myself wishing I could make carrot raisin muffins from Practical Paleo instead of eggs for breakfast, and that sort of thing. (SUPER tempted by SWYPO- type foods these last few days!).

PLUS we are visiting family 10 hours away for a week during this round! I think I'll manage but that will definitely be a challenge!!! Oh boy. This is going to require some serious concentration and willpower. Good luck preparing, everyone! 

Abby

Guys I am definitely joining you as well and I'm thrilled to have another month of Dave's humor, Mini/Dave banter, and Bluegrass Mama's support AND to be inspired by how her parents do! Everyone else, it will be a super fun ride. 

I'll be making some AIP modifications (no nightshades, nuts, or seeds) and am looking forward to full compliance all the way through. I'm wrapping my head around it, getting prepped, may have a one night stand before we start (SWMPO) to get it out of my head, and am in it to win it! 

Deb, I'm so excited we'll have you. I'm going to do some mods too. I haven't got my book yet, they must be shipping it from?

Bluegrassmama/mama & papa too,

So glad we'll have you and your parents too.

I am so excited and really inspired by those of you who are turning right around and doing a second W30. I imagine your results will be amazing.

Off to bed...see you all bright and early in the morning.

hugs

m

All,

I was thinking (rarely do this) when we get started next week if it would be helpful (and to make the time go by faster) if we gave each other challeneges to do. Like.....give someone a condiment to make that they had never done before or make a meal that they had never tried? Just trying to think of ideas to keep it fresh and fun for everyone. I don't "go out on a limb" when it comes to food and I figured it would be a good way for me to go outside of my comfort zone. Baby steps at first.....find out that someone likes pork chops and have them find a recipe that calls for porkchops to be made with the cherry BBQ sauce and have them make it......something like that. I'm not asking anyone to eat seaweed for breakfast...(nobody better ask me to eat seaweed for breakfast),but just try to get people to do some searching on the website or on the internet, educate themselves some more, build a better eating foundation, and maybe find something else that they a) like, B) would want to eat, c) might want to share with family or friends, and d) can prove to themselves that they can actually make something other than toaster waffles. Just an idea.......feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Dave

I think that sounds fun! Did you ever make the BBQ sauce. I really haven't used any recipes except for the mayo which turned out great. I"m going to make Deb's tahini lemon dressing.  I'll be out of town till Sunday so am planning on shopping and prepping Sunday night. 

Dave, I'll start by finding a new recipe with yummy bacon. Maybe the bacon wrapped sweet potatoes!

Hugs

MamaMiki

Dave I need an exercise Drill Sergeant...know any in Torrance?

Dave I super love that idea. My least favorite thing is dark green veggies ,I would love to be given a creative challenge around that! 

OR we could do a daily ingredient challenge for the whole group - optional of course. Include this ingredient in at least one meal today.  We could even put out the list a week at a time so that people could shop. 

Archived