Teaching a 5yo

little_muffin

Up to now, my husband & I have always made the food choices for our nearly 5yo & she has pouted about it and dug her heels in but she has had no choice.  When she turns 5 I hope to be able to back off a little & let her make choices and learn from her experiences, especially when out; the way her body reacts to things etc.  I know initially she will go bread, bread, bread and bread & I am expecting it to be tough on both her and us with the tears etc.  What I don't know is how to do thios constructively.  How do I encourage her to make the right choices but not get cross as and when she doesn't?  How do I then help her to link the reaction of her body with what she has eaten?

My kids have been paleo since September.  Now when they beg to go to McDonalds and I let them eat crap, within an hour or so my daughter is groaning, vowing to never go again!  I don't even have to say a word.  We call it our "healthy diet".

• 4 weeks later...

My kids have been paleo since September.  Now when they beg to go to McDonalds and I let them eat crap, within an hour or so my daughter is groaning, vowing to never go again!  I don't even have to say a word.  We call it our "healthy diet".

I like this! The idea of calling it a "healthy diet" instead of whatever makes kids aware of what they are putting into their bodies.

• 2 weeks later...

We talk about food all the time (I have two five year olds and a six year old). At dinner time we regularly discuss whether butter is healthy (!), why doughnuts are bad for you, what kinds of protein are the best (eggs are better than cheese; ground beef is also good etc etc)).

We also talk about poo a lot (though not at the table LOL). My kids periodically suffer from constipation, and we talk about why that happens and that they have to think about what they eat (and drink) because it impacts on how they feel etc. The kind of thing we never talked about when we were growing up, but I want to help my kids make the connection between what they eat and how they feel.

You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Same with my kids. I can give them food, but not make them eat it; and likewise they are going to be presented with all kinds of food I don't approve of and the best I can do is equip them with as much information as I can to help educate them make good decisions about food. My kids are the only kids I know who will stop after a couple of pieces of chocolate and say they have had enough; or ask to save some cake for later because they can't eat it all now (whilst other kids are just stuffing their faces.) We eat lots of unprocessed food at home, we talk about healthy choices all the time (including how fat is good for you, and you want a strong healthy body made up of muscle, bone and fat) and that is as much as I can do. Ultimately what they eat is up to them; my job is to provide them with lots of healthy food for them to eat and the information they need to help them make choices when other people are providing food.

I'll be honest with you: I don't let my 5-year-old "choose" her own food. I am of the camp of "This is what's for dinner, and you eat it or go hungry until the next meal/snack." As much as we'd love for kids to make wise decisions, they are kids. I personally think that for young kids, it's best to guide and educate so that they can make wise choices when they're older and developmentally better able to understand delayed gratification and intangible benefits. In the meantime, they eat what I buy and what I serve. Period.

My kids will also stop halfway through a cupcake or cookie when they've had enough. And I don't think it's because of anything I've ever said, although we have talks about nourishment and nutrition a lot, too. I'm not sure why they do that, except maybe it's because I do allow treats on occasion. I don't believe in 100% restriction for young kids, as I think it can lead to disordered eating patterns.

• 3 months later...

Archived