9 June Start

dcducks1

Slept downstairs in a chair with an ice pack on. Finally got in bed about 3am when I just didn't care anymore! Shoulder feels extra "squishy" today with fluid, swelling, and cortisone. Took my son to swim practice this morning and then ran some errands getting groceries, new shoes for kids, flowers to plant for wife....blah blah blah!

Had tuna with my homemade mayo for lunch, taking boys to movie this afternoon.........Wife to dinner tonight!

Had crazy dreams about having to carry large trays of pastries thru a crowd of college students. It seems there were three colleges congregated together and my job was to carry trays of pastries thru them and the next thing I know I am going thru narrow brick passageways and old brick buildings......reminded me of Sicily. I know this means something significant and my male brain says that it means that I am not getting sex enough! This is also what my brain says when I have a sunburn, rash, dry mouth, headache, sprained ankle, fever, bloated, upset stomach, need a haircut, etc. As you can tell, I am very "in-tune" to my body! The problem is I want to be "in-tune" with my wife's!

Heading to movie...enjoy the day!

Dave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CC- looking forward to hearing your reviews on VEGGETTI --looks pretty cool

Anna- Isn't it amzing what three weeks of "Good Eats" (Deb & CC that is for you)  will do for us - I too plan to take reintro slowly but I'm pretty sure chickpea won't be my first entry :)

Deb, looking forward to stone fruit - so many wonderful recipes, so little time.

Lily - love the pictures - thanks!!

My dining out experience went very well last night - I wish I had a video of our service provider when I was placing my order. By the time I was done cutting things from my "salad" I had lettuce - add a little salt and pepper, it was yummy.

Felt pretty good this morning, nose was a little more athletic than it was been the last few days, but all good now. SO I am pleased.

HAve a great day all and a wonderful July 4th weekend!

Happy 4th of July Eve!

I had to hold myself back from posting a picture with one chickpea, but opted instead for my hound, AKA "Mole Killa"

post-47080-0-71763900-1404409162_thumb.j  Gotta work on size of images, huh.  You won't even be able to see my 

chickpea!

Dave - it's easy to see that steroid shot is seriously affecting your male brain already!  Good luck with that.  

Higs - do your ducks lay eggs?  I love the term "felfie".  I think I might take some with my plants and call them "gelfies!"  Your santa hat pics must be hysterical!  I do that to my dogs every year, except with reindeer antlers.  

DebC - cooking reality shows are my fave! Was not taught how to cook by mom, so cooking is something I've come to enjoy in retirement.  I think they sometime ought to show the clean-up team so maybe I could learn some tips to make it less painful, and those folks might be more entertaining!  I know all about those short shorts at work.  I have a vivid memory telling a student her skirt was inappropriately too short - something like "gyn clinic is not an opportunity to play I'll show you mine, you show me yours."  Back in the day when you could tell people what they couldn't wear to work.  Same girl wore stappy high-heel sandals in the OR.  So sorry that irrigation fluid just happened to pour over the side of the drape onto your toes...  Dave, I'll bet you have some good stories to tell!

Anyone else thinking about re-intro yet?  I would love to put some cream back in a cup of coffee but I think I would lose all sense of control, so for now, think my next 30 days will still omit dairy.  

Awww, sweet dog, Anna! If you clock on the thumbnail you'll get a bigger image.

I do get duck eggs but unfortunately I'm not eating any right now. I realized about a week in to W30 they were making me nauseous. So I took out all eggs for now and will reintroduce them later this month.

I'm thinking a lot about re-intros and have been struggling with where to start. Partly it's because I want to keep going, so I'm starting to consider a whole45. I'd do a whole60 but the big trip we have in August would conflict and I am not planning on anything close to compliance then. So I want to do reintros before that trip so I don't make myself sick going crazy off the wagon on August.

Frankly, I'm just not really ready to be done.

Also Anna: I neglected to respond before. I do have chickens and really enjoy them. There's nothing like farm fresh eggs, and the yolks are such a rich orange color when they get to eat all the fresh greens they want. Last year I rested the veg garden and let the hens scratch around on there also summer. They ate all the blueberries (comical to see them jumping to get every one of them).

I have dairy goats but they're not bred so I don't get milk. Someday I would love to, but it's too big a time commitment for what I can do right now. How long until retirement???

Higs, love your exotic meats - so impressed, is this from a butcher in Portland or closer to you? I need to search some out here in LA. Your breakfast sounds yummy. I am a duck/fat convert! Had chicken breast for lunch today and oh it was not the same.

