9 June Start

dcducks1

Got home tonight and began the many chores that I wanted to get done. Was briefly interrupted by my youngest son who had found ANOTHER copperhead out by my workshop. (I swear my wife is planting them for me). It is illegal to kill copperheads in Maryland (still haven't figured out why yet) and many dogs in my neighborhood have been bit and some have even died from these bites. I TRIED to put it in the woods with a shovel........that's all I'm saying!

Then I had fresh fish and green beans........and Tazo for my drink!

Deb - great comments above!

Higs -I said I went to bed....said nothing about sleep! Bedtime is when I do my homework for night class!

GFChris - every time you mention steamed fish and broccoli I lose my appetite! More weight loss......tada!

Sandy - snap out of it! You are not irritable...you are HAPPY! SAY IT!

Jess - good work on the wine, bourbon, and dessert! Keep it up!

Dave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big day for the 6/9-ers. Sending out a collective hug. (what a hippie ;-) ) We ARE ROCKING IT. 

Thanks for all the chicken breast inspiration today everyone! The green curry sounded amazing! Keep the recipes and updates rolling in!

So tomorrow's ingredient of the day is – RED CABBAGE

(or green if you don't have red, but red just seems sassier)

Here are some recipes for inspiration!! (I already posted some of these in a response earlier)

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/14/over-the-rainbow-cabbage-salad-with-tahini-lemon-dressing/

oh how I love this tahini dressing, tahini is sesame paste, totally W30 compliant and so is nutritional yeast

Nom Nom Paleo gives us TEN cabbage recipes here!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/40190064743/whole30-day-10-cabbage-10-ways

Love the domestic man

http://thedomesticman.com/2013/11/26/blaukraut-german-red-cabbage/

I LOVE ANCHOVIES so this looks good to me

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2130240592/sauteed-red-cabbage-with-onions-garlic-and-anchovy

and hey:

http://everydaypaleo.com/cooking-demo-paleo-tacos-with-purple-cabbage-slaw/

These are just lettuce cups, so I don't think we are in SWYPO danger here. The word tacos is just marketing. But moderators please weigh in. 

I wanted to make a quick note about another cabbage possibility that is so good for us! Fermented cabbage! Yes, fermented veggies are super easy to make and super good for us (full of good pro biotic bacteria).  If you don't feel like making them yourself, some health food stores carry very good and compliant fermented veggies (check ingredient labels carefully). If you're thinking “ewwwww†think again – those of you who love sauerkraut and kim chi, guess what you're eating? Yup.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193124

http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-sauerkraut/

ANYWAYS - ENJOY YOUR CABBAGE!!!

For those of you just joining us, a few of us decided it would be fun to declare an ingredient of the day each day of the W30 just for some creative inspiration. There's no pressure at all to participate, just something fun to think about to mix things up a bit!  We all know that some days all we can do is get through with compliance and don't want to think about anything extra so again, no pressure, only if it feels fun. And of course report your thoughts/findings/recipes and eatings back to the group so we can inspire each other with new and yummy ways to use compliant ingredients.

Here are the ingredients of the day (IODs) for this first week:

Mon - Sweet Potato

Tue - Chicken Breast

Wed - Red Cabbage

Thu - Beets

Fri - Kale

Sat - Ground turkey

Sun - Olives

So, my first dinner out...I wasn't going to go out, but it appears that is not a choice I can make...so I'm calling ahead to ask how they make their shrimp...and I'll have a shrimp salad with olive oil...then I will picture Dave running in from the docked boats and whisking the bread basket off of the table and throwing it in the ocean, and then when the deliver the birthday cake (yes we are STILL celebrating my birthday with a local politician - you would think I'm dying or something this year).

I'm not tempted by alcohol, so that helps. I need to get rid of the other gemini sitting on my other shoulder saying ...well, if you screw up...you only have to do a Whole 32...wrong attitude...DULY NOTED DAVE...

Happy Birthday Miki! What can I get the gal who has it all......hmmmmm! How about 28 more days of my witty charm and inspiration? (no you can't return it, my wife has tried for years). Enjoy your dinner!

Dave

So I just thoroughly explored the fancy meats at a specialty grocery store and spent a fortune on prosciutto, elk, venison, lamb and beef. I'm trying not to think too hard about the cost and I'm happy to report that I made it past the wine section unscathed. Instead I am imaging the awesome dinners in my near future!

