june whole30 robotstyle!

robotarmy

I stopped by here for a hot minute in February to log whole30 number 4. Well, that got derailed very quickly, due to reasons. Between then and now, a lot has happened. All good stuff, but it made me really busy, and I used that as an excuse to get back to 80/20 with how I eat, and that always turns into a slippery slope of weight gain for me.

Anyway. For those of you who have read my w30 logs in the past, the biggest news is: there is a señor robotarmy hanging about! (Last year was a weird and difficult year personally for me, if you're unfamiliar with my hijinks.) sr robotarmy is pretty great. Plus, he's extremely supportive of my dietary choices, and has been fabulous as I've done this w30 so far.

Now: to the on-topic business. I'm doing this whole30 along with a friend who's trying it for the first time. She had apparently been curious about it, and when she texted to ask about my experience with it, I said, "Well...June has 30 days!" And so our June team whole30 was born.

So far I've had a ton of really amazing beef soup (I made...a lot of it), and tons of salads and cold gazpacho with salmon, sardines, and anchovies.

Friend reports that, aside from some weird dreams and a bout of irritability with someone, she's doing well and feeling great! Super proud of her!

I'm on vacation for now, so expect lots of food-filled posts from me :P Happy whole30ing everyone!

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention this morning: totally dragging today, though I generally feel good. Had trouble sleeping, slept in until 7:30 (2.5 hours later than usual), and feeling like a nap, though it's 11am. I have the luxury of being able to take it easy today, so I'm going to listen to my body and let it recover from all the (EXCELLENT) pizza last week.

Slept so much better last night. 10 hours. Trying to hone in on what makes really good sleep for me. I. Love. Sleep.

So yesterday sr robotarmy and I went out to dinner, as I had been cleaning the house all day and needed a break. Chipotle or a local Irish restaurant? He loves Irish food, and I knew there was a salad on the menu that would be perfect for w30. Decision made.

I forgot, however, that the salad has these beautiful potatoes as an important part of it. Deciding that a $15 salad wouldn't be worth it if it were missing a substantial ingredient, I ordered wings with no sauce and sweet potato fries. It wasn't ideal, but it really hit the spot (I was very hungry). Everything else on the menu was inaccessible to me. Wheat/dairy as far as the eye can see. So I made the best decision I could, and had a satisfying meal.

Breakfast this morning: 2 scrambled eggs, zucchini, sweet potato with onions. Black iced tea. Then, on to a little work and coffee with a friend!

Lunch: salmon with gazpacho. Trying to drink a ton of water because it's going to be well over 100 while I'm out today.

It's only day 5 of this and I'm already feeling tremendous. Can't wait for more!

Day 6 just started, going strong! Up to do some laundry and have breakfast before heading to our local yearly comicon. Going to do some preliminary going around, and hope to meet up with a friend who's also going! It can be a little bit tricky to meet up at the convention center, as there is NO cell phone service inside where the convention is. Charging the phone up now.

Breakfast will probably be similar to yesterday, I haven't quite managed it yet.

One weird thing: Yesterday when it came time for dinner, I was HUNGRY. And not for what I had in the house. In order to use what food I've had on hand, there have been a lot of eggs, fish, and veggies. I was hungry and dying for something different. Chicken. Beef. Pork. Ham. Bacon. Sausage. Even cheese! Cheese would have sated me! And it wasn't a craving for some kind of non w30 food, it was definitely a message of: "I need something more substantial." So I ate my tuna/cauliflower stir fry thingy and called it a day, because I wasn't going to manage a trip to the store.

Today I will get to the store to get some good meats for the weekend. I've been doing really well on eating veggies, so it's time to make sure my meat needs are met as well.

Feeling great again today and ready for a fun weekend!

In the middle of a brilliant weekend. Phoenix comicon this weekend, and a ton of walking around, people watching and looking at cool stuff.

