9 June Start

dcducks1

Deb, 

That sounds so fun! Yes...a week ahead for following week sounds fun and fair. Perhaps to honor Dr. Dave, we should have pine cones be the first ingredient...with a froz cherry sauce, just a thought.

We are going to have such a good time!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't we brainstorm the first 14 ingredients? Of course, totally optional if anyone wants to work with the ingredient of the day, NO PRESSURE, just a fun creative possibility to share what you did with it. Dave? Everyone?  

Some thoughts:  liver, fennel, olives, jicama, sardines, beets, shrimp, coconut cream, red cabbage, plantains, prosciutto, watermelon, ground turkey, zucchini, kale, bacon, salmon, turnip, sweet potato, chicken breast

(trying to think of budget and also nation/worldwide availability...)

Weigh in peeps!

Okay now, you play rough. I will do any of the above except for the following liver, sardines, plantains  & watermelon (not doing fruit), ground turkey (I can substitute ground chicken,salmon.

Fruit just gets me going. Will stay off nuts and tomatoes as well. going to allow eggs and chilis for the first W30.

lol ok, so maybe we will stick to meat and veg. Plaintains are hard to find overseas too. 

So we're down to: 

fennel, olives, jicama, beets, shrimp, coconut cream, red cabbage, prosciutto, ground turkey, zucchini, kale, bacon, salmon, turnip, sweet potato, chicken breast

Maybe for Week One we keep it very straightforward since some people may not have found their good shopping sources. 

Something like: 

Mon - Sweet Potato

Tue - Chicken Breast

Wed - Red Cabbage

Thu - Beets

Fri - Kale

Sat - Ground turkey

Sun - Olives

What do you think? 

What sayeth Dave> we're a runaway train ;-) 

I'm trying to reread the big part of the book and get  a shopping list going. Bacon, Sweet potato, beets, shredded kale and brussels sprouts, chicken breasts, (I have red cabbage) beets, Ground Turkey (Chicken)...olives. lemons, free range eggs, chicken sausage, shrimp, coconut milk, fresh basil, carrots...WHAT AM I MISSING.

I'm trying to decide if I should take a break from coffee. As I graze through Autoimmune protocols they tend to lump coffee in with nuts and seeds. I suppose at this point it couldn't hurt, although I think I will be super cranky without my coffee. But to heal and hopefully get my life back in order, it's really not hard.

I love the part in the book where they say "please don't say this is hard, fighting cancer is hard, drinking herb tea (slightly changed) instead of coffee is not hard!

Night.

Very funny Dave!

Gabenick - How fun to have you on our 6/9 extravaganza. Although I certainly was not compliant on this last whole 30, I was enough that every time I eat something that is not good for me, I realize it almost immediately and I am keeping a log and helping customize my whole 30. I absolutely want to get the most out of this I can. 

Miki

Miki- I really tried to be compliant but was difficult when I was out of town 3 times last month and one of those trips we scattered my dads ashes.

I am determined to get this w30 done, my first one was great. I am at the point my body is craving veggies and healthy foods.

I am as well prepping my fridge and plan on making a trip to the farmers market this weekend.

I'm actually surprised that W30 allows caffeine given that it has such a significant effect on blood sugar. I'm sure there is a scientific rationale. Personally, I have always been caffeine free, it makes me super speedy so better off without it. Miki, I say, probably its enough to be doing everything else? But if you think you can do it - go for it. 

I too, along with a few loved ones, will starting June 9. This is my first time and I don't mind saying I'm a little asceared! hehe Here is what i do know. I am getting older and the health issues are getting more. I am overweight to the point I can barely walk because of  my knees hurting so bad, they want to do surgery but said I could probably avoid that if I would get the weight off. And my blood sugar is probably at diabetic stages now. Here is the big thing though. I want to live! Not exist. Not move from one health issue to the next. I want to do things still. I love the outdoors, camping, swimming, the beach, but I can't do anything now. I don't want a diet either. I want to learn! I am eating through all my junk food and will be shopping tomorrow and Sun. It's blueberry season here so I am going to hit the farms. Sorry so emotional here. That probably gets worse too, but I don't care. I'll cry my way through this if I have to. Here is to all the other people starting on the 9th with me. Bravo to us!

