5/5 group - reintro time :)

Kage

Thanks Marita! The past 10 years have certainly been a journey and I am glad to be on the right track.

I'm feeling a little bit better, so the antibiotics are working. Since I was feeling so crummy, it was hard to judge what effect the dairy Friday had on my body over the weekend. I can say though, I didn't enjoy my chai tea as much with milk...guess I've gotten used to the coconut milk. While I've always loved cheese, it just doesn't seem that important anymore. I did enjoy a sprinkle of Parmesan on my meatballs at lunch though. I guess I have learned that cheese doesn't have to be a main ingredient anymore in things I love, it is better as a flavor enhancer!

The next thing I will try is non-gluten grains. In the mean time I am still adding to my recipe files with more whole30 approved meals. Yesterday I made grilled brussel sprouts, garlic roasted sweet potatoes, Jamaican lime chicken, and mango salsa. It was all so yummy. I also made a breakfast casserole that I had this morning and it was awesome. The recipe is below and the only change I made was by using chorizo sausage (I can't find any compliant, so I used ground pork and found a recipe for the spices to add)

http://bigeatstinykitchen.com/2012/08/04/make-ahead-mexican-breakfast-casserole-gluten-free-grain-free-and-dairy-free/

I've decided to take the reintroduction slow since I already know I have some food allergies and intolerances. Monday night I was feeling a bit better so I went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant and introduced non-gluten grains (i.e. corn tortillas and chips). I didn't have any immediate effects, but have noticed I've been a bit more bloated the last couple of days. I think I attribute that more to the fried food than I do to the corn. The challenge I am facing now is that I don't want to reintroduce some of these foods back for eating on a regular basis so I am trying to figure out how to reintroduce without buying large quantities. For example, I don't want to buy a whole jar of peanut butter to try it because I am more than happy with my almond butter. Any way...tomorrow I will try legumes. I may buy a little snack bag of peanuts instead of peanut butter and have beans for dinner.

Auburngal, good luck with the beans. Some tortilla chips are made with wheat and corn flour so you may be ok with corn if those chips were made with just corn. but if they were made with wheat too then maybe thats where the bloating is coming from. 

I have 5 more days before I reintry. I can't wait, food has been pretty basic and repetitive. But my energy has been really great for a couple of days, so maybe finally I have been getting ALL of the crap out!!  

The challenge I am facing now is that I don't want to reintroduce some of these foods back for eating on a regular basis so I am trying to figure out how to reintroduce without buying large quantities. For example, I don't want to buy a whole jar of peanut butter to try it because I am more than happy with my almond butter. Any way...tomorrow I will try legumes. I may buy a little snack bag of peanuts instead of peanut butter and have beans for dinner.

FWIW, when I reintroed legumes, I did hummus, a peanut butter cookie Larabar, and black beans.

My results are in.  I didn't measure before hand, so none of that.  I lost 4 pounds.  I'm kind of bummed about that, actually.  But -- I do feel much better.

I still need to get a handle on better sleep.  I was getting ready to replace my bed and instead, I have loaned my 18 year old daughter money to replace her dead car.  Heck of a choice; but no car = no work for her and where does that get us?  ;-)  She is responsible and will pay it back; but now I get to wait for a while to get a new bed.

I haven't decided what to reintroduce first yet -- but I'm leaning towards cheese.  I am going to do another whole30 starting in mid July.  Next time I will take measurements and I will be exercising consistently, which I did not do this time.

@jlmathis14 suck that the new bed has been delayed. I understand about priorities! Congrats on the 4 lbs. I know it isn't what you were hoping for but it is still great! Energy is a nonscale victory that makes it worth it! I am going to start my second whole30 on July 28th.

I am reintroducing lentils today. I took the suggestion from above and had a peanut butter Lara bar with breakfast. I am going to have some navy beans with lunch and humus with my Asian beef lettuce wraps tonight. I am weighing myself daily right now but only because it is another way for me to tell how my body tolerates some foods. Ex. I have a a yeast allergy and one effect it has on me is that it causes me to gain 8 lbs the day after ingesting yeast or preservatives.

jlmathis12 cheers to your success in your journey. I believe eating w30 or close to it you will continue to lose weight, but haven't you gained more in other ways!! Good luck on the bed, I have been going to bed earlier so I can get more sleep and I believe I feel sooo much better with more sleep. 

Auburngal good luck with the legumes, yikes!

JLmathis - congrats on your success! Continue what you are doing and I can guarantee the small victories will continue to snowball. Those 4 pounds of weight off of your frame add up to more energy, ease of movement and less strain on your joints. All of these benefits will lead to more activity which will continue to help you lose more weight. Don't give up the success that you have earned after 30 days and continue to eat healthy! Everyone is proud of your accomplishment and you should be too!

Dave

I haven't gone crazy during this reintroduction time. I have been eating whole30 and have been playing it safe with my reintroduction foods and I am still reaping the benefits of the program. I still have amazing energy (more now that I'm done with my antibiotics) and have been sleeping soundly. I stepped on the scale this morning to see I'm down almost another 2 lbs since last week. I don't seem to have any negative effects from yesterday's legumes and that makes me happy since I am a huge hummus fan! I am so excited by the changes that I have made and know that with the increased energy the remaining 70 lbs or so that I need to lose will come off a lot easier. I even jogged in place the other night which is huge considering I've had 9 knee surgeries! I come from a family of runners, so it is nice to know that I might be able to jog every now and then :-)

SOOO wonderful Auburngal!!!! I agree I am just feeling better and better and losing more and more ( I think) I haven't weighed myself again but I just feel smaller??!! Clothes fitting better. Can't wait to reintry  :lol: on Monday. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

So I'm really glad that I decided to take my reintroduction time slowly! So far I have figured out that I have no problem with beans, peanuts, gluten containing grains, and corn. I have a slight reaction to milk, but only if I have a large amount...no problem with just a small sprinkle of parmesean. My bigest negative reaction came last night when I tried soy. I made a dish that had soy sauce in it (no msg or any preservatives I would react to) and felt miserable very quickly, slept lousy last night and woke with a tummy ache. I'm glad that thru the whole30 I've learned that I enjoy coconut aminos and can still make chinese food sans soy, but am a little sad that I will no longer be going to my favorite chinese restaurant.  The only two foods I haven't tried yet are rice and oats, but I am not anticipating much of a reaction to those.

I went shopping for new work clothes since I will be working from my office again starting Monday. When I started working from home 3 years ago I was a size 24 and I am going back to the office a size 16! I have already started prepping for going back to the office and sticking to a whole30/paleo way of eating. I have a stash of Lara bars and almonds to keep in my desk drawer in case of emergency ;)  and have plotted out my breakfasts and lunches.

Hope every one else is doing well!!

Hey Auburngal!! nice loss  :)  I have only reintro'd ghee. Im still in the wait and see stage but I am going to try rice tomorrow. How are you going to reinto rice? Any recipes? sounds like you are having an easy time in your reintro. I hope that my reactions are as obvious. Are you still doing no sugar, alcohol, basically still w30?

I am still basicly whole30. I did have some sugar though when I added gluten. I ate a cupcake that I saved in the freezer. I couldn't handle the sugar in the icing...too sweet!!! I tried honey in my tea my first day but it didnt taste right anymore so I am back to drinking it with just coconut milk. But I enjoyed the lemon cupcake without it. For rice I think I'm going to just make a side of wild rice.

Archived