Libberation's June Whole30: TOTAL FREEDOM

Libberation

I'm getting started a little late! But here I am. 

Day 1: Easy! Awesome! I'm excited about this!

Day 2: Woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck. Seriously. Think I might have the flu.

Day 3:

I still feel like sh*t! The past two days I have had the flu-like symptoms all day long and even called out of work so I could rest. I'm surprised at how crappy I'm feeling because I thought my food was "not that bad" before I started, but I'm really seeing how addicted to sugar and carbs I was and now I guess my body is really taking a minute to adjust to burning fat instead of sugar. Bloated, tired, achy, lethargic. But totally committed to seeing how this all works out. I'm grateful we can have coffee. I'm gonna go get a little bit. 

Breakfast: 3 egg omlette with scallions, basil, cilantro, 1/2 avocado. Had a few sips of a green juice as my fruit (though I know that's not exactly kosher). 

Lunch: red curry with chicken, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, basil, coconut milk

Dinner: romaine salad w tomatoes, mushrooms, pistachios. Rib eye steak, steamed brocolli

Snack: hardboiled egg, orange

*** DAY 3 cont ***

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! I will add some carrots into my lunch or dinner tonight. Also, I am REALLY feeling boated and from what I can tell have gained weight around my midsection in the past 3 days. Is this normal? I'm not going to the bathroom in the morning like I usually do and just feel really fat overall. Meh? Anyone else?

The bloated feeling/gaining weight feeling is pretty normal.  Have you checked out the whole 30 time line? 

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Also possibilities - try to eat cooked veg.  Raw veg may cause stomach distress.  I know for me, my body does not process raw carrots.

You could be having a reaction to coconut or avocado.  play around with different fats(homemade mayo, olives, animal fats, nuts*) for a couple of days.

* go easy on nuts - they also may cause discomfort and bloating for many (I am one of them)

*** DAY4***

After 3 days of pretty intense flu symptoms I am finally feeling better today.  Haven't run into the KILL ALL THINGS feelings yet but there will be plenty of opportunity for that at work tonight. Been craving fruit in the afternoon. Gotta slay that sugar dragon. 

I would also love some guidance/suggestions concerning my snack/4th meal since I work at night. I'm a bartender, so I'm on my feet (walking around) for a solid 10 hours, running up and down stairs and carrying heavy things throughout the course of a shift. I start work at 5, get a break for dinner around 7 or 7:30 and then often don't have a chance to eat again until the shift is over at 2am. I am usually STARVING by this point since I've been running around for the past 6 hours but don't want to eat a big meal since I'm about to head to bed in an hour (and also since its an extra meal anyway). Any suggestions for good snack options to satisfy that end-of-shift exhaustion? I can't eat a huge dinner (though the extra protein and fat in this program has helped) because I have to get right back on the floor and can't afford to be sluggish and lethargic after a large meal. 

(Also it is VERY difficult to be around alcohol so much while I'm abstaining this month. That is my biggest challenge so far.)

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs, 1/2 cup coconut meat (I know this is not a great breakfast, where are the vegetables? It was the product of poor planning on my part. Making sure to have veggies ready to go for the weekend.)

Lunch: lean pork cutlet, cauliflower 'rice': cauliflower, spinach, scallions, cilantro, basil

Dinner: steak over arugula salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, carrot and avocado (olive oil and lemon dressing). Handful kalamata olives. 

Snack: orange, more steak

If you can make a batch of egg muffins they are great as a grab and go meal.  Also cut up chicken breast/thigh, mayo, and some cubed cooked sweet potatoes is like a go to meal for me.  These are pretty much always hanging out in my fridge.  They are standard items for me during my weekly cook up. 

Really tired today (I work long hours on the weekends), but so grateful to be eating clean. I did have a not-great snack of a banana w almond butter and almonds today. Thinking I might need to cut out nuts (unless part of a recipe maybe?) because I tend to overeat them and crave them like I used to crave sugar.

