Tofu and Calcium Sulfate

Cathlana

Quick question, I have another friend doing the vegetarian whole30 (with including some fish), and all the extra firm organic tofu she finds has calcium sulfate in it. I searched through the forums on here and found that adding a little fish to her vegetarian shopping list was okay (from this thread http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10167-pescatrian-concerned-about-the-diet/?hl=tofu#entry114310

I however, did not find any info on calcium sulfate. My instinct says no, but looking up the coagulant, I wonder if it could be okay, like gaur gum is?

Thanks! 

Quick question, I have another friend doing the vegetarian whole30 (with including some fish), and all the extra firm organic tofu she finds has calcium sulfate in it. I searched through the forums on here and found that adding a little fish to her vegetarian shopping list was okay (from this thread http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10167-pescatrian-concerned-about-the-diet/?hl=tofu#entry114310

I however, did not find any info on calcium sulfate. My instinct says no, but looking up the coagulant, I wonder if it could be okay, like gaur gum is?

Thanks! 

Actually, the recommendation is to not combine Whole30 programs. Either follow the vegetarian program with no fish, or the omnivore program with no soy, legumes, etc.

I don't have info on calcium sulfate, so hoping another poster will.

• Moderators

The calcium sulfate is an acceptable additive.

A further word about eating fish and the vegetarian protocol Whole30...

We don't want people who eat some animal protein doing a vegetarian Whole30 so they can keep eating foods (yogurt, beans, lentils) the basic Whole30 protocol excludes. We recognize that move and offer a firm warning to stop it because combining protocols is a good way to ruin results. However, people who are committed to avoiding animal protein, but who will eat fish can include fish with their otherwise vegetarian protocol Whole30 because it will help them. 

We don't want people who eat some animal protein doing a vegetarian Whole30 so they can keep eating foods (yogurt, beans, lentils) the basic Whole30 protocol excludes. We recognize that move and offer a firm warning to stop it because combining protocols is a good way to ruin results. However, people who are committed to avoiding animal protein, but who will eat fish can include fish with their otherwise vegetarian protocol Whole30 because it will help them. 

Thank you very much. I will pass this along to her. Very much appriciate it. Her point to me was she didn't understand the harm that adding fish to her otherwise veg-only diet, esp if she was avoiding all the other things (breads, cheese, sugar, grains, non-compliant tofu) and following the vegetarian whole30

• 4 months later...

So if one is vegetarian (and eats occasional fish) this is ok? I am trying to do the same exact thing...

Archived