New start - June 16th

MKR

My meals so far have been sweet potato hash with eggs and sausage for M1.

M2s have been my leftovers from previous day's M3, with the exception of day 1, when I took tuna, carrot sticks, and leftover sweet potato hash from breakfast.

Day 2 M3 was buffalo chicken (cut up chicken breasts then slathered them with hot sauce and ghee then sauteed -- would have been better baked, I think) in lettuce wraps topped with avocado and cucumber, carrot sticks, and leftover broccoli slaw.

Last night I made the broccoli salad from WF2 (modified - I didn't have bacon, and I didn't have pecans, so I subbed sunflower seeds) and modified the WF2 Thai green curry burger recipe (left out basil and ginger because I didn't have them).

Tonight I'm making chicken fajita salad -- bell peppers and onions sauteed with chicken tenders on top of lettuce, topped with guac and salsa -- with fried plantains.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I a travel sized mouthwash in my purse... I was never big on gum because I have TMJ but if my mouth is fresh I am less likely to dive into the snacks that seem to always be around at work. 

This is my 2nd W30 and that seemed to work my first time around.  Dinner tonight was burger on a bed of spinach.  I tried to make a curry sauce but it was eh... so I scrapped it.

Tomorrow I am attempting Chicken Tika Masala W30 style (coconut milk and cream instead of yogurt and heavy cream). Hopefully it is not a disaster because I am craving Indian food (can you tell)?

So far in terms of food:

crock pot whole chicken with "gravy" (nom nom paleo website - really good!) 

Balsalmic and oil dressing with garlic 

sweet potato hash

"sloppy" joe variation (which I added to sweet potato and egg for a breakfast skillet leftover)

roasted: asparagus, acorn squash

cauliflower "mashed" potatoes.

I'm trying to have fun and do things outside my comfort zone to keep it interesting. But as I wasn't a huge chef previously it's not that hard so far. ;) I pick something up at the store and then internet search "blank" whole30 recipe or adapt a paleo one and more often than not I find one. :) I've tried to do some options that transition well as a leftover to make breakfast or lunch a little less stressful. Here's hoping I'm this excited about cooking after the first few days...

Sehbart, the sloppy joe sounds good...especially the leftovers of it for breakfast.

Last night I ended up not doing fajitas, but egg foo yong (ish) from Well Fed. I failed at making pancake-shaped patties, so I ended up doing a stir fry. I also just realized I forgot to bring the sauce for the leftovers in my lunch. Head, meet desk. Oh well. Will still be delicious.

Have a great Day 5, everyone! :D

Went to a girl's night last night and stayed away from the big table of food except for some fresh chilled shrimp. No liquor.

My pants seem happier today - definitely less bloat!

Leftover grassfed grilled burgers for lunch topped with avocado. Fresh garden greens salad with V&O. And a few strawberries.

Need to figure out dinner still.

So, it's Day 5. Been relatively easy. I kind of feel like I'm eating more than I usually do. I haven't noticed any dramatic shifts in my energy or anything like that, and I don't feel like I've lost weight. The one thing I have noticed is that I'm not hungry between meals, which is HUGE for me. I am a big snacker and I always feel hungry shortly after eating, but now I don't.

I'm guessing all of this is because I'm eating way more protein than I normally do.

It's likely you *are* eating more than usual. Or, depending on how you ate before, more nutrient-dense, satisfying food. 

When I've done W30s before, I didn't notice a shift in energy till week 2 or 3. My energy level stayed steady all day till it was time to go to bed. And don't worry about weight -- watch the mirror, watch your clothes. The changes may be pretty gradual -- you may not realize till Day 25 that your pants are falling off. ;)

Chicken tika masala simmering on the stove now... smells delicious... definitely a tired day. Today was the last day of school so you can bet there were all kinds of goodies floating around but I didn't have any... didn't even want to.  I love when my whole body gets in the game. 

It's still early to see the weight loss and energy... last time that happened for me about week 2 (pretty much at the same time)... anyone else get acne?  I usually am pimple free but today I have 2 pimples! I am assuming its part of the "detox" of my body expelling that bad foods and celebrating the good stuff.

Day 5 for me too. So far, I think I'm doing... OK. No headaches or nausea, or strange moods (although I think I feel more 'peaceful' than usual) but it's been a struggle these past couple days to eat enough. I've just kinda lost my appetite. I'm making myself eat 3 meals daily but I'm not convinced I'm getting enough food. So hard to eat when the last thing you want to do is eat.

I'm also very, very used to eating meat or eggs with bread, rice, white potatoes, pasta, couscous, etc. (I know, I know...). I'm still getting used to eggs or meat on my plate without one of those, can't say I'm loving it yet.

I did discover Kombucha though!! Happy about that.

