What's the deal with Fiber&Carbs?

I've read on some boards that fiber in veggies don't count as total amount of carbs consumed as they are eaten by /food for good gut bacteria and thus never even entering the body. Is that true? bc that could mean one is actually consuming less carbs than they think.....

Hello,

There are different types of fiber, some beneficial in the right amounts, others less so or not at all.

But basically, when we are discussing whole foods: veggies, fruits, roots, tubers, etc., there is the total carbohydrate value (the total grams of carbohydrate in the broccoli) and the net carbohydrate value (the total grams of carbohydrate in the broccoli minus the total grams of fiber in the broccoli). Cooking breaks down some of the fiber in foods, concentrates sugars (not much usually) and alters the net carb value of whole foods somewhat--usually a small increase. But correct cooking also frees up certain nutrients in the food and tends to be much easier on a delicate stomach.

When it comes to fruit (especially dried) or starchy vegetables, you can still spike your insulin by eating too much in one sitting despite the net carb value for the meal and for the day. These foods taken with protein and fat will slow the absorption of the sugar somewhat.

There is a great free website called Nutrition Data that you can use to calculate net cabs if you really need to. But if you follow the Whole30 plan as it is outlined it is probably not necessary.

;)

Well I remember that one of the first Whole30 versions had an entire list of veggies&fruit allowed,however I don't see that anymore in the current version so it's kind of a mystery to me when you mention "follow the Whole30 plan as outlined". Then there's the fat the size of a thumb...I really have small thumbs/hands as I'm not tall,so the thumbsize would only be to cook my proteine in.

Hi again,

The Whole30 Plan is on the Whole9 site:

http://whole9life.co...hole30-program/

Click on the shopping list for PDF of allowed foods.

What I meant by "follow the plan..." is there is usually no reason to count carbs, and it is easy thing to sucked into. It can have an adverse effect on your relationship with food (IMHO). Your portion sizes need not be precise either, just within that range.

Do you have a copy of ISWF?

Cheers,

Maeva

Hi again,

The Whole30 Plan is on the Whole9 site:

http://whole9life.co...hole30-program/

Click on the shopping list for PDF of allowed foods.

What I meant by "follow the plan..." is there is usually no reason to count carbs, and it is easy thing to sucked into. It can have an adverse effect on your relationship with food (IMHO). Your portion sizes need not be precise either, just within that range.

Do you have a copy of ISWF?

Cheers,

Maeva

I've seen the lis&the plate picturet but it doesn't state anything regarding specific and also the more exotic veggies&fruits. Not to even mention if they're highcarb or not but I understand that's also kinda hard to do bc of the Carbcontent stuff.

No I don't have the book as it is a bit costly for me and bc from my own experience I never tend to read/finish those kind of books.(I have stacks of printed eBooks here and very few of them interested me enough to read entirely)

Archived