Breakfast: cauliflower rice with spinach and pork

Snack: banana w almond butter and almonds

Lunch: Arugula salad w mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, steak, 2 carrots

Dinner: more cauliflower rice with pork, orange

Alcohol is the hardest for me. I am really seeing how much I relied on it to get me through the last few hours of my shifts at the bar. But if I can make it through this weekend without drinking I feel like I can do anything. I did it last night, here's to another night sober and with clean food.

Alcohol has been hard for me too, lots of friends in bands, friends that are bartenders, friends at the bar...... you can do this! I feel so much better not drinking, who knew! Well everyone that doesn't drink apparently. Keep up the good work!

***DAY 6***

Thanks for the support Kelsimae! I do feel good not drinking. But it is a big adjustment to my social life not to drink with my friends. 

Breakfast: cauliflower rice with pork and spinach, 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp coconut butter, 1 tsp almond butter

Lunch: pork tenderloin w/roasted apples and onions, roasted eggplant

Dinner: crab cakes, roasted asparagus

(Still day 6)

Oh and also last night for my snack at work at the end of my shift, I ate a pretty large portion of prosciutto. Are cured meats ok? It was definitely high quality, locally sourced meat. I just wasn't quite sure how cured meats fit into the plan. They seem a little easy for me to overeat. I will come prepared with my own meat next time. 

(Still day 6)

Oh and also last night for my snack at work at the end of my shift, I ate a pretty large portion of prosciutto. Are cured meats ok? It was definitely high quality, locally sourced meat. I just wasn't quite sure how cured meats fit into the plan. They seem a little easy for me to overeat. I will come prepared with my own meat next time. 

Cured meats are ok, as long as they don't have any non-compliant ingredients. On these, watch out specifically for sugar or sweeteners, soy or carrageenan.

Portion sizes, they fit in the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein per meal. 

For a snack, the recommendation is a mini-meal containing a protein and fat.  So a bit of prosciutto and some avocado or olives would work nicely for a snack.

*** DAY 7 ***

I kind of can't believe I have made it one week, I am proud of myself! I really can't believe I made it through the weekend with no alcohol. I'm worried that sounds silly to some out there. But I guess that's just my experience. Working in a bar and being up late in a stressful, high intensity environment lead me to rely on sips of wine throughout the night and I am so grateful to have an opportunity and excuse to kick that habit and really unearth the stuff that's going on beneath that behavior. 

Things that are better:

- sugar cravings! I really don't have them much at all

- hunger between meals I stay full! The only time I have to add an extra meal is when I'm working long hours on my feet

- sustained energy, I don't have the buzz and crash that I did when eating smoothies and trail mix

- discovering foods I'm still addicted to and food behaviors I still need to change (see below)

Things to work on:

- I am going to try cutting out almond butter because I almost always over-eat it. I will have half a banana w almond butter and then eat a few more bites of almond butter with a spoon out of the jar. This is exactly the kind of habit I want to kick. And while its not like I'm bingeing on vegan cookies or coconut ice cream (used to do those things!), its not in line with the spirit of the program and is exactly the kind of behavior I want to change. 

- 4th meal at the end of my shift at work I still REALLY want to over-eat. I need to have a plan for this meal and really think of it as a 4th meal rather than just grabbing a handful of prosciutto. I'm not able to sit down and eat it, I sort of have to do it while continuing to close the bar which is a challenge. But I think if I make a plate with a compliant portion of meat, olives and an orange then I can at least have better boundaries around it. Like there is my 4th meal on that plate. That's it. 

- turning off electronics before bed. This is a hard habit to break but I its totally worth the effort for better sleep!

Breakfast:

3 homemade crab cakes (with homemade mayo!), celery, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 banana

Lunch:

2 poached eggs, roasted kale, coconut butter

Dinner:

steak, raw carrots and cauliflower, olives

Snack: steak, olives

I am proud of myself! I really can't believe I made it through the weekend with no alcohol. I'm worried that sounds silly to some out there. But I guess that's just my experience. 

Nope, nothing silly about it. You are doing great under difficult circumstances. Keep going!

Congrats making it through the first week! I just started today and I am also worried about the alcohol. It's my weekend fun, my stress reliever. I don't work at a bar but I do have two little ones. :) But happy to see that it can be done and I'm looking forward to being where you are a week from now!! Thanks for posting your progress!

