A question regarding bone broth

Hi everyone! I was hoping you could help me out once again :).

So here's my question: Is chicken soup a type of bone broth?

I'm asking because to make bone broth you use the bones of whatever animal you want, and in making chicken soup I use the whole chicken (bone, skin and cartilage included). So, isn't the liquid part of the soup essentially bone broth as well? I always get that jello like consistency after it's been in the fridge for a while.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Yes, kind of. 

I pressure cook a whole chicken and make several quarts of chicken broth each time. I usually make soup with it. I included cauliflower, carrots, kohlrabi, turnips, and beets in the soup that I made with the broth from my last chicken. It is good and valuable, but I don't think chicken bones produce the same mineral dense broth that beef and lamb bones do. 

I save all the bones that come through my house in a one gallon bag in my freezer - beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, whatever. I make bone broth when a bag is full. 

I don't know of any research that distinguishes between the broth made of chicken bones and that made from other bones, but I think the broth I make from mostly beef and lamb bones is better than the broth I make from cooking a chicken. 

That soup sounds lovely! Mine is a lot simpler, just some onion, carrot, cabbage and eggs (I love to mix the yolk with the soup :)). I used to include rice or some sort of smaIl pasta but for obvious reasons I can't now and I have to say I don't miss it one bit!

It is unfortunate, though, that the chicken's bits and pieces are less valuable than those of beef or lamb. I've actually never had lamb in my life and all the beef we have already comes pretty clean from the butcher's. I'll have to sort something out.

Oh and since you didn't mention it, I'm guessing pork is as rich as beef and lamb?

• Moderators

Pork probably isn't as good as beef or lamb. The nutritional value of beef and lamb is higher than other meats, which is one reason I rate the bones as better for broth, come to think of it. :) Pork and chicken rank lower, so I bet the bones offer less too. 

Here is the basic soup recipe I work from nowadays: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/11/pressure-cooker-golden-cauliflower-soup/

I adapted it from Well Fed 2/Melissa Joulwan.

I'll have to go looking for some beef bones, then!  :D

And I'm definitely giving that soup a try when I can find a can of coconut milk with no sulfites. All of the cans in my major supermarket say "may contain sulfites", so I decided not to risk it.

Thanks for your help! :)

I've made turkey broth in my pressure cooker, and while it didn't come out quite like jello, like beef broth can, it did come out with plenty of gelatin like ripples throughout. I just added a bit of cider vinegar to the bones when I was making the broth to help extract the extra nutrients. Other than that, it was just carrots, onion, celery, and parsley I think.

Plus, the finer you make the ingredients, the more nutrients are extracted into the broth. So I usually blend all the ingredients (except the bones) fairly fine for the added nutrient boost.

Archived