Greetings everyone!  I've just finished reading through everyone's posts and I'm thrilled to have found this group.  I started my whole 30 (my first) on 6/9 as well.  I had actually chosen 6/8 but then I found out there was a bacon festival and, well...bacon.  Yesterday was great, but today I've been off my game.  I think it's mainly due to the complete lack of diet soda.  I'm guzzling water and still thirsty.  Probably drank 1.5-2x the amount of soda I normally drink, and I drink drank a lot of soda!!  I'm thinking it's because my body is used to getting the sweet/caffeine hit every time I drink so I'm thirsty looking for the fix.  Workout was a bust, barely made it through boot camp, not sure if it's the impact of whole 30 or the heat.  

Also, need to figure out mini meals as I eat before 7 AM and don't get a chance for lunch until close to 2 on Tues and Thurs.  Lack of adequate snack may also have been part of the not-so-wonderful boot camp.

My sister is also doing the whole 30 w/ me.  This will be her 3rd time and she's the one that introduced me to it.  

I'm trying to focus on all of the things I can have that were off limits on the low fat diet.  I can have full fat salad dressing (homemade w/ healthy fat, but that's what I would make anyway), egg salad, cuke and tomato salad, etc.  Also on trying new things.  Had garlic ginger mashed sweet potatoes tonight and they were good.  Liking sweet potatoes is a first for me.  Always had them w/ sugar and never quite got the appeal.  

Sorry so long winded, but looking forward to pushing the button tonight saying I did another day and rocking tomorrow.  

This forum is crazy active! This day 2 wasn't nearly as bad as my first whole30, hurray!

Still having trouble filling up enough at meals so I don't need to snack at all but I know that takes a few days to even out.

Welcome to everyone who just joined!

For tomorrow's ingredient, I love the sautéed red cabbage and apples from practical paleo! Pretty great at breakfast.

Day 2 is done for me!  Success.  I've got homemade ketchup cooling on the stove ready to be refrigerated and some mushrooms and onions cooking to use in tomorrow's stuffed cabbage.  I feel the pain of those that are constantly hungry.  I actually started unofficially on Sunday, so I've been compliant for 3 days and I was always hungry about a half hour after a satisfying meal.  Today I had chicken salad on a bed of lettuce for lunch and dinner - I know, I'm working on having more choices.  Anyway, I think that between the mayonnaise and pecans I threw in, the extra fat may have put me closer to the meal template and I haven't felt hungry since lunch today.  Woot-Woot!!  That's huge for me.

Deb - I loved your post about feeling safe here.  It's so hard to get the feeling of emotion behind posts of perfect strangers.  It's easy to misinterpret.  I give ya'll permission to gently (please, please) reboot me if needed because I want to be healthy and in control of my life. 

KidsFan - welcome.  I hope you find the encouragement and direction you're looking for here.  

Good night fellow 6/9ers. 

@Rosann23 I totally agree re the increase in fat. I added coconut flakes and oil to lunch and an early dinner today and wasn't hungry at all (except just this second when I wrote that!). I think it makes a huge difference. Even though it feels counter intuitive at times!

Have made it through three days and onto Day Four! A little nervous because I have a pattern of failing on days 4 and 5 when I've tried Whole30 or Paleo in the past, but I feel a lot different this time - like maybe I can actually make it through :)

And I made it through last night, despite breaking up with someone I'm dating AND getting back a bad grade on a law school exam within the span of a few hours, but I didn't binge on sugar in response! So the rest of the week can't be so bad, right?

Barney - this is a tough time for many of us and sometimes it feels as if the world is coming down on us all at once. Its NOT! Just remember that "this too shall pass" and keep on...keeping on! I broke up with Captain Morgan on Sunday after we had a nasty fight! I thought we were great for each other but sometimes when we are around our friends......well, he just treats me bad sometimes! Now get back to studying that law....if you get bad law grades you will only be eligible for jobs in politics!

Dave 

Good Morning Everyone!

I just thought I would check to see how everyone is doing.... you all sound great (I was part of the old group 5/5).

If I did it you can all do it!

I am actually still following the Whole30 ...... I had a couple days off (Friday & Saturday) from when I finished last Tuesday but started up again on Sunday after  I broke up with red wine again not Captain Morgan .......

Plain and simple, I just feel better! :) 

Love love love the food of the day what a great idea!

Keep on trucking everyone, it is truly worth all the hard work, dedication that you are putting in!

Good morning 6/9ers!! I just wanted to say that you are all doing awesome!! The newbies are asking great questions and the 5/5ers here for the second round are such great cheerleaders!!