Felfies! Hilarious. Your farm life does sound enviable. There is a blog I love about a woman who has a sanctuary for old donkeys and goats - she is in Oregon - I wonder if its anywhere near you? I love to read of their farm doings. http://apiferafarm.blogspot.com/

Anna, Mole Killa is just gorgeous and looks very innocent "who me? whack a mole? never" 

Wondering how Dave's arm is feeling.

Miki I so love your girls hiking/no food excursion, what a great idea. 

Laurie - how are you? 

I love Rose's idea of Rosann on a secret macaron mission!!!!!

Did we lose Sandy or did she get caught up in moving? 

CC, Veggetti looks super cool! Can't wait to hear what you make. 

Sadie lol on the lettuce, I have been there "hold the nuts, tomatoes, tahini and croutons"

I had a non scale victory today, my biggest weight scrutinizer at work, Spin Girl told me she thought I had lost "around ten pounds maybe". Wow! I'll take it. I don't own a scale so that's the best I'm gonna get. I don't really see it myself. 

Squash recipes to come. 

And HOME for the weekend now - YAYYYYYYYY!!!! 

Will be doing some serious food organization for the week ahead. 

We had the CRAZIEST day at work today! Rick really wanted to go to a bar, but I convinced him to go to the movies instead!  We brought along a small packet of nuts for each of us so we didn't feel popcorn deprived.

I have to say that we are getting used to this restaurant eating!  We went out to dinner tonight, and my first reaction to the menu was "I can't eat anything here!" But I didn't panic.  I had a pork chop with a poached egg, hold the dumpling, hold the cheese hold the grain (I don't remember what that was).  They added a side of kale, which was not fabulous, but it was compliant.  I'm realizing that most restaurants are very accomodating, and not at all resentful with the changes.

We ended the night with a shopping trip to the local healthy market. My, how are lives have changed in the past 3 weeks!

We'll soon call it a night. Again, so grateful you are all here - I love reading your posts, and especially love the pet pictures!!

We had the CRAZIEST day at work today! Rick really wanted to go to a bar, but I convinced him to go to the movies instead!  We brought along a small packet of nuts for each of us so we didn't feel popcorn deprived.

I have to say that we are getting used to this restaurant eating!  We went out to dinner tonight, and my first reaction to the menu was "I can't eat anything here!" But I didn't panic.  I had a pork chop with a poached egg, hold the dumpling, hold the cheese hold the grain (I don't remember what that was).  They added a side of kale, which was not fabulous, but it was compliant.  I'm realizing that most restaurants are very accomodating, and not at all resentful with the changes.

We ended the night with a shopping trip to the local healthy market. My, how are lives have changed in the past 3 weeks!

We'll soon call it a night. Again, so grateful you are all here - I love reading your posts, and especially love the pet pictures!!

Well, you're about as sweet as they come.  That I know.   I'm glad you and your husband had a good time.

Our ingredient of the day is SQUASH! In all its forms! But I also realize its July 4 tomorrow so I will truncate squash a little and add some July 4 appropriate fun snacks and recipes as well. 

SQUASH

Butternut Squash Fries

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2011/09/butternut-squash-fries.html

Coconutty Butternut Squash

http://whole9life.com/2010/11/steal-this-meal-thanksgiving-part-iii/

Roasted Butternut Squash 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2346026303/roasted-butternut-squash-in-lard

Sunnyside Egg over Butternut Squash and Spicy Ground Beef

http://wholefoodhalfass.com/post/18082036405/recipe-sunny-side-egg-over-butternut-squash-and-spicy

Roasted Kabocha (Japanese) Squash

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/41440300414/whole30-day-25-roasted-kabocha-squash

Roasted Acorn Squash

http://leafparade.com/2013/09/23/roasted-acorn-squash-with-sage-and-nutmeg/

Orange Acorn Squash Ginger Soup

http://www.acalculatedwhisk.com/2014/01/orange-ginger-squash-soup-whole30-day-1.html

Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs

http://www.thestonybrookhouse.com/2013/06/whole-30-spaghetti-and-meatballs.html

Worcestershire sauce is typically not compliant, use coconut aminos instead, or make your own! http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/349-worcestershire-sauce/

Spaghetti Squash Puttanesca

http://theyogickitchen.blogspot.com/2014/05/whole30-vegetarian-day-11-spaghetti.html

Summer Squash Casserole

http://www.janssushibar.com/summer-squash-casserole/

Spiralized Yellow Squash Curry

http://www.nuttyabouthealth.com/2014/01/10/spiralized-yellow-squash-curry-recipe/

JULY 4

A whole bunch of W30 July 4 recipes in this link 

http://whole9life.com/2012/06/a-whole30-fourth-of-july/

oh wow and this one "Throw a Summer Shindig":

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/54446185364/throw-a-paleo-summer-shindig

Summer Salads

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/05/21/paleo-summer-salads-potlucks/

Grilling in this one:

http://popularpaleo.com/2014/05/18/paleogrilling/

Summer Cookout Recipes!

http://www.fitwit.com/blog/2014/06/18/summer-cookout-recipes/

HAPPY FOURTH EVERYONE!