Leaving the house this morning was a little disorganized, which resulted in me not having breakfast. Mistake. So when lunch rolled around at 11, I was ready to gnaw my own arm off. Fortunately a restaurant close to the convention center had blackened chicken wings and sweet potato fries. I didn't even really look at the menu, just saw two things I could eat and ordered.

Friend who is (or, mostly likely, WAS) doing this w30 with me is in Mexico drinking and partying. So...I'm a little disappointed that she wouldn't stick with it, especially since she was the one who initiated this and asked me to help be a support system and stuff. And yes, I know that I can't control what other people do, I shouldn't let it bother me, etc., all that stuff. I'm just disappointed because she was talking so much about how she was looking forward to the health benefits. I hope she'll consider starting again when she's back home.

Enough of that. It's been a long day, dinner is at hand, and sr robotarmy and I are sitting on the couch relaxing.

Day 7 nearly in the books, and feeling terrific!

Breakfast this morning was amazing. Local pastured eggs, sweet potatoes with sage/rosemary (all from CSA box), chorizo sausage link. Kudos to Whole Foods for carrying compliant sausages! Boyfriend had beautiful white/red/purple new potatoes from the CSA box in lieu of the sweet potatoes. I was a little jealous, because those potatoes are sooo good. But my sweet potatoes were just as good :)

Dinner last night was a burger patty with avocado, pico de gallo, grilled onions, and jalapeños, with a side of broccoli.

I. Feel. Amazing. Have I mentioned I feel amazing?

While making dinner today, I used up some avocados and limes to make guacamole. Simple enough, right? Except there are some chips from a gathering we had last weekend sitting on the counter. For a brief moment, I rued the whole30. Chips in dip sounded like a nice thing. I had a long (but very fun!) day. I was tired, hot, and hungry. Chips, guac, and a cold drink. Perfect for a 102-degree afternoon, right?

Except I can't have it. I can't.

Not quite. The moment of "I can't" was brief, and you know why? Because the truth is...I can. I can have anything. I can eat chips, I can make grain-free pancakes, I can have good cheese, I can have a cold beer—anything! And if, after I eat my whole30 meal, I still want to choose something off-plan? I will be making the decision with a clear head, not with hunger or cravings. The rad thing is, after a good meal I don't want those off-plan things anymore. :)

Dawn of day 9 and making breakfast. Well, it isn't actually dawn anymore. That happened almost 2 hours ago now.

Meal plan for the day:

Breakfast: leftover kale and sweet potato, scrambled eggs, chorizo link.

Lunch: tomato stuffed with salmon salad, with mixed greens.

Dinner: cold chicken (chicken salad?) left over from last night, some kind of veggie.

Have some stressful work happening in the next couple of days, so am happy to be on point mentally. Thanks whole30!

Yesterday turned out to be a pretty great day. Foodwise, it was great. Breakfast (listed above) was excellent. Lunch was the stuffed tomato, but was interrupted by sr robotarmy's arrival home from work. He then needed to run some errands and invited me along. Having been home all day working, I was pleased to get out of the house and spend some time with him. But it did interrupt my lunch. So after a couple of hours, he said he wanted to grab some dinner (he's on a different eating schedule) and I said I'd go along. No food on the restaurant menu was accessible to me. I mean, I could have gotten a heavily modified order, but there was good food at home. So I waited and ate at home: chicken and veggies hash.

Today, breakfast is braised kale with a sweet potato/chicken/celery/garlic/egg hash. Can you tell I have a bunch of sweet potatoes to eat? Haha.

Coffee with friends this morning, followed by some cleaning and prep for work with a new (temporary) client this afternoon. Good stuff.

New temp client this afternoon was good. Going into the meeting, I had some pretty good info about the arc of their summer plan, so that was nice. Got a good rhythm of how to work together, and I think our time will be productive. My side of the partnership is not easy, so I'm so thankful that I have a clear head from eating clean!

