9 June Start

dcducks1

Sandy--- bulletproof your coffee. Add ghee and coconut oil then blend until light in color. I use @ 1 T each per 20oz of coffee. You will need to play a bot to get he right balance for you. I find this keeps me full throughout the morning. I drink it 30-60 minutes after eating breakfast--usually on the way to school (I am back in school changing my life--mid-life).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the things I struggled with in my first W30, was the idea of breakfast/lunch/dinner versus meal 1, 2, 3. For breakfast today I had (not quite) compliant sausage (didn't realize it had dairy when I cooked it and was not letting it go to waste) and Swiss chard with onions, shallots, and garlic.

The rest will be compliant. I simply can't afford to waste food because I miss something in a label. Am I kicking myself--NO!

Now, time to work on hydrating before hockey tonight. That goalie gear can get hot. :P

Jenn - fully understand but please make sure as you go forward to check and double check the labels to make sure you are staying compliant. we want you to get the very most out of this program. Good luck in front of the net.

dave

I get that. Given I just got back from a road trip, I am not going to sweat it. It is the only thing I have "done wrong." 

I came for support, and to support others, not to be chastised for owning up to finding dairyi and going forward and owning up to it.

Now, on to hydrate with cold soaked tea which lacks any sweetener.

What a fun group of posts to read as I eat my Chicken, brocolli stirfry over sweet potatoes.

I still have to work on my food view.  When Physibeth said you can eat as many eggs as you can hold in one hand, I immediately thought "I'm so glad I was a waitress, I should be able to hold four on the bottom and stack carefully from there...sigh".

Sandy, unlike Dave...I know exactly how you feel and I empathize. I started drinking my coffee black on 5/5 when our previous group started. at first it was awful. I tried the coconut milk, but that didn't grab me. So I added some hot water and that helped. Forward to 6/9 and I'm trying to give up coffee...OH MY. I just got out of a 2 hour Team Meeting and I'm praying I wasn't snoring (especially since I was in charge of the meeting, sheesh).

Deb C, I hadn't thought about Tahini being a seed (nor had I ever thought of coffee as a nut [dave maybe, but not coffee])

Not whining, just sharing. Starving again at 11 and couldn't have eaten another bite at breakfast, so I guess I just have to adjust. Dying for coffee in the meeting, but made a cup of green tea as soon as I got out and ate, so feeling a bit better now.

I do feel exhausted, a little bloated, and spacey.

I know it all passes, Have late night meetings today and tomorrow, so that gets to me a bit.

Everyone is doing such an amazing job, I'm so impressed. If you find you've purchased something non-compliant, freeze it. 

I must add exercise back in. Deb you inspired me for Yoga.

Once I saw "Singingmom" and Dave mentioned a puppet show, I started singing "The Lonely Goathherd, from the Sound of Music...my office is SO PLEASED, LOL. (the VP is yelling something about stop the singing torture)

Best wishes to the BEST

No worries Jen....hope you did not feel like I was chastising you. We had an incident in the past where someone was very "loose" about the rules (and proudly spoke of ignoring them) and the moderators came on with gusto. This was just my way of encouraging you to double check those "damn" labels that catch all of us at one time or another. I offer you all the support you can handle.

Dave  

Geminimik, I am so impressed you're giving up coffee! That's harder for me than sugar. I thought about adding it to the mix but decided to wait until next month and just concentrate on eating well for now.

And not whining here either but boy, that budget meeting I just came from made me CRANKY!! So I am trying to breathe, and appreciate the beautiful weather outside, and know that I'm going to be feeling amazing very, very soon.

Keep it up everyone! I love reading all your posts. I'm going to have to get up a half hour earlier each morning to squeeze in exercise, cooking, eating, prepping lunch and keeping up with this wonderful group before going to work. Or, become Dave-like and sleep, what, 4 hours a night? Is that how you fit it all in?

Hope you guys don't mind if I hop on your train. I stumbled on the Whole30 site last week and decided to jump in Monday. Yesterday was ok, but this afternoon all I can think about is I WANT SOMETHING TO EAT! I had a huge salad topped with ground beef, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onions sautéed together--my take on a taco salad.

Anyway, I expect the next 28 days to be an adventure.

Janie

Higs, Don't be impressed yet. I am having an issue this afternoon and I think I'm going to add in a little fruit. I was trying to avoid it, but I miss the way it makes me feel and I have to eat too much of other things to get the energy, at least right now. 

It is amazing how much sugar has been an actor in my brain today. 

Okay...I have to get some work done.

It's much more fun talking to you guys.

Hi everyone,

I started my first Whole 30 on June 9th.  I'm a little excited and nervous.  I am hoping to learn what makes my body work well and what doesn't.  With that said, I have a lot of weight to lose and a million ailments that have started because of my weight.  But this is my journey and I can't wait to see where this takes me.  It has to be better than where I have been.

JennP -

I get that. Given I just got back from a road trip, I am not going to sweat it. It is the only thing I have "done wrong." 

I came for support, and to support others, not to be chastised for owning up to finding dairyi and going forward and owning up to it.

Now, on to hydrate with cold soaked tea which lacks any sweetener.

Yikes!!! I'm hungry and irritated! 

Welcome Janie and MKBF! 

Geminimik - Geez, such tact you have. You are my goofball, intelligent hero!

I could eat my arm now. I think I am not eating enough at meals and I am a night person so I try to wait until later to ear dinner. I started with a friend of mine and she already quit! 