Just wanted to get on the runaway train too. Great idea! :) I will take the olives on Sunday for $200, 

Sandy, you've picked a good group...most of us have learned a lot,both by our successes and our failures, so you'll have a lot of good input here.

I tried a new hotel in San Diego (to save a couple of bucks (half) and MamaMiki is not excited. Running out to grab a quick bite then hitting the hay early. Looking for a new location tomorrow night and then either driving home or staying somewhere else.

Can't wait to start on Monday, I am so excited, because I know how great I'll feel, in about 10 days.

Miki

Hello all. I am starting my first W30 June 9th as well. So I was happy to find this group. I've been doing - basically - no sugar/no grains and then I went on vacation last week and blew it up! I'm mostly worried about it being summer and no alcohol. We like our cocktails! And then there is the no dairy, cream in my coffee - I'm a bit terrified! But good to see some seasoned people here to come to for support. So TIA!

Beth

Deb, your idea is so brilliant and fun, I'm in! 

There will definitely be days I can't play cause I'll be staying with family 10 hours away so I'll probably just be gnawing on compliant rotisserie chicken for a week.

YOU GUYS I can't find SUGAR FREE BACON!!! I drove up to the big city (Lexington) and went to Whole Foods and looked at every pack and asked the meat/seafood guys and they had none.  :(

I really wanted bacon this round. Oh well. I know I can order it from US Wellness meats but I can't justify the cost.  

But I have a super great menu planned for the week and am honestly looking forward to getting back to whole30, but first, date night!

Bluegrass Mama...bacon helps. The one I get (that DAVE thinks is too salty is Pedersons. I've found it at SOME whole foods so far. Some one else said there is a low sodium bacon at costco that is sugarfree, but I have yet to try that. I may go on Sun. The Pedersons is about $9 for what looks to be a half pound, although I haven't looked at the weight. I use it as flavoring in dish or on a pattly with lettuce and avo.

Beth, when I started my first whole 30 (which sadly I did not get past 8 days or so) I started drinking my coffee black and I have not gone back. Normally I drink it with milk and agave. I do notice that my focus and energy is better in the am....and I do notice I drink more water when my coffee is black. If it is strong coffee...I add a little water and some folks enjoy adding coconut milk (it didn't do anything for me, but give it a whirl).

Several of us have been together for about a month, others longer but we're all good sharers and kind. I was a little to easy on myself the first time, but this time there are no OOPS. Read your labels, stock your refrig. Some salt has sugar, some garlic powder has bad oil...it's a world of landmines.

Summer doesn't even start till June 21. Get fuzzy water, add a smidge of olive juice and add an olive or two and sip that in a hot pink champagne glass...you'll feel fabulous...Dave does it all the time!

Okay, off to get my "black starbucks" here in SD and enjoy the sun and conversation with my girlfriend.

Had I stuck to my first whole 30 I would be doing it thinner and pain free...but I'm looking forward not backwards....No More Bushes! (separate the u from the s, add two lls, space, leave the sh, add it...delete es)...what can I say.

Miki

Bluegrass Mama...bacon helps. The one I get (that DAVE thinks is too salty is Pedersons. I've found it at SOME whole foods so far. Some one else said there is a low sodium bacon at costco that is sugarfree, but I have yet to try that. I may go on Sun. The Pedersons is about $9 for what looks to be a half pound, although I haven't looked at the weight. I use it as flavoring in dish or on a pattly with lettuce and avo.

Beth, when I started my first whole 30 (which sadly I did not get past 8 days or so) I started drinking my coffee black and I have not gone back. Normally I drink it with milk and agave. I do notice that my focus and energy is better in the am....and I do notice I drink more water when my coffee is black. If it is strong coffee...I add a little water and some folks enjoy adding coconut milk (it didn't do anything for me, but give it a whirl).

Several of us have been together for about a month, others longer but we're all good sharers and kind. I was a little to easy on myself the first time, but this time there are no OOPS. Read your labels, stock your refrig. Some salt has sugar, some garlic powder has bad oil...it's a world of landmines.

