Whey Protein Powder usage and more

switty

Hello Everyone,

I just finished reading the book and will be starting my Whole30 - vegetarian program soon. I want to incorporate a variety of protiens apart from Eggs. A few questions for a vegetarian version of this diet (like many others here - eating meat/fish is not an option for me).

1. I know whey protien pwd is allowed (though not the best option). Since juicing fruits and veggies is not considered a good idea, how do you use this protien pwd? Any ideas?

2. Has anyone successfully used "Properly Prepared Legumes" (yet another Not-the-best-but-good option)?

3. Between Yogurt and Properly-Prepared-Legumes - which is better? Or lesser of the two evils?

Thank you and wish me luck!

• Moderators

I'm wondering about Almased protein powder?

It's fermented soy, from Germany...is this powder allowed?

We prefer that you get your protein from real, whole foods and not a powder. Protein powder is a concession made because getting adequate protein on a vegetarian diet is challenging. Fermented soy protein powder would be acceptable for vegetarians, but it would be better if you consumed tempeh, natto, edamame, or tofu. 

We prefer that you get your protein from real, whole foods and not a powder. Protein powder is a concession made because getting adequate protein on a vegetarian diet is challenging. Fermented soy protein powder would be acceptable for vegetarians, but it would be better if you consumed tempeh, natto, edamame, or tofu. 

Okay, I will comply.   I would only use in a pinch if I was driving for a long stretch with no stops.

Set aside that powder is inferior to real food (as Tom says), there's also some "more natural" choices, like hemp or pumpkin (no other ingredients). Over here I can find those in whole food stores. At least they don't contain any of that artificial crap that usually gets thrown into protein powders.

Almased, as far as I can see online, does also contain honey = sweetened = not Whole30. 

• 3 months later...

I do a ton of stuff with "properly prepared" legumes, I think.  (Is the recipe still, "soak for 24 hours, boil for 20 minutes, simmer until done?" That's how I learned from Melissa a couple of years ago.)  Frankly it works great with any legume dish.  For example, I recently made a white-bean and kale soup this way.  DEEEEE-lish! 

More tips on cooking from dried: do not add tomatoes, lemon juice, vinegar or any other acidic ingredient until the beans are fully cooked.  Acidity prevents the tough outer part of a dried bean from cooking.  The converse is also true: if you are working from old beans that seem like they NEVER want to cook, try adding a tiiiiiiiiny pinch of baking soda to the cooking water.  Presto, instant alkalinity, those tough skins will soften.  ;)

Finally, use MORE salt in the recipe than you otherwise might; the canned beans have a lot of salt to start with, and your dried ones don't.

Other great recipe ideas:

*kidney bean chili

*black bean soup

*black bean/sweet potato patties:  cook the black beans per instructions, then mash most of them then mix 'em all with shredded sweet potato, plus an egg, and whatever spices you like.  (For me, that's a mix of sauteed minced onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, and dried cumin, plus salt and a squeeze of lime.)  Form into patties and bake.  Yummy!

Archived