Hanging by my nails ~Sandy

Hope everyone is doing good so far! Last night was my first time hanging out with friends.  I was able to sip on my sparkling water with lime while they drank wine and bourbon.  I also passed up a home made lemon cake which before I would have devoured.  It truly wasn't hard to say no and watch them eat.  It's an empowering feeling to resist and have control.  Today is day 3 and so far so good.  I've had more bacon and meat than I've had in years.  I feel a sustained sense of energy, stomach is flatter, and so far the sugar dragon is still hibernating.  It might be sleeping due to the cold rainy NZ weather:) 

Keep it up everyone!! 

One of the things I struggled with in my first W30, was the idea of breakfast/lunch/dinner versus meal 1, 2, 3. For breakfast today I had (not quite) compliant sausage (didn't realize it had dairy when I cooked it and was not letting it go to waste) and Swiss chard with onions, shallots, and garlic.

Unfortunately, ingesting dairy (accidental or not) calls for a restart.  Assuming you started on June 9th, call it a Whole32 if that works better for your mindset.

Welcome Janie and MKBF! 

Geminimik - Geez, such tact you have. You are my goofball, intelligent hero!

I could eat my arm now. I think I am not eating enough at meals and I am a night person so I try to wait until later to ear dinner. I started with a friend of mine and she already quit! 

Hanging by my nails ~Sandy

Thank you Sandy!

I was trying to do the three meals a day with no snacking and I couldn't do it.  I have to eat small meals several times a day.  Keep pushing through.  We'll all be your buddy!

No man left behind!?  I started today June 10th so I hope I can join you all!  I just did a whole30 type program through my gym and about 20 of us did a 30 day challenge incorporating whole 30 and fitness.  Loved loved loved it!  It ended Sat and I strayed the past couple of days and felt awful!  And I wasn't even terrible just a bit of bread here and there. 

So I want in and hope I can stay motivated and help motivate y'all!

Lisa

Nice to have you! Welcome!

There is no reason to be hungry on a Whole30.

The meal template is your friend.  Have the recommended amounts of protein, vegetables and fat at every meal. Play with portion sizes until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: could you eat a bland meal like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal containing a protein and fat.

Just want to say a word about our emotional states on here. As we peel away the layers physically, and begin to detox from the habits of a lifetime, a lot of emotional stuff can be revealed as well. Sometimes we feel more sensitive, emotional, teary, cranky, and so forth. This IS a safe place to come and be honest about how W30 is going for you. Moderators will be tough about compliance, that is their job and sometimes its sucks to feel like the teacher slapped you on the wrist with a ruler when we're all trying so hard. So, lets have great compassion for ourselves and for others as we go through this process, which will feel different for everyone. No one is trying to shame or chastise and before we jump in our own or others' defense (and its tempting, I know, I've done it too) , lets consider that we are all here to find a better way, and sometimes we feel like getting the tough love, and sometimes we don't. But the bottom line is, we're all on the same team. I'm on all y'alls side and I know you've got my back too. 

Deb, you are so right. The first time I was given direction from a moderator or team member it hurt my feelings, but by the next day I got it. 

I appreciate that everyone has been so trusting, telling their truths. I stayed with the last group the whole time, even though I knew I didn't make compliance, but it was very encouraging and health enhancing.

Miki

I put it on the counter at work and quickly walked away. The bigger they get....the thinner I look! hahahahah

Dave

I could not stop laughing when I read this!!

I could not even imagine giving up coffee. My first whole 30 I went from 5 shots of espresso a day to one cup of coffee. I would go to bed at night just thinking about my coffee in the morning,I was bad. I think I would be in an orange suit if I stopped drinking coffee, since orange is not my color, I will continue. Good luck girls, you girls are stronger than I.

So I started eating compliant a week before since I always cave on day 3-5 and since I had the gross broth and 7 up on sunday I am officially on day 2 but I notice I am not in the fog for day 2.

I am making an attempt to follow the daily ingredient so I had chicken with eggs. I had to force myself to finish egg #2. Made mayo today and had tuna salad for lunch, not sure what I will have for dinner yet, maybe zucchini noodles.

Has anyone tried the coconut milk in their coffee? I tried it a few months ago but I dont think I added the right stuff because it was not good.

Just want to say a word about our emotional states on here. As we peel away the layers physically, and begin to detox from the habits of a lifetime, a lot of emotional stuff can be revealed as well. Sometimes we feel more sensitive, emotional, teary, cranky, and so forth. This IS a safe place to come and be honest about how W30 is going for you. Moderators will be tough about compliance, that is their job and sometimes its sucks to feel like the teacher slapped you on the wrist with a ruler when we're all trying so hard. So, lets have great compassion for ourselves and for others as we go through this process, which will feel different for everyone. No one is trying to shame or chastise and before we jump in our own or others' defense (and its tempting, I know, I've done it too) , lets consider that we are all here to find a better way, and sometimes we feel like getting the tough love, and sometimes we don't. But the bottom line is, we're all on the same team. I'm on all y'alls side and I know you've got my back too.

I agree Deb, we are all on the same team.

Deb - Got it and I agree. I really hope everyone gets everything they need here. I wouldn't want to be the cause of anyone not being a part of us or getting everything possible out of this program.

So maybe it didn't get read. My luck probably not and the truth is I can misconstrue things too. Well, the only thing I can do is apologize and I am truly sorry. 

I agree Deb, we are all on the same team.

and this is a journey, I mean I loved our 5/5 group so much after 30 days of ups and downs together that I wasn't ready to let go! Hence - 6/9. Its a marathon rather than a sprint for sure. 

My kids biggest fan - welcome to the group. We are here to help you become healthier and eat smarter. Never regret who or what you are or what you have become (large or small), at one time (two days ago) you were ok with it. Today, however, is the second day of a life changing program to make you feel better, relieve the aches and pains, and lose the weight. Unfortunately, you might have to change your screen name to "My kids smaller fan"! ;) Good luck and stick with us!

Dave

Archived