Question about kombucha

BrandiSCollins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I just need to either break down and buy the scoby or get to making one myself. I tried to find just plain kombucha a week or so ago and didn't see any. It this could cost me $ 20 a week at the rate I drink it! So I definitely plan to look into an alternative to buying it. Because I really like it and I have the feelin it's going to be a good substitute for wine/beer/ etc for the most part.

• Moderators

I just drank my fourth bottle of GT Dave's. I had "issues" after the first two bottles, but things have settled down now. I'm planning to drink a bottle a day this week. I like every flavor I've tried so far.

Tiffani - Welcome! You can find Kombucha at whole foods or a natural foods store, but I'm not sure you could find it in regular grocery stores. It will be in a refridgerated case. Do be carefull about which one you pick, though. It needs to be unpasturized, and sugar should only be used in fermentation. GTs is a good one (I love the Gingeraide). Choose a variety with less than 2 grams of sugar on the label. Other brands are really just glorified fruit juice...so you have to avoid those.

If you want to make it you can also just make the mix (sugar, and tea) and then add a whole bottle of raw GT original Kombucha....it takes a lot longer the first time, but it grows its own scobie and the next time you just use that....

:)Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

I am susrprised about making it. The recipe callds for 1 cup sugar. How can tht be OK/

The sugar is necessary for it to ferment.

fermentation [ËŒfÉœËmÉ›nˈteɪʃən]

n

(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biochemistry) a chemical reaction in which a ferment causes an organic molecule to split into simpler substances, esp the anaerobic conversion of sugar to ethyl alcohol by yeast Also called ferment Related adj zymotic

fermentative adj

fermentatively adv

fermentativeness n

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

fermentation (fûrlprime.gifmebreve.gifn-tamacr.gifprime.gifshschwa.gifn)

The process by which complex organic compounds, such as glucose, are broken down by the action of enzymes into simpler compounds without the use of oxygen. Fermentation results in the production of energy in the form of two ATP molecules, and produces less energy than the aerobic process of cellular respiration. The other end products of fermentation differ depending on the organism. In many bacteria, fungi, protists, and animals cells (notably muscle cells in the body), fermentation produces lactic acid and lactate, carbon dioxide, and water. In yeast and most plant cells, fermentation produces ethyl alcohol, carbon dioxide, and water.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently brewing a batch in my pantry. I am concerned about the alcohol content. Does the it get higher the longer it brews? Is there a way to test the alcohol content besides seeing if it gives you a buzz?

I was planning on brewing mine for a long time (4wks) to make sure the sugar is all eaten up. I've seen a lot of heal-your-gut protocols include kombucha but ban alcohol (obvi). Any thoughts?

I decided that I like the flavor of the ginger kombucha, but cannot get past the slimy floating things in it.

I try to pretend they aren't there...but one time I was drinking it and a slimey was halfway in my mouth as I took the bottle away. I didn't know it was halfway and it slapped me on the chin! I was horrified!! LOL

I just started growing a scoby from a bottle of revive. All the tutorials say it should be ready to brew kombucha in 3-4 weeks but because of how long it takes to grow the scoby the tea will be live vinegar so I can't imagine what 4 weeks will taste like.

I decided to start mine with revive because of the mix of bugs but was really worried it would grow well since it has less slime than GT's but so far it's growing nicely. Btw, when I buy kumacha I drink it out of a glass so I can remove the slime.

Archived