Auto-immune Whole 30 nearly completed, but how long to continue?

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to the end of my first whole 30 (currently day 24) I'm doing the auto-immune version, so I have cut eggs, nuts, and all nightshades as suggested.  But reading online it suggests that the auto-immune should be done for 6-90 days, so should I just keep going until 90 days? or is there anything I could re-introduce to make things a bit easier?

As a family we won't be going back on dairy and will still not eat potatoes etc, but nuts are handy for snacking and eggs go into most things!! along with almond flour..

I am not an expert. My questions would be Do you notice any difference? Are you feeling great and ready to start the reintro phase? If not you may want to continue for 60 days. Congratulations on making it 30 days without eggs. I only did it for 8 days.

If you choose to intro eggs I would make sure I got pastured eggs that are not fed soy, corn, etc. You might want to try eggs yolk first, I understand people react to the yolks less than the whites. Check out the paleo mom for more info about AIP. Good luck!

• Moderators

If you don't know already that you are sensitive to eggs, you might try reintroducing them now. And as Tina noted, many people are less sensitive to yolks than whites. You could make mayonnaise with egg yolks only and see how it goes. If that goes well, you might make it with whole eggs and see how that goes. I use mayonnaise frequently to make salmon, tuna, and chicken salad. 

The Paleo Approach suggests that you follow AIP until you see considerable improvement in your autoimmune disease. You can reintroduce egg yolks earlier though because they are so nutritious and have a very low chance of sensitivity. 

As everyone said, I'd also try to reintro egg yolks. Mostly bc I love mayo and having that as an option makes AIP doable for a longer stretch. I use Paleo Mom's recipe with coconut oil.

I personally wouldn't even try egg whites right away. They are a very common allergen/inflammatory agent. When I eat them or anything containing whole eggs I immediately get tiny itchy hives. If it was going to reintro something else I'd pick seed spices because many people can tolerate them and, more so than the mayo, they will open up a world of food options while you stay otherwise AIP.

And as Vian said, Paleo Mom says to stay on AIP till see you a reduction in symptoms. I've been on (with some bumps) AIP since April 1 and I'm just starting to see a significant reduction in my psoriasis. I don't know what your auto-immune issue is, but once you start seeing some progress you might not even want to mess with it!

So go slow.

I think a reasonable way to approach it is to stay AIP at home but not worry a ton about seed oils or carrageenan, etc., when you eat out. That said, I wouldn't casually eat nightshades bc they tend to be the most inflammatory (and of course wheat/gluten).

I haven't added back nuts and honestly I don't miss them nearly as much as seed spices. I have never been like, "wow, I really wish I could eat some phytic acid rich almond flour right now." ;)

Thanks everyone for the above comments.  Symptoms are still present.  mainly muscle pain in the morning and trouble getting a full nights sleep.  Diagnosied with fibromyalgia..

Think I will just keep at it, although it's hard without eggs and nut as we make treats for the kids using eggs and almond flour.. pancakes etc.. easy things..

The other thing is I'm always hungry.. I have been snacking, mostly on carrots etc.. but I am eating enough at my meal.. this morning was a tuna salad, so 1/2 tin of tuna steak (protein), 1/2 an avocado (good fats) olives (good fats) and lettuce, cucumber, celery, spring onions (veg).. should that see me through to lunch?

I have been loosing weight doing this (although haven't been trying) and am now dow to 135lbs and I'm a 5ft 9in male who is 36..

Any more tips or advice?

If your symptoms are still present and the recommendation is 60-90 days, I'd keep going.  Think of it this way - easier to go 30-60 more days to find out for sure if it helps than to have to start over later and do 90 more days. 

1/2 tin of tuna isn't enough (unless it's a huge tin, I guess).  I eat a whole tin and I'm a female.  I'd think you'd need more.  I also sometimes eat a whole avocado if I'm having a hungry day.  I'd eat more of what you are already eating.  If that meal doesn't hold you to lunch, tomorrow try the whole tin or the whole avocado.

Good luck!

Ditto what Jen said. Don't eat the pancakes. I make tons of stuff for my kids that I don't eat. I'm no superhero or anything but like Jen said if rather stay off for 30 days that start over again down the road.

When I eat fish for breakfast I generally eat an entire can and I'm not a 5'9" male.

Archived