Kiddlywinks,

A good day to you all from soggy bottomed Ireland. My poor pirate cat is winking desperately at me through the window because I can't find the cat food that I bought him yesterday and I've run out of his usual stuff. Am about to do something stupid and give him some prosciutto...does prosciutto upset cat bellies? Can't let blinky mcgee starve. Maybe he can share my breakfast of swede, Mexican shredded pork shoulder and fried egg. But if prosciutto is bad for cats, surely spicy-ass Mexican food isn't going to fly either? Oh the dilemmas of feeding a cat you don't own. He's the cutest ugly cat in the world with his gummy eyes and poked out front tooth. A huge, filthy, bad tempered feline. Apart from the hugeness (I am a more moderate 5'4), I relate to this beast on the doorstep. Also, we have similarly champagne tastes that we can't afford to follow through on. This cat will not eat dry cat food or cheap lunch meat. Oh No. Gotta have premium from the people he hoodwinks. I have respect for a homeless animal that won't accept anything but the best.

A lot of animal lovers in this group, maybe that's where the non-judgmental, supportive vibe has its source. Animal lovers unite! But not in a weird, lets make our pets wear little shoes and sweaters kind of way. Santa hats I can get behind (I love the bruised dignity an animal exudes when forced to wear a holiday costume) but vajazzled wellington boots are too far man.  Higs, I found your luckless turkey really rather appealing looking. Unfortunately for the poor turkey, I also find eating him very appealing. Omnivores cannot allow sentimentality in the door. When my vegan sister in law gets going I always think about how an animal would behave in my shoes. (Obviously I would not make the animal wear shoes for this mental exercise) Truth is, if an animal happened on me in the woods and I was in a weakened state, you think he's going to pass on that free meal? Hells to the no. An oversimplification, yes indeed. Who has time to get deep into the moral rabbit hole of arguing for meat eating? A debate for another day and another audience.

Yesterday I set my pedantry the challenge of working a couple of oft confused words into my daily story. I wish now that I had not done so, because my story today is about taking my kids to a play centre, and one of those words cannot really be safely employed with regard to that environment.

So, I decided yesterday to walk to the bookstore to get my kids school books for September. This is about 6 miles round trip pushing a stroller that is doubly encumbered by a 2-year-old and a four-year-old, both of whom are seasoned wrigglers. The carriage is somewhat handicapped by an errant front wheel that goes its own way, particularly if the vehicle is weighted down. En route to the bookstore we pass my son's favourite place in the universe, the play centre. He was being a super-cool dude, so I promised that on the way home we would go in for an hour. After a semi-successful shopping interlude, my little guy became perversely agitated and did not want to comply with my earlier promise. He wanted to go home and sit on me like an angry elf with a sore head. (I sometimes think that child views me as little more than an armchair that absorbs bad humors). Nonetheless, I kept my promise to bigboy bananapants, and little dude was mollified by the presence of the enormous plush polar bear. Five minutes after leaving my big guy informed me that his belly was full of the peepee. In a move that must have appeared both furtive and perverted, I held him sideways over the grassy verge and let him pee with abandon. Roadside entertainment for all.  

I do not recommend attempting this overly ambitious feat after a workout, while under the heavy hand of PMS. But somehow, by the grace of improved hormonal stability, we survived the experience and my triceps are better than ever.

Love and a hootenanny for your fourth celebrations,

Rose 

Rose Darling,

For starters, I'm feeling a bit blue and sorry for myself today as my boys are all grown up. I set aside the day for my boys, but they forgot to tell me they have their own plans all day but they'll be for bbq. 

"Oh, No prob, I'll just sit home and cook baked beans all day, finish the laundry, tidy the house and prepare a feast while you've all had your day".

However, while reading your post and being exhausted just listening to it (mind you Dave could have done it with just one hand) I thought,

"how lucky am I to have two grown boys who can entertain myself and I can go in the jacuzzi and then take a nap, only to feel refreshed when they come home for dinner"

The perspective change was priceless.

I too an enamored with the Santa Hatted Tom, maybe that is what threads us together.

