9 June Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

I'm new to W30 but heard about it from my sister, who followed it for nearly the entire 30 days,with testimony that she felt a difference fairly quickly into the 30 days.  Because of this, I got the Whole30 book and am learning about compliant/non-compliant foods. I intended to start June 1, but came across this group and you all sound like fun, hardworking individuals with some experience that I'd appreciate learning from.  I'm all in - and hope to be a part of this group, if I may.   

Hey there, we were/are fun but most of this group has disappeared because it was a year ago.  We have a current group that's finishing up at the end of the month.  (It actually startled me to see my old elgroupin come up...thought a blast from the past was showing back up). :D  

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27253-dirty-thirty-roundup-and-ride/page-24

• 3 months later...

LGO...way to go.  La Grande Orange.

To go back to the well means to return to the source of something valued.  Well originally meant any source from which water emerged from the earth -- a 'spring', or 'fount', not just a dug well -- and that meaning was transferred quite early to the source of other good things: the 'well of life'.

I'm somewhere in the future and I look much better than I look right now.   I'm somewhere in the future and I've stuck the landing.  

If you weren't here then, I can't see you now.  I've gone back to the future. 

Hello Kids,

Just can't resist a chance to catch up with my darling Meadow, Laurie and anyone of the crew. I keep up with Rosann, Dave and Cassandra on FB. 

Meadow, please tell me about your reunion, that was July right? Are you stilll W30? 

Laurie, I am so sorry to hear about Steve, I thought you had just ridden off into the sunset. I pray this is simply a setback and that they figure out what is going on and get it fixed. Be kind to yourself Laurie.

Darling Dave had another something or other done to his something or other but he seems to be bouncing back in fair style.

I took my Mediterranean Cruise...time of a lifetime, but am moving back into serious health mode.

I haven't caught up with debbie in forever and a day...but hopefully soon - does she still hang out in these parts?

Okay, have a lot on my daily planner but you kids hang in there and let me know if you ever start a small, intimate W30 again. I do miss our original group terribly.

hugs

mix

Oooooo Miki,  

It's so good to hear your voice.   I can hear it.   We've missed you.  The half has not been told how much.  Laurie needs you today.   I need you today.   The world needs you every day.   

The reunion.  I made it through that.   I'm still tooling along.  Yes.  I am.   I want to stick the landing.  It's going on 16 months now.   No thrill eating or full on food benders.   No sireee.  

So come back to us when you can.   I'll run after your car and lick your tires.  You know I will.  I'm not there yet but I'm going to get there.   I am somewhere in the future and I look much better than I look right now.  Today,  I look like something the cat dragged in.   I've been up since the early morning hours,   my feet hit the floor and I have Laurie and Steve on my heart.

Now I know why.   Check in here and don't be a stranger.   We need to see your smiling face and hear your voice.  It's like music to my ears.

Okay, have a lot on my daily planner but you kids hang in there and let me know if you ever start a small, intimate W30 again. I do miss our original group terribly.

hugs

mix

One day,  I hope dcducks feed-ducks-smiley.gif?1292867592   Dave   comes back to us and starts another group when he's back in biz like the bull that he is.   Chief.     group-hug2-smiley.gif?1292867610

I'm waiting.  heart-shape2-smiley.gif?1292867614 I'll wait for youhippie1-smiley.gif?1292867617  until the cows come home and the best  mech-bull-smiley.gif?1292867637Whole 30 no1-friend-smiley.gif?1292867645 friendsmail-happy-smiley.gif?1292867634 I've ever had come back.   camp-fire-smiley.gif?1292867563

Laurie,

Meadow has rallied the troops! I am so sorry that Steve is back in the hospital. What fighters you both are! We'll be praying for you the both. I wished we lived closer and we would come right over there and give you a big hug.

I have been way off the Whole 30 - I've never gotten back to the consistency I had with our gang last summer. I'm starting a new program tomorrow called 8 Weeks to Wellness. It was started by my friend Dr. Denise. The first week of eating is even more strict than Whole 30 - NO FRUIT! I guess that's really the spirit of Whole 30, but I NEVER did no fruit. Truly, I can do anything for a week :)  I'm just so excited to start feeling good again.

Hang in there dear Laurie. We love you!

CC

Hi all, what timing. I've just been pushing myself that I need to get my eating on track again. Way too much diet coke and chocolate has snuck back in.

With the sunshine returning here, yay to the end of winter, it's time to get on the wagon again.

Laurie, thinking of you and Steve!

