9 June Start

dcducks1

Everyone so active today love love love!!!

@gabenick2 Food poisoning so sucks, my sympathies

@Dave @bluegrass_mama I LOVE CAPTAIN MORGAN. I myself had a big huge helping of coconut cream/raw honey ice cream yesterday as my last hurrah  (thank you Los Angeles for having such places) and binged on dates and grapes. Both compliant (not the honey) but not in binge form. So today we start! 

@Duke where are you located? You seem to be far ahead of us timewise, just curious. 

I had my slow cooked pork stew with some parsley for breakfast, awesome. 

Was super frazzled this morning but determined to use our IOD - sweet potatoes! Chopped them up and threw them in the oven along with some sugar free bacon fat while I got ready for work. Bundled them boiling hot into a mason jar and can't wait to eat them. 

One of the things I struggle with on W30 is hunger so I am interested in and grateful for @GFChris's input. 

I have a small appetite so at mealtimes get full pretty fast. But then before the next meal, I am starving and start to feel low blood sugar and very cranky. 

I'm also going to have to figure out food portability, I found myself in a situation last night where I had only fruit to snack on, and was at an event for 7 hours where the only option was a vegetarian Indian buffet - delicious - but lentils, rice ,veggies with dairy, etc, nothing that I felt like risking. So I got HANGRY to the point of distraction. I hadn't anticipated being there that long. Anyways it was good to consider future planning for situations like that. Tonight I won't get home til 930 so I packed lunch AND dinner to have at work. I am more of a spontaneous cook than a planner but yes, W30 is better when you plan well I think. 

Thats my 2c for the morning, back later to talk about tomorrow's IOD!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, am beginning Whole30 today - June 9.  I'm excited/nervous -- probably about like anyone who is beginning for the first time.  The "fun" part of my participating in this eating program is that I own a bakery business specializing in French macarons.  That means no new creations for 30 days because I can't taste any of the new fillings or shells.   Should make for an interesting 30 days.  I'm determined, however.  I know it will be difficult, but I need to feel more in control of my food choices.  I wish us all good health and fun experiences!

Hi all! I started on Friday, but slipped up on Saturday and had raisins with added sugar, so I restarted my e-mails and officially started today. I did all my meal prepping and cooking for the week last night and double-triple checked every darn label. I am looking forward to helping each other out, and not having to restart for the 18th millionth time. I will make it for the full 30 days, and hopefully keep on past that. 

LegallyGoofy....can we just call you Goofy?........You slipped up for a reason and that is to get the opportunity to join the best Whole30 group on the internet! We got ya....you are in good hands. Welcome to the group and have fun.

Dave

reading everyone's posts and i'm smiling and nodding along....  ditto!!!

i too drank last night, although simply because i know i can't for the next 30 days, which is just plain silly.  my headache and lack of sleep this morning were not an enjoyable monday-morning accessory.   thankfully all passed once i ate.

my co-workers definately tease me about eating dinner for breakfast.   i also get some irritated grumpy noises when i smell up the kitchen at 9am with meatloaf or heaven-forbid, fish!   

i too made my list of all my "unhappy" ailments, which is a depressing activity itself, to be faced in writing with all the negative things you just deal with everyday.   i spent some time, thoughtfully writing about health related areas that could be better, and then put it away, to not think about again for another 30 days.  i hope there will be a reward when reading it later.  i think there is a fair amount of energy that goes into "dealing" with these issues and trying to ignore them.  i would love to focus some of that energy to other areas.

overall optimistic about my decision to participate more fully in my self-care & love.  

having quit sugar before, i know there will be a few icky days coming up. (esp after enjoying that bag of reeses mini-cups on sat.!) so i try to eat until just past full, (not uncomfortable though)  and focus on getting the good fats, and that seems to help me a lot in the first week.  

continued support to you all!