I was in the 5/5 group and am supposed to be doing the reintroduction, but it has been delayed while I recover from walking pnemonia that snuck up on me the last week of my whole30. For now I am back on the whole30 program and happy again. When temptations get hard just think about how awesome you feel when it is over. I honestly cannot imagine ever having some of those things again (i.e. pasta or Captain Morgan!). I am so completely happy on the whole30 now and feel so great!!!

Keep up the good work and have a great day!!!

I'm excited to have 2 great days under my belt and starting day 3.  I have so far been pleasantly surprised with my journey.  While I may not feel 100%, I already feel better than the days of waking up with a sugar hangover. For right now, I'm not too hungry and I have not been pining nostalgic over what I've given up. (I know it will come, but I'm enjoying the peace while I have it.)

The biggest change for me is that I'm becoming a cook! I'm the queen of grab and go.  So the planning, preparing, cooking is new to me, even if they are not complex recipes. For this go around I'm not focused on the food of the day - that's just a little too much stress for me right now - but next 30 days I'll be on it!

Tonight I am making eggplant "ricotta" stacks, from Nom Nom Paleo.  The ricotta is made from crushed macadamia nuts. I hope it's fabulous!

Here we go!

And so begins Day 3 of who knows how many. My last W30 was a W70 anyway. I just don't have reason to bring most stuff back.

The hardest for me is actually avoiding things with artificial sweeteners hidden in them. I used to love SoBe Life Water because is was easy to get my "water" with it and I could pick it up after hockey as a 'recovery' drink given the added vitamins. I also liked it because I c an not eat after hockey, or any workout. I become physically ill if I try. Sadly, it has Stevie in it, so it is out. My answer was to start making my tea from herbal tea-bags the day before. I use my 20oz bottles (I have about 5) filled with water and plunk 2-4 (depending on flavor) bags in overnight. I have a thing about water needing to be ice cold. I can't make sure that happens when out, but the flavor of the tea makes it bearable a bit warmer. I don't get the extra vitamins, but then again I am getting more vitamins anyway.

Today, I actually woke up feeling kind of rested. I slept 6 hours. One thing that never changed for me last time was the number of hours I slept (5-6), but the quality did.

Time to eat; I believe meal 1 will be a leftover hamburger patty, a couple homemade sweet potato home fries, and sautéd Swiss chafed with onions, shallot, and garlic. I may add a plumot or some avocado. I don't really need the extra fat as the Swiss chard was cooked in healthy fat. In teams of fruit--I don't know if I will have room. Going to bullet proof some coffee too--another reason I probably won't add extra fat.

Haven't figured out lunch yet, but dinner is homemade chili. I had lots of leftovers after making stuffed peppers last week. Very simple--onions, celery, carrots, peppers, tomatoes and roasted tomatoes (compliant) and a mix of ground pork and beef. Yummy.

I think one thing on my list today will to start working on next week's menu. I get my CSA box Saturday, but I can start thinking about proteins anyway. Have a great day everyone.

Geminimik:  Happy birthday!!  Oh, Geminis.  I am surrounded by them.  What is it with Geminis having birthdays that they manage to stretch out for a month?

Barney:  hang in there, and congrats on making it through a tough day!

CCLaymon, I know what you mean about learning to cook.  For me, it's making the TIME to plan and cook.  I don't normally use recipes and I like to make things that I can cook in 15 or 20 minutes.  Right now I'm really enjoying discovering new recipies, but that is going to be hard to maintain -- it is sooo time consuming.

I must report however that the Thai green curry turned out fabulous and it will also be breakfast today and probably another couple meals later this week.  Recommend!

What I miss right now:  pre Whole30 I would start my day with just a couple ounces of fresh squeezed orange juice.  It's like I need that burst to freshen my mouth when I wake up and kick start my system.  I have craved it every morning so far (water doesn't cut it, but the craving passes).  I haven't wanted to substitute a piece of fruit because I'm curious about whether it's the sugar I'm craving.

Last bit for now:  last night I dreamt repeatedly that I slipped up and mistakenly ate something verboten and had to start over.  I must have had that dream 5 or 6 times.  Not exactly restful sleeping...

