9 June Start

dcducks1

@Andria, yes, that's my pet goat Bella!  I have three goats - they are wonderful, smart, charismatic animals.  Please tell us your goat story somewhere around Day 4 when this Whole30 is getting really rugged and we could all use a pick-me-up!   :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all. I'm starting June 9 as well. Hard to have a very optimistic outlook as I've been on a "Day 1, Day 0, repeat" cycle for weeks. I previously tried and had gotten to Day 14 or so. The hardest thing for me is sugar.

I travel a lot, but for the next six weeks I'll be on a compound with basically a dorm-style cafeteria. I do have a kitchen, but the food I can purchase is quite limited. Most food options are from the cafeteria. The sundae bar and cookie/cake displays (all free, some available 24/7) are major temptations too. After a stressful day (there are plenty of those), I fall easily into the "I deserve something to take the edge off" mentality.

But today's a new day! Here's hoping.

Good luck to everyone! Any suggestions are welcome from those with experience or hope :) I'm off to breakfast.

Wow and just Wow!!! So I know that I don't know how to do this thing. So I signed up to get the emails everyday in my inbox. After thinking that could have been a waste of 15 bucks, I just checked my email and it was there and let me tell ya...WOW! If I don't know I know where to go. 

They DO know exactly how I feel and even have a name for it...frexcited (frightened and excited) It was slap full of wonderful recipe tips and info of why we need to eat like this. I would have paid 15$ for just this email! Links to go get weeks full of recipes to help the first week! I'm so impressed!

My last crappy decision was baking one of my favorite desserts last night and then eating half the pan. That was my good-bye to the sugar dragon! I feel like a bloated, beached whale (which I have felt a lot in the past hence my name, Sandybeached). I feel foggy, irritated, and even itchy all over. I'm so ready and in need of this new life. I am so thrilled to be going through it with all of ya'll (yes, I'm from the south, where we were raised as feeders) Let's get is started! (song plays in my head) :) <3 

Sandy

P.S. Weight, measurements, and pics...done. And just as depressing as I knew they would be. :(

If everyone hasn't done that yet, Do It Now!

C'mon now, we are not 'The Unstoppable 6/9ers' for nothing!

Hey all. I'm starting June 9 as well. Hard to have a very optimistic outlook as I've been on a "Day 1, Day 0, repeat" cycle for weeks. I previously tried and had gotten to Day 14 or so. The hardest thing for me is sugar.

I travel a lot, but for the next six weeks I'll be on a compound with basically a dorm-style cafeteria. I do have a kitchen, but the food I can purchase is quite limited. Most food options are from the cafeteria. The sundae bar and cookie/cake displays (all free, some available 24/7) are major temptations too. After a stressful day (there are plenty of those), I fall easily into the "I deserve something to take the edge off" mentality.

But today's a new day! Here's hoping.

Good luck to everyone! Any suggestions are welcome from those with experience or hope :) I'm off to breakfast.

Welcome! Glad you are here with us and I too am fighting the sugar dragon. I don't have any experience with this program but I have a ton of hope. I do know for me in the past my mouth can't want what my eyes don't see. I am going to try to stay away from even looking at sweets. I don't need even the slightest trigger. I believe if you made it 14 days you can certainly do this thing!  

Hugs! Sandy

Good morning! Hopefully everybody has taken their weight, pics, measurements and feel completely disgusted and terrible! IT ALL GETS BETTER FROM HERE! We are underway and appear to have a great group....some with some experience, some with none! Please be supportive and stay involved. Add comments and questions as much as you can.......I want to see that you are staying involved. I spent the weekend cooking different things to set me up for the week. Made some hom-made cherry BBQ sauce and mayo and I think I am ready! Here we go!

Sandy - glad you got your money's worth  - plenty of great info is now available to you.

Duke - you are obviously here for a reason........hold off the temptation to eat sugar! You made it Day14....one more week would have broken the sugar addiction...you were very close last time....we will get you there this time. Be strong!

