9 June Start

dcducks1

@Sandy there is also a forum on here called " can I have" and you can search for ingredients on there

I'm thinking its probably no on both of those. 

Here's the link. 

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/6-can-i-have/

I just looked and sulphites are a definite "no" 

Calcium chloride was approved by @Physibeth (moderator) when someone else listed it as an ingredient in storebought pasta sauce. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have learned from my previous whole 30 and my failed attempts of whole 30 how much food I need to keep me going to the next meal. I was not hungry in between meals, but I am still not 100%.

For lunch- nothing better than a bowl of hot chicken soup to go with 104 degrees! I did add sweet potato, had it for breakfast and lunch.

Getting ready to make mayo tonight so I can have maybe a tuna salad tomorrow. So far day one is not bad,I am not wanting to push a kid off the slide ...yet to take their ice cream. Now off to figure out dinner.

I convinced a co-worker to start today as well, makes it nice that we can support each other while at work.

Oh Gabenick,

I wish I had a coworker to do it with, but I have all you fine folks, so that's pretty close. I am hungry, but I need to stop thinking about it. My eyes are burning like I'm too tire, but I slept. Probably just coffee withdrawal, should have started sugar a couple of days early, but it is what it is and I'm here...so there you go.

dinner is only about 2 hours away...sigh.

Hi Guys,

I would love to be part of this 6/9 group. Just past midnight here on the west coast of Ireland and I have completed day 1 of the W30 with no problems. I am under no illusions that problems will come, but I am pumped for this and determined to go the distance. I probably won't get to post much but to know you guys are there is a great help, especially if I have any questions or need support. I will try to help out too if I can.

I am a first timer to W30 but have been paleo on/off for the last 6 months, initially with great success (lost a stone in first month) but have been slipping, so going to give this my best shot and kick start my body into the future of healty eating.

Also feeling a little scared at the task ahead, it ain't gonna be easy, but hey; the fun is in the challenge!

Welcome Eoghan! And I will translate for the Americans, a stone is 14 lbs - that is awesome. 

So well done everyone who worked with or thought about #funthingstodowithsweetpotatoes today!!  Keep the reports rolling in.

So tomorrow's ingredient of the day is – the humble CHICKEN BREAST!

Can be skinless boneless, or skin on, bone in, shredded, boiled, baked, roasted, salad-ed, any way you want that sucker, we're just thinking about chicken breast tomorrow.

Here are some links for inspiration:

http://everydaypaleo.com/dads-grilled-lemon-chicken/

make sure your mustard is compliant (no alcohol, gluten, sugar etc)

I still haven't tried this and so want to – just sub coconut milk for the buttermilk

http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1015232/green-goddess-roasted-chicken.html

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/04/14/mediterranean-chopped-chicken-salad/

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/05/10/vietnamese-chicken-salad/

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/09/16/walnut-pesto-stuffed-chicken/

http://thefoodbitchblog.com/2013/06/12/whole30-balsamic-chicken/

For those of you just joining us, a few of us decided it would be fun to declare an ingredient of the day each day of the W30 just for some creative inspiration. There's no pressure at all to participate, just something fun to think about to mix things up a bit!  We all know that some days all we can do is get through with compliance and don't want to think about anything extra so again, no pressure, only if it feels fun. And of course report your thoughts/findings/recipes and eatings back to the group so we can inspire each other with new and yummy ways to use compliant ingredients.

Here are the ingredients of the day (IODs) for this first week:

Mon - Sweet Potato

Tue - Chicken Breast

Wed - Red Cabbage

Thu - Beets

Fri - Kale

Sat - Ground turkey

Sun - Olives

PS I'm so hungry. WHYYYYYYYYYYY

By some of the posts...I'm wondering if this might be an Alcoholics Anonymous forum..hahahaha. Was there a full moon this weekend or something? It looked like half of my office was laying around licking their wounds from the weekend. Glad I'm not the only one who started the week (and Whole30) in a bit of a daze. Come to think of it.....its the way I started my first day of Navy boot camp.......a long time ago. Glad to see all the new people.......they just keeping coming over to the most popular group......must be Miki and Deb. I had a great salad and a nice steak and I have done all my chores for the night, cleaned the cruiser, washed the boat, burned limbs, tore apart the rotten picnic table.....now its bath and bed and off to day TWO! Have a great night everyone.

Dave

Deb, I'm crazy hungry too!! I definitely got used to snacking before bed on my 3 days off!