Summer doesn't even start till June 21. Get fuzzy water, add a smidge of olive juice and add an olive or two and sip that in a hot pink champagne glass...you'll feel fabulous...Dave does it all the time!

Okay, off to get my "black starbucks" here in SD and enjoy the sun and conversation with my girlfriend.

Had I stuck to my first whole 30 I would be doing it thinner and pain free...but I'm looking forward not backwards....No More Bushes! (separate the u from the s, add two lls, space, leave the sh, add it...delete es)...what can I say.

Miki

bcurt - welcome! I look forward to hearing of your many successes as we go thru this together. You will do great.......I hate giving up the cocktails too....but we have to.

Sandy - welcome! I like your attitude and expect you to be the most successful out of all of us! The reason I say that is because I think you will appreciate all the benefits that you start to see.......it won't be easy, the first week can be tough, but it will get easier and the goodness begins to "snowball!" 

Mini - stop telling everyone I drink from a pink champagne glass.......it was a secret!

All - take your measurements and your weight by tomorrow! Write them down where they wont get lost....they will be needed for bragging sessions in 30 days! Next, get rid of the scale....it is off limits for the next month....no exceptions! Stay active on this website, chime in, help others, be kind and supportive, send all payments to me! haha

As you begin to feel better......tell everyone! A positive outlook is going to be your best friend thru all of this. If you expect to fail...you will! Tell yourself .....(don't listen to anyone else)  that this is going to be different, this is going to work. You aren't drinking some shake that "melts away the fat", you aren't on the grapefruit diet, you aren't counting calories or "points". If you have done these in the past...they failed you because they never taught you how to eat healthy! THIS is going to be different! In 30 days you will have definitive proof that it worked. Until then, you might get better sleep, more energy, less acid reflux, better digestion, bowel health, better skin, relief from allergies, joint relief, loose fitting clothes, stronger nails and hair, (one girl from our last group got a better paying job but I don't want anyone to believe that is a normal benefit), and you have more self confidence. You will have succeeded where you had once failed. The better you feel, the more you do, the more you do, the more weight you lose, the less weight, the easier on back and joints. All of this....and much more can be yours if the Price is Right! The price????? Just 30 days! Then, you will dust off the scale.....step on......(jaw drops)...step off....step back on to see if scale really works......pick jaw up again....smile, giggle, laugh, jump up and down......race to get ready to go tell everyone about YOUR success!

get ready!

Dave

So I did my first shopping trip to Publix to prepare (don't know if everyone has those where you are) and I bought mostly meats, some Tilapia, a couple cantaloupes, and YES sugar-free BACON! I didn't think I could score that there but I did. It's Publix brand and states on the label No sugar added and it is not sugar cured. Woot!

And bcurt, I saw on the Facebook page someone else was worried about cream in the coffee and I was too. They said Almondmilk is ok to use in coffee. They said they did not recommend drinking glasses of it but it would be ok to put coffee. I am so dang excited myself.

Now I have to go to Trader Joe's and the farmers market still. I am learning...the grey matter still works! hehe  

Hi everyone!

It seems like kismet that I found you!  I was just finalizing my start date when I came across this group and I would LOVE to join you.  This will be my first official Whole30 although I dabbled for a couple weeks this spring when my cousin was doing it. By dabbled, I mean Whole30 plus wine and lattes -- my achilles' heels.  I did it for two weeks to practice shopping and meals, and even with that mini trial started feeling better.  

I'm not a stranger to elimination diets and have done various cleanses for 10 days to a couple weeks, usually once a year.  The Whole30 is the strictest by far though, so I'm a little nervous.  But I'm signing on for all the health benefits I've been reading about, particularly increased energy and in my case hopefully help with inflammation (I'm very susceptible to tendonitis and have been had a long string of injuries in the past couple years).  My naturopath recommended an anti-inflammatory diet, which eventually led me to Whole30.  And I'd be happy to reduce some of that visceral fat around my belly, and if the diet helps with my occasional depression, all the better!

I had a little false start earlier this week and was sidelined the very first day by a stomach bug.  Now that that has cleared up, I'm ready to roll and excited to start with you people!  I read some of your May group entries and was really impressed.

Can't wait to get started!

Hey everyone I am starting my second whole30 on June 8th so I will just be one day ahead of all of you. I am super excited and overly ready. The one thing I suggest for first timers is to read ALL ingredients on EVERYTHING! Just because the label says something don't believe it till you read the ingredients. You wouldn't want to eat noncomplient food just because you forgot to read. Also if you are unsure of something, ask. There is always someone who will no the answer or will ask and read until they find out for you.

SO happy to meet everyone!

@sandybeached it is awesome that you found the bacon so easily!

@bluegrassmama - I went to about four different Wholefoods before I found one that had it. I wonder if they would order if for you? 

@lcovi81, I totally second that advice - I got burned last W30 eating smoked salmon without reading the label and it turned out that brown sugar was listed as an ingredient. You really do have to be vigilant. 

@dave - what you said

@mamamiki sorry about your hotel! But enjoy SD!

Shall we try an experiment this week of "ingredient of the day" and see how we do, if anyone cares/likes it? NO PRESSURE AT ALL to do it, just a fun lil creative experiment if you feel like it. 

So this week we'll do:

Mon - Sweet Potato

Tue - Chicken Breast

Wed - Red Cabbage

Thu - Beets

Fri - Kale

Sat - Ground turkey

Sun - Olives

The idea is that you incorporate the ingredient of the day into at least one of your meals and share what you ate/your recipe/ whether you liked it or didn't like it or any other thoughts! I will announce them as a reminder the night before. And if no one does it, no worries at all!!! 

One more thing for newbies and oldies, I would like to give a shout out to the crock pot/slow cooker as being so helpful in W30. I've now made two recipes in the slow cooker, both so easy and both so delicious. Also warm and satisfying. I realize that stews are not very summery per se but the recipes make enough for several meals (for one) or would feed a family. Here's what I made last night.  

I'm avoiding nightshades (auto immune)  so I made my own "Nomato" marinara but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Threw in pre chopped onions from Trader Joes, a bunch of the baby carrots that come in the bag from Trader Joes , bunch of those pre peeled garlic cloves, I used red cabbage and apple cider vinegar. I do recommend finding the Red Boat fish sauce, it is yummy. I found pork butt to use at Wholefoods and it was super cheap. 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/8425643634/slow-cooker-cheater-pork-stew

Happy prepping everyone. 

Hey everyone,

I tried to start my whole 30 last week, but was so unprepared that I quickly sank back to overindulging in foods that I should be no where near! So here's to pressing restart, planning out some meals, and hoping for the best!

Hi all: Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm jumping the gun and starting tomorrow, just because whenever I start things on Mondays, I tend to not do them by Tuesday. Maybe reverse logic will work? Anyway, I have literally never gone more than 4-5 days without sugar in some form - I've tried Paleo and Whole30 half-heartedly in the past, and I've always ended up bingeing on carbs after a few days.

Not sure how these forums work, but will there a daily thread within this group? I have a feeling I'm going to need to open my computer each morning to a LOT of support if I'm going to make it through this. Thank you!

Barney.....this is easy......... YOU will make it so! "9 June Start" will be the title for our group and all of the encouragement from the group will be found right here! The first week is the toughest part but you have to set your mind straight from the beginning that you WILL NOT bing! Its ugly for a couple days....I actually got physically dizzy for a day or two while my body looked for the missing sugar intake. You get thru it......just keep the faith and stay the course. Welcome to the group!

Pacie89 - you were not unprepared.....you are very fortunate to wait a week and join our group. THIS GROUP will be very successful and we look forward to you being part of it.

Lcovi81 - great to have you with us.

Deb C - great ideas!

Higs - it sounds like your stomach bug was just stalling you a week to be able to join the best group out there! Glad to have you and get ready to feel better!

DONT FORGET! Weigh and measure tomorrow! Scales are gone for a month Monday morning! For those starting a day early......lose them tomorrow! Have a great night everyone!

Dave

Archived