Andria - glad you have joined us. Sorry that you dont have a support system at home but all you really need is to have a positive attitude and be supportive of yourself. We will do the heavy lifiting....you just keep your promise to yourself! Easy -Peasy!

Gabenick - what a horrible experience...ugh! Hope you feel better soon and glad to have you with us!

Miki - HELLO? She was having a tough time logging on to the forum so hopefully she is getting that worked out.

Jess - congrats on a great start to the program. I had to order my cocnut aminos but they might be in the Soy Sauce aisle of your grocery store or at an Asian food store.

Elderkam  - welcome to the group......please feel free to be totally compliant, have a great time, and be successful!

Bcurt - sounds like you are well prepared and ready to go....good luck!

CCLaymon - good luck to you and your husband......keep each other honest!

Have a great day everyone!

Dave

I love that this is day one for most of us and there's already five pages on this thread, haha, you guys are awesome! 

Took 3 days in between my first whole30 and round 2 and I gotta say, I am ready to get back on track! I drank sugar and half and half in my coffee over the weekend and was missing my coconut milk- no bellyache! 

Going to try eating my eggs with kale this morning instead of my usual sweet potato hashbrowns, we'll see...

Have a great day 1, everyone! 

So.....in the spirit of honesty.....I will come clean! Day one hasn't started as chipper and happy as I wanted it to since I rolled out of bed with a thick Captain Morgan induced fog! Great weekend with boating and sunshine........and ....from my weakest recollections.......some sparring between me and the Captain. I'm not sure who won the fight.......first thought is it might have been a draw! So...now that I have him out of my way...(he's off limits for the next month......thankfully)......I am ready for my successful Whole30 journey.

Bluegrass - I agree ....we get a lot of input and a ton of views! At this rate, this group should easily surpass our last.

Dave

Good Morning 6/9rs,

It's a miracle. It took me all morning to get on, but I'm back on...sure wish I know what button I pushed to get locked out of everything...but I recommend you don't push it!

Will have to post officially after I get to work as I am late, late, late and I need to measure...

GO TEAM...we're off!

Miki

Congrats Barney!

Dave, sorry your day 1 will be a little tougher than the norm, but we know you're amazing and can do it....lots of water!

So, for the new folks, last time I attempted this, I didn't realize how many improvements I was making till I went off track and nasty stuff started coming back.

So I'm going to list my aches & pains, not for sympathy...but to remind myself what I was feeling like when I started the program.

Stuffy nose, sinus. heavy eyes and face. Tension in neck. Gentle pain and twinges in lower back, difficulty opening a plastic mayonnaise jug. Pain in injured hip, new pain in other hip, left heal pain, no energy to go to the gym or yoga class, tightness/twinges in left calf, ready for bed at 8pm, hard time getting up at 5. Don't want to go on a date (feel old, fat, injured and would rather eat REALLY?).

I'm going to try posting my food on the troubleshooting site with the exception of fun food and of course our ingredient of the day via Darling Deb...which I believe is Sweet Potato. I thinking it's going in my lunch salad which I'll post later.

Just finished breakfast and I got a twinge of anxiety...have I eaten enough, will it last me to 12:30...I can't even have a radish? starting to panic and rationlize...luckily I have Dearest Dave in my head saying "Buck up Soldier, you make a commitment. Pull your shoulders back, get your jug of water and MARCH"...whew, now I feel better.

Go Getem Kids...We've got this.

m

Miki - Stuffy nose, sinus. heavy eyes and face. Tension in neck. Gentle pain and twinges in lower back, difficulty opening a plastic mayonnaise jug. Pain in injured hip, new pain in other hip, left heal pain, no energy to go to the gym or yoga class, tightness/twinges in left calf, ready for bed at 8pm, hard time getting up at 5. Don't want to go on a date (feel old, fat, injured and would rather eat REALLY?)......did you have Capt. Morgan too? You just described my morning pains.

Dave

Miki- I do plan on calling the health department.