I started Day 2 pretty optimistic.  By 3 pm I had a dull headache and was grouchy. When my husband got home he wanted to know what was wrong and I couldn't even articulate what it was....not having a cell for 3 days and still waiting for a replacement or...being hungry and knowing I couldn't have something sweet....or not sure if I can do this food plan....or my headache...you get the idea.  I have decided that one big hurdle is not knowing what to make at meal time.  Is there a source on this site or elsewhere where I could get 5 days of meals already planned so I can get a handle on what to eat? 

I have really loved everyone's posts.  This is a great group!

I forgot to add something.  Have your eyes been opened to the amount of unhealthy food/drink thrown at us 24/7?  When you read a magazine, go online, check out at the store, watch tv, etc. we are bombarded with unhealthy food/drink choices.  It made me stop and think what this is doing to our society and especially our children. Just something I noticed and wanted to share :)

I'm convinced there must some wonderful benefits to this program or people would not subject themselves to it 2 and 3 times. I am having an unbelievably hard time emotionally and was not expecting that. I started with a friend and we had been getting prepared for weeks and she quit after 2 days. It shook me. Also I had a crazy dream last night about food and had to look around to make sure that wasn't for real. I too drank tons of diet soda before and am having a hard time getting enough water in. I guess this is harder for people who had really bad eating habits like I did. 

I am going to try to tread gently today and not beat myself up for not having energy and getting a ton of other things done. This is the most important thing for my life. Does getting off of sugar give you headaches for days?

Sandy

MUMBUM and ABYN - welcome - Cabbage & apples sounds good!

DONNAR - so fun and encouraging to see you over here. it is amazing how good the body feels isn't it? Glad to hear you're doing well. Please hang with us as we trudge through, reminding us how glorious it is on the otherside!

AUBURNGAL - My heart goes our to you, walking pneumonia, my goodness. Nothing a little bone broth wouldn't cure...serve it up with some fresh parsley!

CCLAYMON - Don't you think this would work better if DAVE would just get up at two, cook us our three meals then drop ship them to our door? I am so ready to close my kitchen...today is salad with boiled egg...I'm over the kithchen!

JENNP  - I too feel a bit better this am, but I added the coffee back in. There is only so much I can do at once and it's not time for that for me...sometimes you have to be a little kind to yourself (well, maybe not Dave).

HIGS, love your outlook. Yes, sugar is appealing in all it's forms indeed and once we get our sugar monsters under control, a small glass of OJ or a bowl of berries will be a real treat, how WONDERFUL will that be? LOL GEMINI's the kid's call it Mom's Month Of Mayem...mother's day and then birthday...but JUNE...that's good even for me.

BARNEY - you got my heartstrings on several level. I rarely date anymore (at 54) because the process of realizing someone is "not my cup of tea" and having to communicate that sends me into a "food-tail-spin", you should be VERY proud of yourself, not wallowing in that! Secondly, My son (23) is living at home and just finished his first year of Law School. We have had some really rough grades, finals, self-evaluations, doubts, fears - and honestly the only thing worse than going through it yourself is being your mother! Just to make it to law school you have to be a dedicated, hard-working and bright soul. The way you are eating now will give you more energy to study, better sleep to be prepared for tests and clearer vision to pick out the next soul to be a part of your wonderful life! (end of lecture - my kids prefer I spell out the period).

Darling DEBC, Rosann, Dave and anyone I missed....Good Morning from Sunny CA. (actually it's June Gloom, I'm pretending but I didn't want Deb ratting me out).

I added a little fruit back and I lowered my fat a bit...I'm feeling a little over starched and fatted...but I'm actually feeling when it comes to food, so that is good.

Make it a wonderful day 3...I have my black coffee...can you believe that made me a happy ole girl.

MamaMiki

Barney- hang in there!! I have done the same, around day 3-5 I tend to cave.

Gaminilink- Happy Birthday!!

Singing Mom- I woke up with a bag headache this morning. You can do this, hang on. The first time I was researching whole 30 I went on to nomnompaleo.com, she has her whole 30 meals from her first W30. she posted breakfast lunch and dinner for the full 30 days, it helped me to get ideas.

I could have caved yesterday, I had 2 large gourmet pizza steaming in front of my nose, my friend ordered a bottle of wine and the waitress served me a glass as well. I had voices in my head telling me "whats one sip" and my husband telling me "drink your iced tea" I had to lift my jaw and wipe my drool for over an hour.

I literally rolled out of bed feeling cranky with a headache. Is anyone else feeling it? My co-worker was feeling tired yesterday mid noon. I feel like I need to go back to bed and sleep the rest of the day.

Day 3 here we go...

Archived