Dinner was too light, protein wise, and I totally freaked out when my husband started eating what I had set aside to be my leftovers lunch for tomorrow. I have since made him popcorn (dinner was too light for all of us) and I'm gnawing on a carrot and drinking tea. I know if I'm really hungry I need to make more food but 3 meals a day is enough for me, I'm tired! In a few days I should have a good stockpile of leftovers in the fridge.

Hope everyone's first day was great! My first day 2 I felt super lethargic so be prepared in case that happens to you and know it goes away quickly!

I started today as well. My hubby is again doing this with me... It was actually his idea this time. Did well the last 4 months, but this weekend I just didn't care. We were out of town for my niece's graduation party, and even the chicken salad had wheat in it... ugh. I wasn't getting protein any other way. While we knew we would choose to have some cake, etc. I didn't even think about "normal" food getting me.

Today has not been great. I got up far too late, and am still exhausted from the weekend. I need to drink more water, get more healthy fat to stay satiated, and get onto some sort of schedule. I play hockey 2x a week (goalie on Tuesdays and skate up on Thursdays) and the time frame unusually means eating nerd the rink. Gotta figure that out. I think we may eat picnic style the next couple of weeks. Anyone have a few good picnic ideas/recipes? Has to be cold/room temp foods.

Here's what I'm going to try for chicken breast day.  It looks easy to make it compliant, I'll just use coconut oil instead:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/thai-flavored-green-curry-with-sweet-potato-green-beans-and-chicken#recipe-ingredients

I got a good green curry (Thai Kitchen brand) that is happy for Whole30.

Deb, got any early suggestions for cabbage and beets so we can prepare in advance?

So this is my 3rd time trying to post. Getting frustrated with my computer. I have started the W30 with my hubby. This is our second. We just spent the weekend eating cake and gluten at a graduation party for my niece. We limited our sugar, but hubby had a surprise birthday party thrown for him. Had already planned to start W30 today, so we honestly didn't worry his past weekend. Can't wait for my depression to lift again, and to recover from this weekend.

Anyone have ideas for picnic type foods? We play hockey 2x a week and have to leave for the games at odd times. Need a way to eat W30 at the rink (or local park) before the game. Looking for ways to save money as well. Don't want to do a salad with chicken/tuna/etc for dinner 2x week. I get full fast on salads, but they don't last (10 yrs post gastric bypass so they aren't the best option for me as a main). Also, I need more protein prior to a game. TIA for any ideas.

Thought I would share a breakfast I did in Jan. On Sunday I would roast beats, sweet potatoes, rutabega, and whatever other root veggies looked good in the produce section. I would make a lg dice, toss with melted oil/ghee, and season with salt and whatever else caught my eye. I would mix it all together in a container and store in fridge. In the AM I would make a few eggs, reheat some hash, and add some avocado. this really kept me full and I felt good.

You can also do a hash with onions, spiralled sweet potato, greens, tomatoes, mushrooms, and other soft veggies. Reheat and add an egg or two (I like runny poached), and add nuts or avocado for the fats. I sometimes add fruit on the side with either of these, but not all the time.

First day successful!  I'm thrilled to learn that I can have mayonnaise.  (I should have known that because I've made it before.  DUH)  Anywho...... looking at the various recipes.  Any thoughts on types of oil to use?  Macadamia Nut oil..... or light olive oil...... or avocado oil.... or whatever other choices are approved.  I plan on a big plate of chicken salad tomorrow with some nuts, celery, onion, and whatever else I can think of on a bed of bibb or red lettuce.  (Sorry, it's late and I'm hungry!)  Good night fellow 6/9ers.  Thanks for listening. 

@Sandy there is also a forum on here called " can I have" and you can search for ingredients on there

I'm thinking its probably no on both of those. 

Here's the link. 

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/6-can-i-have/

I just looked and sulphites are a definite "no" 

Calcium chloride was approved by @Physibeth (moderator) when someone else listed it as an ingredient in storebought pasta sauce. 

Thanks for taking the time to look that up. I did see that 'can I have' forum but I couldn't see those ingredients. I didn't get those items anyway. I'm glad I didn't. That will be my rule, if I don't know it stays on the shelf! This group is rockin'...Sandy

Well, here in socal I just finished up dinner. I was starving (actually a good portion of the day too) so I might have ever eaten a bit at dinner. I hate that feeling. I will clean up and go to bed early as I think I needed.

I love that the first day is successful and that I know what foods are ok. I can't seem to motivate myself to make the mayo. Someone said you could just dump it all in in the blender...I'll have to look that up again.

Chicken breast will be a stir fry for me with broccoli, cabbage, onions, garlic & carrots. I will probably serve with raw cilantro, parsley and avocado. Hopefully that will take care of me for tomorrows challenge.