I was up last night with major heartburn from sipping on both from the yucky progresso soup, I only had a few spoonfuls of broth. Woke up with a major headache, great way to start day 1.

I measured and weighed in today. Breakfast was sweet potato hash with 2 over easy eggs and an avocado.

We can do this!!

Welcome! Glad you are here with us and I too am fighting the sugar dragon. I don't have any experience with this program but I have a ton of hope. I do know for me in the past my mouth can't want what my eyes don't see. I am going to try to stay away from even looking at sweets. I don't need even the slightest trigger. I believe if you made it 14 days you can certainly do this thing!  

Hugs! Sandy

Thx, SandyB! So far so good today. Made it past the office pizza party, and bought some compliant food at the small market available here. Off to dinner. Day one almost done!

Go team!

Finding myself staring at the clock waiting for lunch. Really, no snacking? Not surprised I'm hungry right now considering the large quantities of crappy food I've eaten over the last week.

But at least the black coffee wasn't so bad.

Totally agree about staring at the clock, especially when I'm sitting in an office doing legal research - my eyes are wandering over to the chocolate Santa candies (gross, right, since they must be months old?) on my co-worker's desk. I can't remember if there's something about this in the book, but I assume gum is a no-go for Whole30? Finding that I've chewed like four pieces this morning to distract myself before lunch...

can't remember if there's something about this in the book, but I assume gum is a no-go for Whole30? Finding that I've chewed like four pieces this morning to distract myself before lunch...

You are correct: gum is not allowed on a Whole30.  

No need to restart from the gum you had this morning, but hide the gum for the remainder your Whole30.

Really, no snacking? Not surprised I'm hungry right now considering the large quantities of crappy food I've eaten over the last week.

The idea is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Following the recommended meal template is the best way to do so.  Play with your protein, veg and fat portions until you get there. 

The need to snack is typically an indication that your earlier meals aren't big enough.  If you find yourself genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: ask yourself if you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal that contains a protein and fat. 

bcurt - hang in there...it will get better. What did your breakfast consist of? I have read how some people have added an extra egg in the morning to help get them to lunch without snacking. As far as crappy food, I remember the first time I tried this program....I was amazed when I sat back and thought about how much garabage I had been consuming on a daily basis. I was holding this weight on me and couldn't figure out why. I am very active and I dont eat big meals.........but when you start thinking about a little something here and something else over there....it adds up fast. I dropped 17 pounds on my first attempt. My biggest issue is "grazing". I can't have snack chips in a bowl in front of me and just eat a few........but I know that about myself and I just remove myself from the situation. It can be done.......u will figure the snacking issue out.

Dave

Barney - stay away from the evil Santa. That kind of reminds me of when I lived in Bermuda and the cargo ships would bring in food and I would be looking at the Christmas edition of Captain Crunch....in JULY.......from the year before!

Dave

I guess my problem is I used to stay signed in and now I don't?Anyways. 

Gabenick, that breakfast sounds great for your situation...maybe a little more sweet pot and no raw veggies till your tummy settles down.

I'm about ready to take a nap...9:41 am. I have the munchies, but I'm not hungry at all.

Barney, I'm tempted to put a sign up on my work mates M&M dispenser...SUGAR KILLS - do you think that would be overdoing it?

Bcurt - good job. yes, the first couple of days are a little like flu for me, but I know it will pass.

Duke - you're on a roll!

I had a date with food, not Captain Morgan, but still experiencing a sugar hangover, Dave.

I need to make my mayo as I'm having a hankerin for egg salad.

Miki

Miki/Mini -  Im making mayo tonight....not sure what Im going to use it on......but I need to make it. I did a triple batch of the cherry BBQ sauce so I have plenty of that. I have a lot of fish that I need to eat up in the freezer so I think I will concentrate on eating that up this month. I also have a ton of pork sausage that I helped make  so I KNOW it doesn't have any sugar in it.

Hope everyone is doing well with the first day.

Dave

Archived