so annoyed with myself :(

Yesterday was day 29 on my 2nd whole 30 and was going really well. I went to an awards ceremony and the hotel had heard that I was coeliac. They proudly came up to me with canapes that they had specifically put together for me. I didn't want to refuse as they had gone through the effort of putting them together for me, and I tried to subtly give them to people around me but no one was interested. So I ate them :( 

I then thought 'whats the point' and ate the chocolates at the table too, then came home and ate some more non-compliant stuff.

Feeling quite defeated and annoyed with myself. I really need to learn to navigate social situations better and not completely pack it all in when there's one slip up :(

• Moderators

Saying thank you sincerely for someone's effort and then ignoring the food is a challenge. Maybe with a little practice, you will get the hang of it, but you are pushing against strong cultural programming to do so. I think it is worth the effort, but it is no small thing. 

What Tom says.

But also - maybe even more importantly - don't forget that nobody and nothing can take away what you have achieved! I don't believe 30 is a magic number that decides your worth or even your health. It's what you make of the (majority of) the rest of the time of your life. Don't beat yourself up about this. Rather try to get rid of that evil "What The Heck" mentality (believe me, I know about that one! ;)). You can make a choice to be good to yourself and your body not every day but every second, every moment. It is completely in your power to decide with each bite.

You might also want to consider if superstrict programs/rules are what your mind works best with (correct me if I'm wrong but I feel that the Whole30 is a tool not the ultimate goal). I think for some people that leads to more problems and subconscious resistance - and ultimately into "What The Heck" and/or binges. Because tomorrow is superstrict again, right? So you need to stuff your face with All The Crap as fast as possible before the day is over, right? In that case I guess a more general (longterm) approach of "I make the best choices that I can at any given time" / one-decision-at-a-time might work better. Only you can find out for yourself.

(And if you decide you truly want that canape or chocolate right now because it's special and worth it - at least savor and enjoy it instead of hating yourself for it!)

Don't attempt to be perfect. Attempt to be happy.

Lotsa internet love <3

Archived