Dave, I just get tired thinking of what you might do in a day. I keep remembering what you told the last group, keep yourselves busy in the evenings until you're so tired you have to go to bed. I'm thinking your wife must be running out of things for you to do, so...just let me know. Deb and I are close so we could keep you busy for a weekend I'm sure...although I did clean my attic and garage during my last whole 30 attempt.

This weekend I hope to plant flowers.

Eoghan...welcome and we look forward to your input and participation.

BluegrassMama, always glad to see you round the barn. I should have eaten a lighter dinner. YOU MUST BE  A SAINT...making popcorn for your husband...that would send me over my everloving edge (although I might be there today only).

Higs, I love the Thai Curry.  I've made it with shrimp and ground chicken and both were amazing. Used the red and the green. I like it with the red bell peppers, carrots, shrimp...and basil I guess. I love lots of fresh basil in everything...I think it's my Captain Morgan!

Picnic type food for me are lettuce wraps (bring prewashed and dried lettuce leaves and fill with meat and veggies or I love them with egg salad and avocado, whatever you want. ) a little fruit if you're doing that and you should have some energy...just make sure and get enough protein.

Jenn, breakfast sounds yummy, I will try that.

Today my goal was to stay compliant and survive, and I did it!

Tomorrow I may try to work on portion sizes as I am a bit too full tonight.

I can't wait for the feel good part, it's coming.

Okay, off to a cup of tea and early too bed, extra sleep helps me heal.

MamaMiki    1/30th of the way done, wahoo!

Day 1 in the can!!! I did not do this with any sort of grace at all. I spent most of the day in a coma from the sugar I had yesterday. I had to read labels all morning, I yelled my head off at some unsuspecting person in traffic (Thank goodness they could not hear me) And I was depressed from remembering the numbers when I took my measurements at the last possible moment this morning. 

But I'm here and we are here and we are gonna kick this thing in the head! This group is amazing with its mixture of goofballs and intellects. I'm so glad to be a part...I love us! HUGS to all! 

I hope you all get wonderful sleep and keep checking in here. I am reading every single one!

Sandy

Oh Gabenick,

I wish I had a coworker to do it with, but I have all you fine folks, so that's pretty close. I am hungry, but I need to stop thinking about it. My eyes are burning like I'm too tire, but I slept. Probably just coffee withdrawal, should have started sugar a couple of days early, but it is what it is and I'm here...so there you go.

dinner is only about 2 hours away...sigh.

we are actually seeing patients together, we are both hospice nurses and are together for 3 weeks riding along so it makes it quite easy. I started eating compliant one week prior before I got sick yesterday. Since sipping on that gross broth, my eczema has flared bad today.

Sounds like we are all off to a great start, with such great support we should be able to do this....easy!! At least that's what I am telling myself.

I am not very hungry and forcing myself to eat dinner, I had ground chicken lettuce wraps with an avocado salad and iced tea. I dont get the urge to snack, I just have to start hydrating myself more.

Off to day 2!!

Day 2 is upon us.  Feel good that I survived day 1.  Did I do it perfectly?  No, but all foods were compliant.  I know how the program needs to be followed; I just need to learn how to do it better.  As posted before, I come from an eating disordered background so I will not be too hard on myself - extra meals, even extra fruit will be okay at times.  As time progresses, my goal is to improve the strictness of my Whole 30.   I did not weigh, take measurements or take photos.  I am actually afraid of the scale.  It is rare that I step on that scary box so I definitely will not have scale issues during this process.  For me, this is all about feeling good and improving my relationship with food so I am not concerned about the actual numbers.  The numbers are detrimental to my mental health. 

I have the books It Starts With Food and The Paleo Coach.  I read the first book awhile ago and parts of the second book.  I also saved the daily emails from the first time I did the Whole 30.  I'm planning on reviewing all of these resources.

This is really an amazing group - supportive, fun and interesting.  I think it will be easier to get through the 30 doing it with such great people. 

Hi Jenn, I packed a picnic recently with carrots, apricots, avocado, olives, and prosciutto. I think roasted or (compliant) rotisserie chicken would be good cold/room temp as well. Or maybe a frittata?

Higs- green curry sounds awesome! I need to find curry paste. Have you tried the cauliflower rice or are you planning to? It was ok when I made it but I'm giving cauliflower a break cause we ate so much of it during round one.

I don't have chicken breast, guys! So I'm making lemon artichoke chicken from practical paleo with drumsticks.