My cats are a bit Odd (no, they don't take after their owner) but they like, scrambled egg a lot, can of tuna, leftover meat & veggies, olives (especially when soaked in KettleOne) and they are now acquiring a taste for sweet potato...so far, no one is worse for wear.

Miki

Morning all,

Dad is coming to visit for the weekend so my check-ins will be limited for a few days.  We have lots of projects lined up (I'll think of you, Dave!) and hopefully will get a good hike in too.  I spend a ridiculous amount of $$ at Whole Foods yesterday stocking up for the weekend in which Dad will join my Whole30 with style!  (He also gets cheese and wine, because he is helping me with all these chores I have lined up for us.)  Hooray for Dad!

Deb:  I get my meat from a wholesaler called NickyUSA.  Normally they supply to restaurants but they also package a few retail meats that I can get at a local grocery store.  If I could find someone locally to split an order with me, I would order in much larger quantities and stock up the freezer!  You can get anything there, check these out.  But you have to order in wholesale quantities.

http://nickyusa.com/products

I wasn't familiar with Apifera Farm, but they're not too far from me - a little over an hour, maybe?  Looks like a great blog!  I have a neighbor who has a potbelly big rescue.  When we went to visit, she was living with her three little daughters and 82 pigs and was completely overwhelmed.  It was quite a sight.  We had a lovely afternoon feeding them fig newtons and learning first hand that we did not want to adopt a pot bellied big, after all.

Rose: my tom turkey is much too old for fine dining, but he is a fabulous guard turkey and will gobble at any loud noise.  Most of my animals hate their santa hats and forlornly accept my attempts to fasten little hats on their heads.  But Bella actually seems to enjoy hers.  Photo to follow.  

As far as your little dudes go, I love the image of you holding your boy over the grass so he can whiz at will.  Go mama!  It sounds like your energy and strength is becoming more and more boundless!

Miki:  I love your approach to the 4th.  Since your day is already set aside, you get to spend it on YOU!  Kick back, have a soak and your nap!  That sounds lovely.

We're grilling salmon tonight and I have club soda while Dad and partner enjoy a nice Oregon pinot.  I'll make a giant salad and probably some cauliflower rice and do something with the AMAZING cherries that are in season right now.  Does this seem like the best cherry season in years to any of you?  Oh. My. God.  I can't get enough of them.  Or maybe it's just that everything tastes better now.

Still thinking about re-intros.  I think my first food to re-intro will be corn, primarily because we're meeting friends at a fabulous taco place for dinner next Weds and I would love to have a fish taco.

Way to go, all!

Higs, love the Felfie!!!! That Nicky Farms website is awesome, thank you. I might have to order some rattlesnake  :D

I can't believe your neighbor has 82 rescue pigs, wow, that really is a lot. Last year I had four foster cats in a one bedroom apartment and I thought that was a lot!  Yes enjoy the time with your Dad and that fish taco will be amazing.

Yes we are all meat eating animal lovers. 

Rose, omgggg that was a VERY ambitious outing. Two kids, a stroller, and 6 miles? Wowowowwwwwww. Impressive handling!

As for catssssss I think prosciutto would be ok because its pure meat. You have to watch out for salami and stuff like that with its spices and additives and things. My furry guy is loving paleo, his favorite is the chicken livers, he is relentless and fearless in his pursuit, with the pate, he'll get up on the table and try to lick it off whatever I'm eating it on. Really naughty. I fed my old cat (RIP) an all raw (meat) diet, and felt like it helped his medical conditions (he also loved any and all taco meat - I once lived in a place where the taco truck parked across the street - EVERY DAY and we ate A LOT of tacos), I'd like to transition to that with this guy, our cats in NZ spent their lives eating meat and offal (thanks to my Mom)  - we never had canned cat food in the house -  and they lived to be in their 20s.  Yes, I think I'm a vet as well as a doctor, and Martha Stewart :P  But Higs I think you're more qualified for the title!

Miki, I love your July 4 plans! A day for you, yeah! 

Gorgeous day here in Socal, enjoy it everywhere and stay safe everyone!

We're having a terrific 4th in Virginia!  Rick and I completed a very tough 14 mile ride this morning. The folks who gave directions for the route must have made some assumptions about our fitness level based on our professional looking helmets and bike shorts. We were in way over our heads, but never gave up, and did not walk the bikes up one single hill!

Rick scored a dinner invite from our neighbors. Of course, I panicked (that's my role). So he called them and told them we are doing whole 30, and they are serving grilled chicken and kale salad! I'm over my limit on the kale this week, but appreciate the flexbility.