Congratulations on a whole week completed! Sounds like you have done quite a bit of trouble shooting and it will get easier!

I work night shift and when I start a stretch, I often have a fourth meal (eaten around 5am). I found that a simple meal to pack is a baked sweet potato or sweet potato wedges with a spoonful of ghee melted on it, and some meat proscuitto, leftover chicken, deli sliced roast beef) is quick and easy. I can swallow it down in minutes and continue on my way.

Just a suggestion, if you are going to add the fruit, put it with a full meal - don't let it replace your veg in a meal. If you are having a snack (just protein and fat), the fruit is just going to inflame your sugar dragon......

Great job! I have made it through all the cravings to Day 22. The one thing I really want is a glass of wine! But even that is not a craving, more of a "Wow! Look at that sunset, sure would be nice to sit on the deck with a glass of wine." I have avoided some things on the weekends just to not be tempted. I think preparation has been the key. The egg muffin idea is a great one - pack a cooler for work with all the things you need to get you through. Extra lemon-water or something that will quench your thirst. Some people have even said they have a nice glass of lemon water in a big wine glass! Finding meat without the carageenan is hard - but I found Wellshire Roast Beef at the deli and prosciutto is compliant. Roll them in a piece of lettuce for a wrap. Congrats on Week 1!!

***DAY 7 cont ***

Kmlynne thank you for the suggestion I will def try the sweet potato snack. I'm nervous about adding too much carb, but I guess if I'm on my feet all night then I can afford it. I really would like to lose a little weight over the course of these 30 days and so far after the first week I'm feeling pretty bloated and heavy. Also thank you for the reminder not to substitute fruit for a vegetable. Slaying the sugar dragon is one of my main goals so I need all the tips I can get!

Mybeachhouse I love the lemon water in a wine glass idea! Yeah I am the same about craving wine while I'm enjoying a beautiful night or taking in some gorgeous sight. This program has shown me how much I associate pleasurable experiences with alcohol, and how much I think that alcohol will enhance the experience. But I'm learning that this isn't true. Its just as easy to experience a lovely sunset without alcohol. 

Also wanted to turn over my dinner tonight because it was different than I reported this morning. I worked an event and ended up eating there because the food was compliant:

Dinner:

crab claw with peppers and lettuce, tuna tartar with avocado, roasted lamb shoulder

*** DAY 8 ***

I have to come clean about my sleep. I use ambien to go to sleep most nights of the week. I have cut down so that I'm not cutting the pills into 3/rds but I still take 1/3 of a pill almost every night unless I'm up very late from work. I feel like this is cheating. Any suggestions for how to wean myself off? I'm scared to go cold turkey that I'll have terrible insomnia for a week or something. 

Also, how long does it take before I start seeing weightloss? I'm a week in and my pants are tighter than usual which has me worried. I'm committed to doing this for 30 days but I am scared that I will have gained weight by the end. 

Breakfast:

1/2 grapefruit, roasted asparagus and mushrooms, 2 eggs, coconut butter

Lunch: 

pork tenderloin, carrots, cauliflower, olives

Dinner:

chicken breast, arugula salad w mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado, olives, 1 orange

Snack: prosciutto, olives

*** DAY 8 ***

I have to come clean about my sleep. I use ambien to go to sleep most nights of the week. I have cut down so that I'm not cutting the pills into 3/rds but I still take 1/3 of a pill almost every night unless I'm up very late from work. I feel like this is cheating. Any suggestions for how to wean myself off? I'm scared to go cold turkey that I'll have terrible insomnia for a week or something. 

Also, how long does it take before I start seeing weightloss? I'm a week in and my pants are tighter than usual which has me worried. I'm committed to doing this for 30 days but I am scared that I will have gained weight by the end. 

Breakfast:

1/2 grapefruit, roasted asparagus and mushrooms, 2 eggs, coconut butter

Lunch: 

pork tenderloin, carrots, cauliflower, olives

Dinner:

chicken breast, arugula salad w mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado, olives, 1 orange

Snack: prosciutto, olives

On the Ambien, your best bet is to consult with your doctor about what protocol will work best for getting you completely off, and what kinds of reactions to expect from your body.