Miki- it's still not definite but I might not be hanging around a barn anymore, we put an offer on a house in town! It's a beautiful old house with tons of space (our house now is basically one bedroom). At least I can bring my chickens (you're allowed 6 laying hens in the city) but my pig owning dreams will have to wait.

Accidentally bought prosciutto with sugar, argggg, trader joes! So I'm off to come up with something else for breakfast. Have a great day everyone!

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I just found this little nugget today - a timeline to tell us what to expect in general in terms of mood over the next 30 days.  Personally, I find this very helpful. If I can reference and say, "Oh, that's what's SUPPOSED to happen" I'm much less likely to fall off the wagon.

I laughed when I read it because yesterday was not too difficult. Today I'm a little head-achey and slow moving.

Wishing everyone a compliant day 2!

Ok....so I like a challenge! I got up early this morning..(4am)... and made coffee cake for my office. It smelled so good...I made a second one for the wife and kids to have when they get up. I ate the first one in one sitting........IN MY MIND........just kidding, I wrapped it up and placed it in the Jeep so I wouldn't forget it. I put it on the counter at work and quickly walked away. The bigger they get....the thinner I look! hahahahaha (that was my evil laugh). Today is "did I mention you have meetings all day?" day! My boss is sailing from Rhode Island to Bermuda in a race this month sooooooo....the team has me for leadership.......oh boy! I have a delicious steak (from last night) fresh grapes, my trusty cashews, my SoBe water all ready for a lunch date. Tonight I will cut up more brush and burn it (clearing out the lot behind the house) work on the riding mower (after using the push mower to mow the yard), weed whack, and make more mayo (didn't get around to that last night since I'm lazy). Cooking a bunch of fish tonight....cleaning out the freezer a bit. Need to ask the wife what she needs done in the house since my outdoor chores are running thin.....got to keep moving! If the weather is nice this week after work, I could always take the boat out. I have a car show that I am taking the hot rod to on saturday so I still need to do some cleaning on it. I am taking the day off tomorrow to see my youngest graduate from the 8th grade. Then I will need to think of what devilish dish I can bake for the office on Thursday...hahahahaha!

Dave      

Good morning all.  Who's up for day 2?  Let's do this thing.

Laurie and Sandy -- I'm with you. Some days might not be pretty, but they will be whole30 compliant.  I pat myself on the back for every right choice and for refusing to give into temptation.  I'm off to make some mayo for my chicken salad lunch.  Had some breakfast meatloaf and poached eggs for breakfast with about 10 frozen grapes.  Not sure about dinner.   I bought some grassfed ground beef yesterday and sugar free bacon this morning.   I did find uncured, humanely raised bacon this morning at Publix, but it was $17.00 per pound.  Even just as a garnish, with all the other changes, that will have to wait a week or two.  For now, sugar free bacon that is compliant (but not "perfect") will have to do.  This program is a HUGE change, so when it's necessary, baby steps will have to do.  Hope everyone had a healthful day.

Me again. Just made mayo in a pint canning jar using an immersion blender.  Oh, my goodness.  How easy was that? So much easier than a food processor - for me, anyway.   Just used a room temperature egg yolk, 2 t. water, squeeze of organic Dijon mustard, juice from 1/2 lemon and about 3/4 of a cup or so (never measure) of light olive oil.   Turned the immersion blender on low and it was done in less than 10 seconds.  Seasoned with salt and smoked paprika, screwed on the top and..... BAM.  Done.  I'm going to roast some garlic today to add to my next batch.  Can't wait to play with other compliant oils in the future with this.  Yippee.

Sandy and Rosann - bumpy start...but its still a start! Hang in there...it going to get a little rougher...but will smooth out soon.

Laurie - getting a good peak at the numbers might be scary but its a great baseline to show the direction you are heading......away from! Most people going thru the first time went thru many phases thinking that they felt bloated, uncomfortable, that maybe they had gained weight, that their clothes still felt snug or tight. I am happy to report that it looked like the average person in our last group lost around 10 pounds...some more, some less.....but the resulys didn't just end there. They felt good, clothes fit better, they were happier, less joint pain, allergy symptoms, stuffy nose, better skin/hair/nails.........the scale only has to be scary once during this program.....the fun part is PROVING your success at the end.

Dave

Guest Andria

Day 1 went well for me, as it should, since I have so many day 1's under my belt!! Ended up in a little tangle with raisins before bed because of some anxiety over "stupid stuff", but today is a new day!

The immersion blender method  is the ONLY way I make my mayo! It is so easy, I don't know why anyone would want to use the other methods. Haven't had a failed batch yet...knock on wood

Archived