We're going out on the lake with them tonight to watch the fireworks. I'm looking forward to it!

Happy 4th!

After 23 years of honorable service, I did the most patriotic thing I could think of today...........NOTHING! I even took a nap. I fixed nothing, I worked on nothing,...... I did nothing! For one day, it was fine. Tomorrow I will be full speed ahead again. Hope everyone has a great day. Rose......excellent humorous writing, as usual. Thanks for the laughs

Dave

Hope everyone had a lovely July 4th here in the US of A! 

HERBS AND SPICES are the ingredient of the day FOR EVERYONE TOMORROW! A little herb and/or a little spice can turn an ordinary meal into an extraordinary one. Use lavishly!

HERE WE GO!

Parsley, Arugula and Basil Pesto

http://www.honeygheeandme.com/2014/06/dairy-free-pesto-wbasil-arugula-parsley-paleo-whole-30/

Lemon Parsley Grilled Zucchini

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/08/10/lemon-parsley-grilled-zucchini/

Balsamic Strawberries with Mint and Pistachios

http://princessmisia.com/blog/?p=3566

Pineapple, Mint and Lamb Kebabs

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/pineapple-mint-and-lamb-kebabs/

Grilled Chicken with Mint and Pine Nut Gremolata

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-chicken-with-mint-pine-nut-gremolata-10000001981732/

Rosemary and Mint Rack of Lamb

http://paleoly.com/rosemarymintrackoflamb/

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Garlic and Rosemary

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe/roasted-pork-tenderloin-with-whole-garlic-and-rosemary

Rosemary Parsnip Fries

http://idreamofprotein.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/w30-update-rosemary-parsnip-fries-vegan/

Beef and Parsnip Stew with Marjoram

http://gutsybynature.com/2014/02/06/beef-and-parsnip-stew-with-marjoram/

Grilled Whole Shrimp with Lemon and Marjoram

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/grilled-whole-shrimp-with-lemon-and-marjoram-recipe.html

Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Oregano and Parsley Chimichurri

http://livinthecrunchylife.blogspot.com/2013/10/roasted-cauliflower-steaks-with.html

Italian Meatballs with Spicy Sauce

http://food-trotting.tumblr.com/post/43200002299/recipe-whole30-italian-meatballs-with-cousin-jasons

Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fritters

http://theascentblog.com/whole30-recipe-cinnamon-sweet-potato-fritters/

Baked Cinnamon Apples

http://www.makewithyourhands.com/2013/02/baked-cinnamon-apples-whole30.html

Anti Inflammatory Turmeric Tea – AIP

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/anti-inflammatory-turmeric-tea/

Spicy Turmeric Chicken

http://www.theironyou.com/2012/09/spicy-turmeric-chicken.html

Ginger Chicken

http://www.agirlworthsaving.net/2012/06/ginger-chicken-recipe.html

Pineapple Ginger Chicken Wings

http://saypeas.com/2013/08/22/whole-30-appetizer-pineapple-ginger-chicken-wings/

Thai Chopped Salad with Lime Ginger Dressing

http://fromcuptocup.blogspot.com/2014/01/thai-chopped-salad-with-lime-ginger.html

Lamb “Sliders” with Ginger Cilantro Aioli

http://everydaypaleo.com/lamb-sliders/

Roasted Acorn Squash with Sage and Nutmeg

http://leafparade.com/2013/09/23/roasted-acorn-squash-with-sage-and-nutmeg/

Ras El Hanout

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/01/10/these-are-a-few-of-my-favorite-things-ras-el-hanout/

Moroccan Grilled Lamb Chops with Ras El Hanout and Charmoula

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/04/grilled-lamb-chops-with-charmoula-low-carb.html

Moroccan Spiced Chicken Noodle Soup

http://meatified.com/moroccan-paleo-chicken-noodle-soup/

Steak Salad with Cumin Spiced Sweet Potatoes

http://wee-eats.com/2014/06/17/whole-30-barbacoa-steak-salad-with-cumin-spiced-sweet-potatoes/

Cucumber Noodles with Coconut Cumin Lime Dressing

http://digimomswhole30recipes.blogspot.com/2013/10/cucumber-noodles-with-coconut-lime.html

Roasted Cabbage with Cracked Caraway and Coriander

http://www.essentialomnivore.com/roasted-cabbage-with-cracked-caraway-and-coriander/

Coriander Pork Chops

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com/2014/03/paleo-coriander-pork-chops.html

Shrimp Vindaloo

http://www.worthypause.com/2012/12/paleo-shrimp-vindaloo.html

Archived