On when you'll see results, it varies, some sooner, some later, some longer than 30 days.  Two articles I recommend you read:

- Whole30 tough love http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

- Whole30 timeline http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Note especially on the timeline that on days 8-9, many Whole30'ers experience tighter fitting pants - sounds like you're right on schedule. Hang in there!

***DAY 8 update ***

I'm at work in the middle of an 8 hour bartending shift and I am thrilled at how evenly my energy has kept me going so far. I started to get a little tired and realize, oh yeah its dinner time and I haven't eaten yet! But it was just like a normal hunger and tiredness from being hungry, not the usual feet-dragging-hit-by-a-bus-bone-dead-tired that I usually feel while working on my feet for hours at a time. Now I'm sitting down to a healthy Whole30 meal of salad w avocado, tomatoes and mushrooms and a slice of beef/venison/elk meatloaf (compliant). I feel GREAT. Finally noticing a difference in energy levels and being fat-adapted as a bartender is WORKING for me let me tell you. Woo!

*** DAY 9 ***

You guys I am finally starting to feel awesome. I had so much energy throughout my entire 8 hour shift last night. I was not hyper and buzzy like when I over-dose on caffeine, I just had a steady flow the whole night. If this is the only thing I get out of my Whole30 experience it will be enough. 

Gonna start posting exercise and sleep too because I'm realizing how much that plays a role in all this. I think I have def been overexercising. 

Breakfast:

2 homemade crab cakes, roasted asparagus, 5 macadamia nuts, coconut butter

Lunch: roasted kale w coconut oil, 3 fried eggs, olives

Dinner: rib-eye steak w sauteed ramps, steamed broccoli

Do you think its enough fat in my dinner if I just eat the rib eye steak? This is a very fatty, marbled cut of beef (it is locally sourced, grass fed and organic which is awesome), so if I just eat the animal fat on the steak is that enough? The ramps are also sauteed in olive oil so there is cooking fat there. Let me know what you think. 

Exercise:

(I'll give a little background on the week so you guys can help)

Monday: 1 hour barre class at Physique 57- these are high intensity interval-based classes that use weights, cardio and body weight to sculpt your muscles, all no impact its awesome

Tuesday: off, but then I worked at 9 hour shift - which I do not count as exercise but I do take into account when thinking about my activity levels, cortisol balace

Wednesday: maybe 30 minutes of barre/calisthenics at home? To get my heart rate up a little but also let my muscles recover from working last night? I'm off tonight and tomorrow so I'll have plenty of time to recover before the big 1-2 punch of closing shifts on both Friday and Saturday nights. Let me know what you think. 

Sleep:

Got home from work at 3am, took 1/3 an ambien at 3:30am, slept until my alarm went off at 10:30. Tried to go back to sleep for a little bit longer but couldn't so I just got up. Feeling pretty great.

Its happening I'm finally starting to feel awesome. Slept last night with no drugs! Amazing! Woke up with lots of energy and my body feeling great. I think taking two days off from exercising was the right move. 

*** DAY 10 ***

Breakfast: 

3 homemade crab cakes, roasted eggplant

Lunch: 

2 pork meatballs (compliant), 1 baked chick strip (coated w egg and almond for crunch), roasted kale and mushrooms. 

Dinner:

meatloaf (compliant), sauteed zucchini 

Exercise: 1 hour barre class

Sleep: slept from 1am until 10am with no Ambien! Did wake up with an alarm though. 

I've heard Day10 is the day people are most likely to quit their Whole30, so I might be writing on here a lot today for support!!

Could not sleep last night. Took 1/2 an Ambien :( but its ok I feel pretty good today. 

Breakfast:

1/2 grapefruit, sauteed zucchini, vegetable quiche (no crust), homemade mayo

Lunch:

crab cakes, quiche, carrots, olives

Dinner:

arugula salad w tomatoes and mushrooms, steak, 1/2 avocado

Snack:

orange, carrots, prosciutto cotto, olives

Archived