9 June Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2, and we're off to the races!  I woke up feeling GOOD this morning.  We'll see how long that lasts, though!  I was on my morning walk at about 6:00 a.m. and really noticing smells.  The honeysuckles are in bloom and intoxicating!

Bluegrass mama, I like your picnic suggestions.  I'm going on a hike on Mt St Helens on Saturday (weather permitting) and haven't yet figured out what to bring for food.  Probably lots of nuts and some fruit, maybe some jerky.

Dave, I have a couple acres overgrown with blackberries and scrub trees that need to be cleared if you run out of things to do.

Good luck today everyone!  Hang in there!

Good Morning 6/9ers,

DAVE, SERIOUSLY - I was feeling very righteous about not making fudge for my dad and brother on Father's Day and now it looks like I have to do it...I hope you're proud of yourself? I remember hearing about your first near compliant whole 30 and that you lost 17 pounds without going to the gym. NOW HOWEVER, after getting to know you I realize you do more in regular life than most do at the gym. Your wife must adore you. Most wives have to beg their husbands to get off the couch!

SANDY, I'm not actually sure (a moderator may need to correct me) but there may be gnomes that roam through houses in the middle of the night and add the word sugar to perfectly compliant labels just to torment Whole 30 participants. At first when I read goofballs I thought you meant me, but after reading Dave's CoffeeCake x2 post and I have this vision of him running out to his jeep at 5 am in his PJ's throwing a hot coffee cake in his tackle box, I'm pretty sure you meant him.

CCLaymon, Great input, thank you.

Rosann, I have a cheap immersion blender, but I'm going to try it. Why don't you use the whole egg?

Bluegrass Mama, that makes me sad for Charlotte and Porky, but happy for you. Glad the chickens get to come.

Okay, running late, will catch up later...STAY STRONG

LAURIE, next week will be better as we all start having benefits to talk about. Keep up the good work.

Day 3 has begun! Reading these posts each morning DEFINITELY helps me stay focused. It's funny how 30 days doesn't seem like a lot…until you start. Now, every hour seems like an eternity, especially after dinner, when I'm most prone to binge and when I have to recognize that I'm done eating for the day.

I like that even over the last two days, I've been able to notice when I'm physically hungry and when I'm just feeling stressed about an assignment at work and want to avoid it. I finished a filling dinner last night and then started working on a memo for work, and, unsurprisingly, my mind went IMMEDIATELY to chocolate. I actually stopped working on the memo (which my boss won't be happy about) because I decided it was too much of a challenge to resist food temptation AND face the stress of work / my perfectionism AND do this at 9pm when I'm most likely to binge. So even though I'm a little guilty about not completing work, I'm proud of myself for turning on HBO, enjoying the rest of the night, and staying compliant!

I love these posts - thank God for this group!

Andria - just a few misteps , but those are in the past. Focus on getting thru the entire process...we will get you there. Go make more mayo...it will make you feel better.

Dave

I like your kick rears and take names later approach.   That's what works for me...no looking back, no looking back.

Also very glad for this group!!!

@Deb- I'm in Asia... But Barney must be further east than me if it's already day three for him!! Or started early?

Today was alright. I took a break from a grueling work session and went to the cafeteria- first thought as I stood at the elevator: COOKIES. I deserve a damn cookie.

Stayed strong though. Then the co-worker who usually brings me a piece of cake after lunch came by. I turned down the cake and told him I was on day 2 of 30 of no sugar. And I did get a sidewise glance for eating a sweet potato with breakfast this morning :)

After completing my long day, I walked past the free cookies/cakes display at work and made it home for a handful of nuts. Now I think I'll head to dinner.

Good work everybody!

:)

Hi Whole30 friends!

Day one was a success and I had so much fun clicking the link of the daily emails stating that "I did it!". My biggest rough patches were between 4 and 5:30 when I have my usual snack and after 8 pm when the kitchen closed. I ended up going to the bedroom around 9 in protest. I also picked up around the house and stretched to take my mind off of snacking.

Woke up this morning (Day 2) feeling good, but a little snappy. However, even the smallest success has made me happy. Review of Day 1:

Meal 1: (8:00 am) Egg Whites, Sweet potato (1/2), mixed Broccoli, Cauliflower and carrots, and a half a handful of cashews and almonds (raw)

Meal 2: (12:30 pm) Baked Chicken breast, Broccoli, baby carrots and 1/2 cup of blueberries

Meal 3: (5:45 pm) before my run- 5 cashews and 5 almonds (just needed a boost)

Meal 4: (7 pm) Baked Chicken (no skin- stepson was so excited about having the skin from my chicken), Broccoli and half sweet potato

Over the course of the day I had over 10 glasses of water and one cup of tea with lemon.

