A confession..and a lesson learnt

Guest WholeStanley

Guest WholeStanley

I ate two reese's peanut butter cups today.

The background: I finished my first Whole30 6 days ago, stayed compliant except for fries at dinner on day 31 and 32 and then started my second Whole30 on day 33 but have been a bit more lax - e.g. had a fruit salad for dessert one day and grazed on food all afternoon at a family bbq yesterday - all compliant food (tomatoes, grapes, pine nuts, blueberries) but still not sticking to the template. 

The justification: Peanut butter is one of my all time food stuffs, I could live on it alone, and peanut butter cups are my absolute favourite. But I live in the UK and we don't have them here so I never eat them, expect one of my colleagues has just come back from Miami and brought a bag back with her and offered me two. My thoughts - I love these, I'm not completely sticking to the Whole30 anyway and can start again tomorrow anyway, I never get the chnace to eat these, I have to ride my own bike anyway, what's the harm?? And so I took two..

The lessons learnt: Was it yummy and what I expected? Yes. I know people say they often find their favourite thing too sweet after a Whole30 but that wasn't the case here, but was it as delicious as my home made guacamole? NO FRICKING WAY (this recipe is amaaaazing, but I leave out the red onion as I follow low FODMAP http://blogs.babycenter.com/life_and_home/four-seasons-secret-guacamole-ole/) Nor was it as tasty as my sweet potato and kale hash, or turkey and olive burgers or even tomato, ginger, chili and garlic grilled salmon.

O and the after effects were waaaay less fun - I had an immediate headache, felt fidgety and strange, couldn't focus and was uncomfortably 'wired' for about 20 minutes. Really not fun, but I feel an experience I had to have to reinforce why I wanted to embrace Whole living in the first place.

And the whole time I felt uncomfortable was I craving another peanut butter cup? Nope, I was craving a lie down and the beef skirt currently marinating in my fridge and the chili roasted cauliflower I'm going to have with it!

Anyway I just had to get that off my chest, thanks for listening!

• Moderators

I like to think of these kinds of "mistakes" as crucial to the w30 process and learning as mastering the template. So instructive and helpful in moving forward. Good for you!

Archived