Okay, Wow!  I introduced myself and then read some (most!) of the posts here.  Guess that was backwards. This is an active board.  Will it stay under the "9 June Start" so I can find it tomorrow?  I don't spend tons of time on the computer, but I want to check in once or twice a day.  Some of ya'll (yes, ya'll -- I live in Florida) sound so knowledgeable.  If you could please just send that knowledge to me via however you want, it will make my life so much easier.  I am sooooo new to all of this.  My previous healthy eating included lots of whole grains, chia seeds, legumes, etc.  I just can't, can't, can't get ride of my cravings for sweets and junk food.   Hoping to turn that can't to couldn't as a result of this.  I'm 57 and most of my friends spend way too much time talking about medications, procedures, aches & pains, etc., etc.  I don't have any substantial complaints and would like to keep it that way.  Guess I'm to the age where eating "sort of healthy" doesn't cut it.  I like what one poster said about wanting to live (an action verb) and not exist.  Count me in. 

I actually started on Sunday morning but because that was following a lake weekend complete with loads of junk food & cold beer followed by a Sunday morning headache, I'm thinking I'm in the right place. I'll just hang out here for the month if that's okay with ya'll!

My first Whole 30 was about a year and a half ago and I have been mainly on track but tend to slip when I'm stressed-which is pretty often..I have the three coolest kids in the world but they tend to cause some stress...I felt so amazing after the first time around, I'm ready to actually commit again.

Let's hope I make it past the Dairy Queen this afternoon.. (I have a serious affection for blizzards-even though I know they're nasty!)

Amanda

Okay, Wow!  I introduced myself and then read some (most!) of the posts here.  Guess that was backwards. This is an active board.  Will it stay under the "9 June Start" so I can find it tomorrow?  I don't spend tons of time on the computer, but I want to check in once or twice a day.  Some of ya'll (yes, ya'll -- I live in Florida) sound so knowledgeable.  If you could please just send that knowledge to me via however you want, it will make my life so much easier.  I am sooooo new to all of this.  My previous healthy eating included lots of whole grains, chia seeds, legumes, etc.  I just can't, can't, can't get ride of my cravings for sweets and junk food.   Hoping to turn that can't to couldn't as a result of this.  I'm 57 and most of my friends spend way too much time talking about medications, procedures, aches & pains, etc., etc.  I don't have any substantial complaints and would like to keep it that way.  Guess I'm to the age where eating "sort of healthy" doesn't cut it.  I like what one poster said about wanting to live (an action verb) and not exist.  Count me in. 

Rosann yes we will always be here under this heading. I love your attitude, and you are blessed to be in good shape healthwise. I  also encounter a lot of people who talk incessantly about medicine, ailments etc. I totally appreciate the need to share and vent when necessary, and have a lot of compassion around that, and around living with pain and disability, but I personally believe that for me ( I have an auto immune diagnosis) , being healthy, is about not identifying as a sick person, but as a healthy person with a diagnosis. So I say, YES, lets live and not exist and for those with health issues I LOVE this quote "diagnosis is information, not destination".  

Also - I am a sugar addict and comfort eater and W30 definitely helps with that! 

I, too, am beginning Whole30 today - June 9.  I'm excited/nervous -- probably about like anyone who is beginning for the first time.  The "fun" part of my participating in this eating program is that I own a bakery business specializing in French macarons.  That means no new creations for 30 days because I can't taste any of the new fillings or shells.   Should make for an interesting 30 days.  I'm determined, however.  I know it will be difficult, but I need to feel more in control of my food choices.  I wish us all good health and fun experiences!

Rosann - I can't imagine working in a bakery!  I LOVE to bake, usually more for giving away than for tasting. For this 30 days I'm going to really try and limit it as much as I can, because it does turn into such a temptation. I'm also noticing that I watch the Food Network NON-STOP. That might have to change, too! Glad to have you aboard!

I have to say that so far I've had a pretty good day - easier than expected.  For breakfast instead of my usual 2 eggs I added 2 egg whites along with mushrooms. For lunch I baked up some kale, and then wrapped turkey slices around avocado wedges. I think that would make for a portable lunch in the future. Dinner is cracklin' chicken from NomNom Paleo with brussel sprouts/bacon. (My 14 year old is actually planning to eat this, too!) 6 more hours until bed, so I'm feeling confident I can make it!