Realizing I was really low on calories- Had an apple, two slices of compliant turkey and a handful of cashews, pistachios and almonds after dinner.

As a runner, I want to ensure I am eating enough to adequately keep up, so I track all of my meals on My Fitness Pal. I had 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat over the day, which is surprisingly right on target. If you're on My Fitness Pal, my username is Legallyanais.

Of course, you can call me Goofy!

Have a fabulous day!

Miki/Mini - I don't think it will give you the right taste/color or consistency if you add the yolk. The jury is still out on whether the wife adores me or not.......she likes everything that I do and she never asks me to fix anything..(because its already done) but I think she would be much happier if I had ANY patience! I also hate to be late for anything and she is excellent at being late for EVERYTHING! I do have an "energizer bunny" engine inside there somewhere that refuses to let me rest or nap (wife is always asking me to take a break or go rest.....I'm sure its a trap). By the way, I am pretty sure she has been feeding me rat poison for many years....are most rat poisons sugar free or do I need to ask her what brand she's feeding me? Go make fudge...............

Dave

I got up at 10 AM this morning. Just can't find any energy. I have a headache and I am only on day 2 with no coffee. So I think I will try some weaker coffee with almondmilk (that took me forever to find cuz it is not where all the milks are, It is canned and with the condiments at Trader Joe's) I feel like I could sleep for a week. Still compliant though and I know that most things that are worth having are not easy. I didn't see all the fuss about mayo and thought I would do without that. But everything is so dry! Must find immersion blender!  

Dave - Really?!@#%@ Sandy jumps over other posts to slap Dave with some frozen fish out of his freezer! My jaw dropped when reading that you consumed that cake! Good one! Oh and let me thank you for letting me know it gets worse. lol Crazy man! Come to my house and get these jobs done that i don't have the energy to do! 

Geminimik  - At first I did mean you. Now I see that they can interchangeable for a few other people. lol

Rosann  - I love your attitude and look forward to your posts! Thanks for the  mayo recipe.

Higs - Glad someone is feeling good. I love the smell of blooming flowers.

Barney - So glad you are a part of us. I have the same issues. Eat late at night, sugar dragon breathes down my neck all the time. Glad you worked it out so you did not fall off. I don't care how we have to do it or who gets p@ssed. Oh well, it's our health! Good job!

Please keep posting all. Even the hard ones are helping me maybe even more so I don't feel so alone. 

We are the champions! The Unstoppable 6/9ers!!!

Haven't gotten though everything, so I apologize if this has already been answered. When making mayo, use the lightest olive oil you can find. I always make mine in a pint, wide mouth canning jar--immersion blender method. Hardest part for me is getting the right amount of lemon. I tend to get too much.

Everyone here is amazing. That is all. 

I got up to go to yoga at 7 and was so cranky, just wanted to lie on my mat and was amazed that other people were actually doing the poses. I'm doing a 40 day yoga challenge. Day 29 and I am so ready to be done LOL. 

Day 2 of Whole 30!!! Also ready to be done. JK JK. 

About to have a chicken breast and grape salad for breakfast and cook up some fish to take to work for lunch. 

And I have to leave the house in half an hour. WHAT? Its easy! ;-) 

Have a great day everyone!

Here's what I'm going to try for chicken breast day.  It looks easy to make it compliant, I'll just use coconut oil instead:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/thai-flavored-green-curry-with-sweet-potato-green-beans-and-chicken#recipe-ingredients

I got a good green curry (Thai Kitchen brand) that is happy for Whole30.

Deb, got any early suggestions for cabbage and beets so we can prepare in advance?

Oooh I love this!!!!! 

Cabbage  -  for myself I was thinking coleslaw, I like this recipe:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/14/over-the-rainbow-cabbage-salad-with-tahini-lemon-dressing/

And that tahini dressing rocks, I lived on it last W30, this time I am trying to do no seeds so sadly no tahini for me but I encourage you to try it, its delish. 

Ohhh yeahhhh and Nom Nom Paleo ( who is a GREAT resource) has ten great cabbage recipes here:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/40190064743/whole30-day-10-cabbage-10-ways

Beets: Now for me beets are a little more challenging. I cheated and bought the pre cooked vaccuum packed ones from Wholefoods (I think Trader Joe's has them too) - I checked carefully and it said ingredients: Beets. Allright. 

So, I'm thinking some kind of salady thing. 