Lunch was weird today. Realized I was straight up out of protein in the house, I went to the store got some chorizo links to cook up quickly for lunch and dinner. As today is a relatively heavy work day, I don't have a lot of time to cook. Tomorrow will be similar, then it will be better. Lunch was chorizo link and sweet potato (I have ONE left! ONE!! YES!!!), and dinner will be a big salad.

I'm way off on the balance of my meals, but have a pretty good handle on how to adjust for the rest of my heavy work days for the next couple of months. In previous whole30s I'd be freaking out about not having the right balance of protein/carbs/veggies/whatever at each meal, but I know how to manage myself when things get a little off now. I dig it.

Speaking of dinner, it might be time to step away from the computer (been working at it with no break for about 2 hours), and have a meal.

Day 10: nearly done!

I do not feel like making breakfast. I feel like sitting on the couch, working and watching Torchwood.

But I have a really great day ahead of me, so I should eat breakfast and get ready for the fun! Kind of annoying (but I'm going to embrace it as fun) is a meeting that turned from a casual lunch to a full on work meeting. Then some work with a client this afternoon that should be pretty rewarding.

Breakfast: eggs, chorizo link, sweet potato. It's my last sweet potato! I will need to get more--money is a little tight, and sweet potatoes will help get me through the rest of the month.

Lunch: Chipotle. (salad with carnitas, guac, and non-corn salsas)

Dinner: Chipotle.

Forgot to mention, everything feels great today! My clothes feel good, my body feels good, my mind is fresh and clear.

Chipotle still plaguing me this morning. Wonder if my food got cross contaminated or something. Because last night my stomach was SUPER gurgly, which it hasn't been since I started this whole30. Boyfriend noticed too. The gurgles turned into...regrets...after dinner and then again this morning.

I am having breakfast this morning, as I'm hungry, but may stay on the light side of eating today. Will play by ear.

Breakfast: salad of mixed greens, radishes, cucumber, tomato, celery, broccoli, with sliced chorizo. Dressing of olive oil, balsamic, and yellow mustard. So far, so good with the tummy.

Lunch: will have to see.

While I'm lying on the couch in semi-discomfort, I will say that I'm thrilled to see my skin glowing and feeling soft and smooth. That's a pretty cool thing.

So I'm sitting here getting my hair cut, and am thinking about how lucky I am. I have lived with anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember. Eliminating grains/dairy/alcohol does wonders for my mental health. I'm so fortunate to be able to manage my mental health primarily through my food choices. Of course this isn't (nor should it be) the case for everyone. Some people will still need medication. Others (including me) will continue in therapy. Food cannot fix everything for everyone.

But it's a darn good start.

Chipotle regrets see to be a thing of the past! Lunch was kinda nonexistent yesterday, and boyfriend and I had an early dinner. He had all the bread and cheese in the world, and I had a salad and chicken. Super tired when I went to bed last night.

Today is an even bigger professional milestone for sr robotarmy than yesterday was. Today there will be celebratory meals. So I will be eating out twice, and will have to be vigilant with menus. I will also need to have a substantial breakfast so I don't crash at lunchtime.

Almost halfway through this one! Woohoo!

Day 13 is over! Woohoo!

Today was a very good day. sr robotarmy had a huge professional milestone. His parents and I went to see part of the celebration and then took him out to dinner afterward.

Breakfast: salad with greens, veggies (too sleepy to list them all right now), chicken, dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Lunch: a small snack of a chorizo sausage link, as dinner was going to be like 1.5 hours later.

Dinner: chicken and sweet potato fries. Boring. But everything else on the menu was barbecue or fried, so I did my best with the menu. We were at a southern-type place that has (a personal favorite) fried pickles. Was bummed to pass them up when they came to the table, but enjoyed my cold tea and great conversation while celebrating the boyfriend's achievement. My food was fine, if a little boring. But you know what? This meal was about being together and celebrating. The food was, for me, simply fuel for the day.

And now I'm at home, alone, watching Caddyshack. Boyfriend is out with his family, visiting relatives on the other side of town. I'm enjoying some much-needed quiet time. Can't wait for the weekend. Some really great work ahead: have another temp client for the summer, and we are having our initial meeting tomorrow. Then a couple of casual presentations. Low-key stuff, not stressful.