Ok Deb, here's my first entry: 

Sweet Potato Gnocchi*

This recipe isn't perfect, I think it might help to add an egg, but I figured people would ask for the recipe so here's what I did...

Mash 2 baked sweet potatoes with 1/4 c. almond flour, 1/8 c. tapioca starch, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast and salt (1/2 tsp?) and spoon small mounds (1-2 tsp. or so) into a non stick skillet with a few tablespoons of ghee and cooked till browned. Toss a few sage leaves in and cook till crisped, and serve! This makes 3 side dish servings.

*I had a lot of input from one of the moderators over whether or not this is compliant- and it is as long as it's eaten as a veggie side dish along with the appropriate amount of protein, fat, and possibly with another veggie on the side. It shouldn't replace your meal. 

Personally I was just trying to find another way to cook sweet potatoes, not replace a bowl of pasta.

I spent about 3 hours this morning in Trader Joe's reading labels and getting the rest of the food I need. They really do try to sneak sugar in all over the place! I have a couple questions though: Are sulphites ok? and is calcium chloride ok? 

Sandy

Hello, I have done a non-compliant W30 in the past and am all geared up to do a compliant program starting on 9 June. Please feel free to join me and several others that I have worked with in the past as we work our way toward healthier eating. I look forward to helping anyone thru this and offering information and encouragement along the way. Please come with a sense of humor, some thick skin, and a positive attitude. Tough love may come into play to help with "course corrections" but this is only to ensure that you are successful during this program. This is about following the W30 rules and NOT deviating. This means NO SCALES for 30 days! This also requires that you are knowledgeable about the food that you will be eating whether at home or away, and that it is also compliant. As a rule of thumb, you should have a good understanding of this informatuion before jumping in. If you are not ready right now, no worries.......come back and join us when you are.

Dave

Okay 6/9ers,

I'm going to try and learn everyone's names but for now, you're just the fam.

Deb, not too creative today. Finally eating...it tastes so good (2:40 CA time) a little late, but sometimes there is nothing you can do.  I had baked my sweet potato yesterday, so I peeled it, cubed it, drizzled it with a little lemon olive oil, Himalayan salt and lemon pepper. Delightful. Served with a tuna/arugula and radish salad. (forgot to buy avocados and need to make mayo...tomorrow is another day.

LG, Rosann & Amanda welcome - I sure hope I'm not leaving anyone out. I try to read each and every post.

Remember, Blizzards put on winter fat...and it's summer!

Don't we have any Kettle One Drinkers on here?

I'm missing my almond butter...and I'm not doing fruit, at least not until my sugar is under control. Having a smidge of a  pityparty her in SoCal...but will be feeling amazing in 10 days...probably more like 6!

m

Ok Deb, here's my first entry: 

Sweet Potato Gnocchi*

This recipe isn't perfect, I think it might help to add an egg, but I figured people would ask for the recipe so here's what I did...

Mash 2 baked sweet potatoes with 1/4 c. almond flour, 1/8 c. tapioca starch, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast and salt (1/2 tsp?) and spoon small mounds (1-2 tsp. or so) into a non stick skillet with a few tablespoons of ghee and cooked till browned. Toss a few sage leaves in and cook till crisped, and serve! This makes 3 side dish servings.

*I had a lot of input from one of the moderators over whether or not this is compliant- and it is as long as it's eaten as a veggie side dish along with the appropriate amount of protein, fat, and possibly with another veggie on the side. It shouldn't replace your meal. 

Personally I was just trying to find another way to cook sweet potatoes, not replace a bowl of pasta.

THAT. LOOKS. AMAZE.

So far so good here, but is it almost naptime?

Breakfast: duck eggs with roasted tomatoes, steamed spinach, 1/2 avocado and black coffee.

Lunch: chicken breast, green salad with balsamic dressing, roasted sweet potatoes with cinnamon and roasted garlic cauliflower purée. Yes, did a ton of cooking yesterday!

And then: just caught myself grazing on some cherries and realized I was snacking and not even hungry. Oops!

Archived