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Beet-Salad-with-Oranges-and-Beet-Greens-109070 (sub in compliant vinegar)

http://markbittman.com/recipe/raw-beet-salad/ (make sure your mustard is compliant)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/heirloom-tomato-beet-salad-50400000128126/  YUMMMMM

Roasting them makes them super yum:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/OvenRoastedBeets.htm

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/05/27/belly-dance-beet-salad/  (sub in a compliant vinegar, pretty sure red wine isn't)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4459404121/marinated-roasted-beets

Happy prepping!!!

Geminimik -- All the mayonnaise recipes I have call for only the yolk.  Besides, I throw away dozens of egg yolks each week because French macarons use only the whites, so I love recipes that call for egg yolks.

Was feeling cranky, nasty a bit ago while running errands.  Decided I wasn't fit to be around anyone so was going to go home for a bit of a nap as soon as they finished patching my tire.  While my tire was being patched, I walked around outside of the building and after about 10 minutes started feeling better. Not great, but I could smile and be pleasant.  I've just gotta push through those yucky parts.  They usually don't last all that long.  And good health lasts a lifetime -- a long, healthy, adventure filled lifetime.

Deb C --  WOW you do your research.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm a big baby when it comes to food --- I tried my first beet about 2 months ago.  The beet challenge will be interesting for me.  Grilled a chicken breast this morning for chicken salad for lunch.  I think I'll do some stuffed cabbage for that day since I picked up some grassfed beef yesterday.

Honestly, I don't love vegetables so this month will definitely be an adventure for me. 

Meadowlily - no disrespect taken! I will add you to the list!

Glad to see so many people finding challenges (cake, cookies, fudge, coffee cake, crystal meth, prostitutes..etc) and still staying strong. Thats what this is all about.......facing your problems and overcoming them! Before we started, there were some among us who were scared to go without sugar or some other sort of comfort food....but we are getting through day two and we are still succeeding! You did it for one day....you didnt die....nor did you die during the second day (so far). Take these little successes and let them "snowball" all the way thru. Do NOT give up on yourself and the progress you are making.....there are way too many people who have gone thru this and found the many positives that this brings to their life and health.....BE ONE OF THEM!

Dave

I also started Whole30 on June 9.  Day 1 was great, Day 2 will also be great.  Going to the meat market today to get bacon and sausage.  I haven't eaten pork in 17 years so this is a BIG BIG BIG deal for me to eat pork. Any suggestions for breakfast would be appreciated.  I know I can't eat eggs every morning even though I love them.  Eating chicken or fish doesn't sound too good at breakfast like I see in some breakfast ideas.

Sandy - bad attitude...you are banned from coffee for a month! Just kidding - Im not a coffee drinker (and I was a sailor...go figure) but most people say they gradually get used to the taste without sugar and cream. Hang in there.....think about the positives.

Dave

No man left behind!?  I started today June 10th so I hope I can join you all!  I just did a whole30 type program through my gym and about 20 of us did a 30 day challenge incorporating whole 30 and fitness.  Loved loved loved it!  It ended Sat and I strayed the past couple of days and felt awful!  And I wasn't even terrible just a bit of bread here and there. 

So I want in and hope I can stay motivated and help motivate y'all!

Lisa

As a runner, I want to ensure I am eating enough to adequately keep up, so I track all of my meals on My Fitness Pal. I had 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat over the day, which is surprisingly right on target. If you're on My Fitness Pal, my username is Legallyanais.

We highly discourage using tracking applications like My Fitness Pal around here. Your Whole30 journey will be better served by making meals that fit the meal planning template and starting to learn to listen to your bodies own signals. Just looking through the food you posted I would advice laying off of the nuts a bit and looking for other fats to add to your meals. Nuts can cause digestion problems when we overdo them. Instead of adding nuts to your meal 1 for example just eat whole eggs (as many whole ones as you can hold in your hand without dropping them). Eat the skin from your chicken if it is properly raised. Add homemade mayo to your chicken breast or coconut oil to your sweet potato. So many yummy fat options out there.

I was training for half marathons when I did my first Whole30 if you want to look at my log for ideas. The first two weeks can be rough but I found a huge boost in performance on the other side of that.

I also started Whole30 on June 9.  Day 1 was great, Day 2 will also be great.  Going to the meat market today to get bacon and sausage.  I haven't eaten pork in 17 years so this is a BIG BIG BIG deal for me to eat pork. Any suggestions for breakfast would be appreciated.  I know I can't eat eggs every morning even though I love them.  Eating chicken or fish doesn't sound too good at breakfast like I see in some breakfast ideas.

Hi Singing Mom,

A lot of peeps find they like to make their own breakfast sausage for brekkie and have it with maybe some sweet potato hash. 

Here's a couple of examples:

http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/breakfast-sausages/

http://holisticallyengineered.com/2012/08/whole30-day-0-and-homemade-sausage.html

Archived