Greek Food

soneill

Today is day 7 for me. For some reason I had a craving for Greek food. I love Greek salad with cucumber and olives --- and red wine vinegar...I'd have to skip the feta obviously. But my question is around gyro meat. If the restaurant doesn't use sugar or fillers in their meat - only spices and different meats would it be allowed? I know may not be the "best" meat option out there but do you think it would be ok for a one time meal?

• Moderators

I hear that gyro meat is often made with wheat, which would make it not only bad, but grounds for starting over again. One of my friends has Celiac disease and tells me she has found Greek restaurants challenging because sometimes they have told her their gyro was not made with wheat, but then she would have a reaction that told her she had been exposed to gluten. 

Thanks for the input. I know many Greek places don't even make their meat in-house and as a result it has lots of fillers (i.e. wheat) but I know others actually make their meat so I wasn't sure. I will just steer clear - I don't want to mess up now.

I am looking for some dining out options and was considering Greek as well. Would a Greek salad with grilled chicken be compliant (as long as the chicken is grilled with no or a compliant oil)? I was also reading some of the posts on red wine vinegar. How do you navigate the sulfite issue when dining out? I am concerned that asking the server or even calling the restaurant ahead of time could be unreliable because the labels are confusing on this. How can you differentiate between naturally occurring sulfites and added sulfites? 

I am looking for some dining out options and was considering Greek as well. Would a Greek salad with grilled chicken be compliant (as long as the chicken is grilled with no or a compliant oil)? I was also reading some of the posts on red wine vinegar. How do you navigate the sulfite issue when dining out? I am concerned that asking the server or even calling the restaurant ahead of time could be unreliable because the labels are confusing on this. How can you differentiate between naturally occurring sulfites and added sulfites? 

For me personally, I would just avoid a restaurant's vinegar, as the sulfite issue is too tricky to suss out in that situation. Bring your own compliant dressing in a container like this. http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/shop/kitchen/cooks-tools/prep/600456.html

On grilled chicken in restaurants, you need to check what oil it's cooked in, and whether any seasonings/marinades are compliant (Panera's chicken, for example, is not compliant, as their chicken's seasoning includes sugar). 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived