9 June Start

dcducks1

Hi all! I too will be doing my first w30 starting Monday. I have been paleo off n on the past 2 yrs. ..... a non supportive family and I always cave during family visits. Ready to do this for me and draw boundaries when I need them.

I have periods where I am pretty close to whole 30 except the wine. Lol. But cut that a few months ago and ready to do this. All in baby.

Will do measurements tomorrow. And grocery shopping. ;)

Here's to the next 30 days!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Deb C, great idea for ingredient of the day.  I'm almost entirely stocked except for the cabbage!  I recently found an awesome Paleo ground turkey recipe if anyone wants to cheat and do Friday and Saturday together:

http://paleoinpdx.com/2012/07/20/simple-supper-friday-coconut-turkey-stew/

I've doctored it by adding ginger, galangal and lime to make it really Thai-flavored, and have made it with both chard and kale.  Highly recommend!  And it's fast and easy.  My partner even likes it (he is not doing the Whole30 but likes his with rice).  Yum!

Hey Everyone,

It was fantastic to stumble across this group! I am starting the Whole30 Monday as well, spent all day Saturday prepping for this new adventure and I think I am ready......Gulp!

I'm excited for the increase in energy I keep hearing about! Being a new mom with a non-napping 6 month old, it would be like winning the lottery :)

Wow, we are beaming with determination and positive attitudes.

Welcome Higs, Lcovi, Pacie, Barney, Jenny & Tygger, not to mention all the 5/5s that are now 6/9s.

I to am starting - prepared this time- and failure and oppses are not an option. I may take more naps. I may go to sleep earlier, I may ask a little less of myself, I may journal or blog or sing (no comments Dave) but I will not abuse myself or let my 6/9 team down by breaking my promise to you to tough this how perfectly for just 30 days, in order to find out how much better my life could be!

Tomorrow I will weigh, measure, shop, put my scale away, plan my meals, have caffeine free tea, and focus on all our success. Can't wait to read the recipes starting Monday...Sweet potatoes.

Deb and Dave, thanks for coming up with such fun things to do to keep us focused on the FUN!

I would love to join your group.  I've done whole 30 before and wanted to do it again but just could not get into the proper mindset.  I am hoping with the support of this group, I will be able to succeed.  I have a disordered eating history and body image so I must be careful.  I've read the various posts on eating disorders, and I know the strictness can create problems but I also feel the rules can be a great benefit.   I feel out of control in life (have issues with depression, boyfriend very ill and will receive a stem cell transplant) and need some stability.  I eat mostly paleo but I have about 3 unhealthy gluten free foods that I eat too much of.  Once I have one bite, I have to eat the whole thing.  Moderation does not exist for me.  I do not need to drop weight and I'm in pretty good condition. I exercise almost every day. My goal for the whole 30 is to improve my relationship with food. 

Hello from New Zealand!  I just finished reading " It starts with food" and have decided I want to take the plunge.  My husband and I recently moved to Wellington, NZ from North Carolina almost 4 months ago. I've always loved sweets, but my sweet/carb tooth has been out of control since we moved.  I have been eating like I've been on vacation and filling my time with little treats here and there.  I also do believe I've emotionally been dealing with the move and being so far from friends and family with "eating my feelings"

I'm in need of breaking the cycle and dependence on sugar and that "treat treat" at the end of the day or heck during the day. 

We're active and going to be training for a marathon in a few months.  My goal is to develop a better relationship with food, have a better body image, lose a few of the pounds I've gained since the move, and feel more energized and in control.

Look forward to the support of this group.  I just returned from a trip and haven't been to the store to prep which could be bad news for starting tomorrow, but I'll go to the store first thing in the morning! 

Tygger, Jess, Laurie - welcome! You have stumbled on the best group out there! This is going to be fun, we are ALL going to learn, we are ALL going to succeed! If you have questions.......ask! We will help or find others that can. There are going to be tough days where you feel like its not working, like maybe you have GAINED instead of lost weight, when you are tired, cranky, weak, and almost defeated.......those are the good days! JUST KIDDING! They don't last....they go away and you will begin to notice differences in your health. It takes 21 days to kick an addiction: smoking, drinking, sugar, carbs, etc....., you can do it. THIS IS NOT HARD! IT IS 30 DAYS! Hard is today! Hard is when you were frustrated with your weight, your eating habits, how you felt, what you looked like! Now you are joining the best group on Whole 30 and we will all fly thru this. We will all sit around at the end and drink Green Tea and eat seaweed and talk of our many successes. Actually that doesn't sound that great.......maybe we will re-introduce cocktails and have a nice juicy steak and salad and talk about our many successes! Whether you can see it or fell it........TRUST ME.......your life starts getting better tomorrow!

Go weigh....measure......and PUT THE SCALE AWAY!

Dave

Good morning all!!

I was in the original group 5/5. I learned so much in 15 days that I decided to slowly work into AIP and go for a w45 so I am not entering into your wonderful 6/9 group but I know you are all in good hands. Miki, Dave, Deb Bluegrass Mama and Jamie I hope I didn't miss anyone I can't wait to hear how you are doing this time, what new will come up for you. I am in between beginnings and reintros but I am still learning so much! Someone in the new group here was talking about joint pain, I think it was higs? Anyway I started with serious joint pain and runny stuffy sinuses. Now I am virtually free of pain, I don't even brace myself for the pain anymore cause it's not there and I know it will be gone the more I keep going. My sinuses are down to a 1 on my scale of 10 and I prolly started out at 8, been as bad as 10 for 20 years!! So, long story short for new peeps you CAN do this like Dave says. Its only 30 days, really that is not hard. 

Also wanted to say for newbies something that really helped me was signing up for the newsletter. Along with your new friends here on the forum you will get encouragement, information and TONS of resources to make your journey a success! 

Please, please, please (as quoted to me) put away the scale! And you are not alone all of these people and me and others just reading this are here for you. If you are having a low, confusing upsetting point, talk about it. There are many issues that will come up that may surprise you!

Well I'm done, off my soap box, Good Luck, hang in there!

Go!  Go!  Go!

I just signed up for the daily email, took measurements, put the scale away and took some selfies in the mirror.  Yikes, that will get me kicked in the rear.  Tonight will be all meal prep.  I am lucky to live on a small farm and have more duck and chicken eggs than I can eat, so there are a lot of frittatas in my future.  The veg garden is producing a lot of kale, and the strawberries will be ripe any day now.  By the end of the Whole30, there will be lots of home grown tomatoes and green beans to look forward to!  

Good luck everyone!

Marita we miss you already!

Everyone else, welcome!

Jess, I am a Kiwi who grew up in Wellington! I've lived in the US now for 24 years and am a citizen BUT I can only imagine how you're being tempted by NZ's sweet and savory treats. And the wine....

Ok 6/9 -ers, here we go with our ingredient of the day. For those who are new, a bunch of us 5/5-ers who are launching into our second W30 tomorrow, decided it would be fun to announce an ingredient of the day just for a little more creativity and inspiration. Its completely optional to do anything about it (I know some folk will sometimes feel they have enough to think about just getting through each day fully compliant, myself included)  but if you'd like to, you can cook with it, eat it, talk about it, or just think about how you might like to use it in the future - AND of course report your findings back to the rest of us!!! And seriously, no pressure. Only if its fun. 

SO our first ingredient of the day for tomorrow is - SWEET POTATO 

Don't forget that white sweet potatoes as well as the orange ones are both W30 compliant. 

Jess that's kumara for you!

I'm thinking mashed, baked, roasted, hash browned, baked and then flattened out to use as a base for toppings, yummmm

Here are some links to recipes for added inspiration:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/39652213611/whole30-day-4-sweet-potato-hash-eggs

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/11/07/crispy-oven-baked-sweet-potato-fries/

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=5328578

http://gutsybynature.com/2013/09/23/sweet-potato-apple-pancetta-hash/

http://grokgrub.com/2013/06/10/recipe-sweet-potato-quiche/

(make sure any pancetta or bacon is sugar free)

http://www.allthingsgd.com/2013/11/buffalo-chicken-sweet-potato-skins-paleo-whole30/

http://sarahlynnsmile.com/2013/11/03/one-dish-sweet-potato-shepherds-pie-paleo/

ENJOY!! GOOD LUCK WITH DAY 1!

And for those just coming in, here's our list of "IOD"s for this week:

Mon - Sweet Potato

Tue - Chicken Breast

Wed - Red Cabbage

Thu - Beets

Fri - Kale

Sat - Ground turkey

Sun - Olives

I am new to Whole 30, and have never done Paleo. My husband is joining me on this journey, and it would be great to be able to check in here with questions. I'm nervous about the plan, but excited to get started. I'm heading off to the grocery store as we speak to get stocked up!

Cassie

Have my food all prepped for the week! It took a while, but thanks to theclothesmakethegirl.com it was very much organized chaos in my kitchen. :)

Look forward to checking in with everyone!

Cheers to feeling better!

Beth

Wow, I love the reception I got in this group and am feeling very welcomed and positive. I welcome all the other newbies also to this most awesome 6/9 group. Let's succeed as a group! I want to you to feel like you can count on me as I am counting on you to help me. 

I have a couple questions before I hit the store tonight: can we have nutritional yeast and what seasonings are the best? I found a recipe for salad dressing that I will make but I am at a loss for seasons. 

I have a couple questions before I hit the store tonight: can we have nutritional yeast and what seasonings are the best? I found a recipe for salad dressing that I will make but I am at a loss for seasons. 

Welcome!

Here's the scoop on nutritional yeast: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/242-nutritional-yeast/?hl=yeast#entry37035

On seasonings, the sky is the limit. Just be sure any seasonings you use do not contain off-plan ingredients like soy, gluten, sugar/sweetener and sulfites (listed in spices as sulfur dioxide).

Today is my start date (9th)- have also been a non compliant paleo person- making far too many paleo treats... going to try going whole and clean... so here we go, eggs and banana done for breakfast, dinner sorted for when I get home... need to think about lunch on the run- a chicken salad I think...

Goodbye vodka tonic...  Hello kale!

Looking forward to getting started and getting to know all you fine people these next 30 days.  This seems like a GREAT group off to a great start!

For my part:  I cranked up the David Bowie and did a ton of food prep this afternoon.  I got my partner (who is rolling his eyes at this whole thing and won't be participating) to try some roasted garlic and cauliflower puree, and he LIKED it.  Go figure!

Happy Day 1 to you all.  Sleep well tonight!

Well, they must have heard how incredible Miki is because  they flocking in........this is a great group...very positive.....welcome all. We will start tomorrow.....weight/measure tonight....lose/hide the scale for one month....success is right around the corner. Please ask questions......we will find answers (thanks GFchris for chiming in so quickly).

Tonight I made smoked pork ribs with the cherry BBQ sauce......uh....yeah......it was that good! I only smoked them for .....8 HOURS....and they kind of fell off the bone! This isn't torture.....its just eating RIGHT!

Have a great night....success starts tomorrow!

Dave

Hi everyone!  It's June 9th here in New Zealand, so it's 1:30 pm on my first day.  I made a great avocado, grape tomato, cucumber salad - just mixed in garlic, olive oil, and lime.  I also had a sweet potato, 2 slices of smoked chicken, and strawberries.  My grocery bill was nuts - so hopefully I'll get better next week with picking less expensive meals.  Tonight I'm making grilled salmon with avocado and sweet potato fries.

I bought grass fed beef medallions.  I've never cooked with these before.  Does anyone have a suggested recipe.  I can't find the coconut aminos here - but I haven't look too hard yet.

Hi kids,

I will start tomorrow. am roasting zucchini, baking chicken, have tuna (with jicama and radishes) over arugula, sweet potatoes baking.

I can't wait to start. I have a Loose weekend and I'm feeling terrible. Weight is at an all time high, which is why we're here.

I decided to drop coffee too, so I know I'll have a couple of tough days, but am looking forward to the lower pain and higher energy phase.

30 days of perfection!

Need to weigh and measure still...coming up, sigh.

Miki

So Murphy found me! My family had a meltdown unrelated to what I am doing here but totally distracting. I did not get a chance to finish my shopping. I do have organic eggs and cantaloupe for breakfast and I can go after that. Geez, really? Trying to trip me up before I even get started.

I am glad to be a part of this group too. It seems we are lucky to have so much experience here. 

I guess the only thing to worry about is that Dave drinks from a pink champagne glass... D'oh :)

SO I decided to start eating compliant one week ago since I seem to cave during day 3-5 and join in for the start and with my luck..... I go out to eat and get food posing from a ribeye!! I am so not happy:( I had a 7-up today and sipping on gross progresso broth (I got desperate, I was getting light headed. 3 of us had the same thing and all ended sick, I called the restaurant ad they didn't really seem to care.

So 6/9 will be the official start date ...again for this 5/5'er.

I will measure in am before breakfast since I am not up for it. This is a great group with great support. Day 1 here we come!

Oh Sandy,

There are actually several things you need to worry about with Dave, but I can run those down for you in a private email! It has something to do with pinecones, old cars, garage floor painting, pants falling off, etc.

I'm glad you see your murphys syndrome for what it is, don't allow it to derail you. Eat your breakfast, if you don't have time to shop, keep it simple, a veggie, tuna and a little sweet potato...then get to the store and cook up a bunch of good food.

I bought 4 cans of low sodium all white tuna without additives (like soy) and I will have that and a veggie if I have to. I will not allow anyone to take this away from me, especially not me.

I believe the 6/9s are an unstoppable group!.

Gabenick,

We are super happy to have you, sadly wish it wasn't under these circumstances.

I would recommend you call the health  department...who knows if it is the meat or restaurant or.

I hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

MamaMiki

Guest Andria

Ok, I am going to dive in for the June 9 start date. This sounds like a supportive and charismatic group!! I am embarrassed to say that I have only made it 19 days into a Whole30, despite the fact that I comment on the forum like I know what I am doing!!! Ha ha. Well, I think I know what I SHOULD be doing, but I seem to always find a way out of it. I like to talk myself out of it because it's too restrictive, I can manage a little sugar here and there, I am tired, I am sick of cooking, I worked a long stressful 12 hr day and I deserve it, blah, blah, blah....

I don't have a support group at home so I think I would do best to commit to a group!!

Weigh and measure myself tomorrow morning.

@Higs, is that your goat giving you kisses in your avatar?? I am so jealous, I loooove goats! (I have a funny story about one who was my patient while I was in veterinary med school!)

Ok it has taken me 10 minutes to hit the post button and commit to this!!!

Archived