Can't wait for my 9 hours of sleep tonight!

In the midst of a busy weekend. New temp client yesterday was excellent. We worked well together, and they will continue ti work with me for the summer. Yesterday's presentation also went well, but was stressful. Helping out in church this morning,mans that should be nice.

Food yesterday was great.

B: goose egg omelet with spring garlic and scallion. Homemade pork sausage (compliant spicing), local orange-fleshed watermelon. No veggies, but it's okay: we had limited time yesterday morning so prepping veggies didn't quite happen. Didn't kick myself, but promised to do better.

L: chorizo sausage with a huge broccoli salad (broccoli, mixed greens, cucumber, tomato, in a nice garlic vinaigrette—adapted from a Mark's Daily Apple recipe).

D: just a bit of roast chicken. You see, with the work schedule, my timing for wayyyyy off for eating yesterday. Breakfast held me through client work. After that I did some additional research work for a bit, then looked at the clock and realized it was 3! 7 hours since breakfast! I was hungry but hadn't paid attention, because I was involved with work (and, I'll admit, text chatting with a friend...that also made the time go very quickly). So I had a very late lunch that was very big. The chicken eaten at dinner was really just to hold me off from snacking during the later work in the day. It totally worked too, as the only food offered at the work thing was sandwiches and pie.

Went to bed TIRED and slept pretty well. Now I'm up to get ready to help out in church. Have a great day!

Today. Today was my day to enjoy food after many bland, compliant, restaurant meals. Today for lunch I made a celebration meal for boyfriend. Pork chop, sweet potato, broccoli, and meatballs. He had a loaded baked potato in lieu of sweet.

This meal was excellent. We both got about halfway through and resigned ourselves to leftovers for the next couple of meals.

Dinner will be out tonight, as a friend is in town. We are going to meet him at a New Mexican restaurant. Hoping the menu will be easy to navigate.

Halfway through, yay!

Dinner at the New Mexican place was great. Got some blackened shrimp lettuce wraps with avocado slices and a mango/cabbage salad. Worried it wouldn't be substantial enough, I also ordered a side salad. The salad came with goat cheese and tortilla strips, which I pushed aside in order to enjoy the lovely greens and roasted chiles. I did accidentally eat a tortilla strip or two, because they were hiding under leaves :/ oh well. I shall be vigilanter with further salads! The lettuce wraps were great. Would definitely order again! The food there tends to skew a little heavy, and most meals are served with rice and beans or potatoes with green chile sauce. Don't get me wrong, the food is excellent! But none is really whole30 friendly.

Drinking a kombucha and watching some late night cartoons before a work day tomorrow. Followed by a short stint out of town to do some family stuff. Will still be working during time out of town, but it will be nice to have a change of scenery.

So it's officially halfway over :) feeling super great and looking forward to the next 15 days!

Breakfast: 1/2 leftover pork chop from yesterday, giant green salad (mixed greens, carrot, cucumber, tomato, with a garlic vinaigrette).

Still thinking about last night's shrimp. Want to eat again.

Making some plum iced tea and a to-do list for the day's activities. Exciting stuff all around. :P

Have arrived at my out of town destination and had a lovely breakfast of eggs with scallions, and a side of cucumber/tomato salad (Olive oil and vinegar dressing), and an apple. It was nice. Didn't sleep enough last night (only about 6.5 hours) so I might go grab another hour or so right now before I begin work.

It's later now, never did get that extra hour of sleep. Just had a great lunch of cucumber/tomato/carrot salad, sautéed eggplant, and a leftover hamburger. Dressing: Olive oil, balsamic, and yellow mustard. The eggplant was EXCELLENT. My first of the summer!

Dinner: chicken with spring onion and eggplant, small veggie salad. Much the same as earlier today. Today was a great day of eating. I love summer!!

Happy day 17! On the downward slope!

Archived