Safe condiments?

Question from a very new newbie....what specific condiments are allowed in the Whole 30 program? Do you basically just have to read the label to make sure a certain condiment doesn't contain prohibited things such as sugar or oils? If anyone has any tips to get started, I would appreciate it!

Yes, pretty much. Most mustards are safe, but double check. If you have a whole foods get their organic Dijon or brown mustard. Those are safe. Most hot sauces like cholula and salsa are generally ok. Make sure you read the label though, some add sugar and unapproved soybean or seed oils. Basic lesson here, don't trust marketing that it's healthy because it says it is, read the label and if you recognize the ingredients it is usually safe, if you don't it probably isn't good for you. Also making your own mayo is the best!!! Follow Wel Fed's recipe that is in ISWF and you'll be golden! She also has a recipe for sunshine sauce that is bomb.com on veggies and with meats. Oh! Before I forget balsalmic can also be dangerous make sure sulfites are naturally occurring, best best is to buy organic in that department too. ;) Hope this helps.

Trader Joe's has spicy brown mustard that is really good and a delicious jalapeno hot sauce. Coconut Aminos are awesome to cook with. If you have the means to do so I would recommend making the mayo in the book. Other than those , I stick to a fat & spices to season pretty much everything.

I found a paleo ketchup recipe that is easy and yummy: http://notinmoderation.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/nailed-it-ryan-wilders-wicked-easy-paleo-ketchup/ I added salt and a little cinnamon, and next time I will use apple cider vinegar, but I love how simple it was. It's probably not going to work for a kid who's addicted to ketchup, but I needed it as a base for cocktail sauce (add horseradish and lemon) and it was great for that. Now we can have shrimp cocktail for a quick protein hit! Yay!

• 5 months later...

Archived