Hello everyone! So nice to see so many of the original groups. Laurie - sorry to hear about Steve going back into the hospital, I pray it is something that can be corrected quickly and home bound you both will be. I am recovering from spine surgery that was done on Sept 2nd. They went thru the front of my neck to repair two herniated discs. The first few days were murderous trying to swallow and there were a couple of really scary times when breathing wasn't very easy either. But, I am up and about, off of work for several more weeks until I can drive but will probably start doing some "telework" from home in the next week or so with my trusty laptop. Have a great day everyone, hope all are doing well.........Laurie and Steve.....stop clowning around and get better now!

Dave

The old crew, resurrected!  Hi everyone!!

Laurie, I just came down from the mountains in Idaho where we had no cell reception (ah, to be unplugged!) and got the news from Meadow about Steve having a rough go right now.  I am so, so sorry that you both have to go through all these trials.  Hang in there, Laurie, and know that Steve is buoyed and comforted by all the love you have for him.  Your love for him is palpable.  I can feel it from way out here in Oregon!  I am thinking of you both, and sending you hugs and love.

All:  it is so wonderful to hear all your updates!  I am not Whole30-ing at the moment, but I am well on my way towards my half marathon next month.  I have worked my way up to 9 miles of running, and my 10k times have been dropping with each race.  I feel like such a jock, y'all!  Also did a wonderful backpacking trip with my sister last month.  I have noticed that I've started putting on a little weight because with all the running I've been doing, I've been "fueling" (ahem) in ways that are not Whole30 compliant.  But with fall right around the corner, I've been fantasizing about having a giant pot of bone broth simmering on the stove, and getting back to something a little closer to a W30 again.

Dave: you have had more than your fair share of surgeries this year, my friend.  I hope you are done with that mess for awhile!

Cara!!  How nice to hear from you!  What adventures are you and the little ones up to?

Miki, I am SO GLAD you didn't have a hurricane repeat, and that your trip to the Mediterranean was smooth sailing!

CC, did you do another tri this summer?  It seems like you and Rick are going great guns these days.

Meadow, what was your reunion?  You are amazing!!!  Still going strong, right?  I thought of you when I was in Idaho this past week, so close to Yellowstone.  We didn't see bear or hear wolves, but we did hear elk bugling.  The aspen are just starting to change.  So beautiful.

I miss Debbie and Rose…  

Love and hugs to all.  <3

Wow!  The "family" is back.  Thank you Meadow for getting everyone together.

So life has been a living hell for a long time.   Right after the stem cell transplant, Steve had graft vs. host disease of the skin and intestines.   Later on, he experienced graft vs. host of the liver.   Steve takes tons of medications which include prednisone, antirejection drugs, antifungals, antivirals, etc.  The medications have kept Steve alive  but the side effects are destroying him.  Currently, Steve has double pneumonia, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease and 9 compression fractures in him spine (which can't be fixed - too many fractures).  He has been in so much pain for so long.  About a month ago, we got a wheelchair and hospital bed for our apartment.  Steve entered the hospital about 2 weeks ago and was then transferred to ICU on Saturday.  I was with him at the time.  I was so scared. He could not breath and his pulse and blood pressure were very high.  One of the doctors asked me if I knew Steve's wishes just in case they could not save him.  I feel this is too much for someone like me to handle but I am learning there is strength within me.  Steve has survived the crisis but I am very aware that this may happen again.  His immune system is very suppressed due to all of the meds.  Pneumonia is common among stem cell transplant patients and it often kills.  I need to be realistic but also optimistic. 

I don't know when Steve sill be released from the hospital.  The next step will be acute inpatient rehabilitation. 

I have spent a lot of time at the hospital.  Steve's parents are here now so I'm spending more time at home.  Nurses and social worker kept telling me I need to go home.  It's so hard to care for yourself when the one you love is so sick and in so much pain.  It makes me feel like I am being selfish.  However, I do know that I am going to completely breakdown (well, that has already happened numerous times) if I don't care for myself.

Whole 30 - I was doing great with W30 - no fruit/no nuts/no nut butters for a long time - a very extended W30.  When Steve entered the hospital, I picked up a few bad habits - diet coke, sugar free suckers, etc.  I  ate many meals at the hospital.  I ordered off the regular menu and ordered mainly paleo but I'm sure the food is cooked with the wrong oils, etc.  I also started up again with nuts (too many), fruit (not too much) and just eating too much at times when I went home.  Given the circumstances, this is no big deal.  However, I feel completely out of control and often have stomach aches from the soda and suckers.  I am also very depressed.  So it's time to do something that will make me feel better and that will start with eliminating diet soda, suckers and nuts and keeping my portion sizes in check.  At this point, it's not realistic for me to go back to whole 30 but Whole 30 is my goal once life is a little more stable.

I hope we can all stay in touch.  Drop in when you have time. 

Sending lots of love to all of you!  Thanks for putting a smile on my face by being here with me!

Archived