Anyone else struggling with their appetite?

@BayouLife Overall my appetite has been good but I've had a few meals where I just kind of get tired of the food part way through eating the vegetables and don't finish them. It's definitely easier to finish off french fries or pasta! Are you putting a lot of veggies on your plate with the meat? I find that if I have 2 or even 3 different vegetables on my plate with the protein, I don't miss the bread, rice, potatoes, etc. I am struggling a little bit with breakfast and adding vegetables.

Had a good day of cravings but overcoming them and not caving. I went to Japanese food for lunch and in the past, I would have just given up on paleo to be able to eat the rice, etc. Today I did okay. I didn't eat any rice though I think the meat I ordered had some soy on it. Still, it's better than pounding a plate of maki which is what I wanted to do! I know the cravings will only get worse but baby steps and today was a success.

My tummy seems to be flatter today - yeah.

Hi everyone! I'm Abby, and I "restarted" June 16, as I had hibachi (and though I said I didn't want the sauces and stuff the server just loaded them on because I wasn't eating the "healthy" rice) I'm thinking of it as a whole 45 instead. I prepped some food for my busy work weekend (doing a 12 hour shift today). I had a frittata for breakfast and some grilled chicken, sweet potato and zucchini/summer squash for lunch (eating the same thing tomorrow). I feel pretty good. A little bloated today

@icdelt mentioned Applegate Farms hot dogs. That sounds yummy to me, but are they allowed? They are processed. If they are, I'm going to get some!

Applegate Farms hot dogs are allowed.  Double-check the ingredients just in case, but per the website, these are the ingredients and all are compliant: Ingredients: Beef and Pork, Water. Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Paprika, Spices, Garlic, Onion, Celery Powder, Lamb Casing.

Spices: Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Coriander, Mace, Ginger

I had applegate hotdogs on Saturday and I'm pretty sure they are compliant (I read the ingredient list and didn't see anything non-compliant). They were suprisingly yummy (I like hotdogs!)

So I found pastured eggs today at Whole Foods. I appreciated the book explaining the difference between the different terms for animals and eggs. The only problem is I couldn't pay the almost $8 they were charging for 1 dozen. I just stuck with the organic - I like the downloadable sheet that says "good, better, best" for the different types of meat. That was really helpful.

Had a succesful weekend of making it through two out-to-eat wiht friends and a picnic (it was a busy weekend). Feeling strong in saying no to offers of food!

How did everyone else do?

I did all right this weekend. I was exhausted Saturday morning, but went hiking anyway with a friend. Had a picnic lunch that I cooked so I knew everything was compliant, and then lazed around a little. Once I got home, I had a 2 hour nap.  :blink: And I still went to bed an hour earlier than usual and slept all night like a rock. Sunday, tired and groggy again, tried to go back to sleep but the cats ran me out of bed for breakfast...which they only do on the weekends, and never on Monday morning. Spent the afternoon with a friend, then back home to cook a chicken I'd found on sale. I also browned some ground turkey I found on sale to throw in my sweet potato hash for breakfasts. Ready for week 2. :)

Weekend went really well - and there were some real tests. Sat on the deck Friday night with my neighbors. They all indulged in some end of week beverages. I sipped my sparkling water and enjoyed the convo. 

My immediate family participated in Relay for Life Sat night - I made sure to have a good, filling dinner before we left so I wasn't tempted by kettle corn, pulled pork nachos, and the rest of the junk that would have made me feel like garbage.

Sunday was a road trip for a large photo session with extended family - followed by a big group dinner an Italian steakhouse. OH. The garlic bread, and toasted ravioli, and breaded calamari. I really wasn't even that interested. I had a large salad with V&O. Then enjoyed my dinner of sea bass and veggies. But my portion was so small. So I stole the rest of my sister's steak and sauteeed spinach as well. Ordered everything prepared Whole30!

Day 7 is good. Sleeping good. Cravings are almost all gone. My pants are definitely happier. ;) Onto a strong week!

So, yes, I bought the Applegate hotdogs (the beef ones, since my 10 year-old daughter doesn't eat birds - don't ask! :)) And they were good. Had two with a big salad for dinner and I was more than satisfied. Yesterday I made the Chocolate Chili from Well Fed. It was delish! I've never made chili without beans before. Served it over mashed cauliflower, and there's enough left for lunch today.

So, my dirty little secret. I have not been 100% compliant. But I'm ok with that, so hopefully, I won't get kicked out of the group ;)

I've had wine. I am in the wine business, so that's the toughest part for me. I've had a couple of spoonfuls of Justin's maple almond butter. And, I weighed myself. Lost 2 pounds. Pretty good, was hoping for more. I don't have much to lose; I'd like to lose 10. Maybe I'll put the scale out in my shed for the remainder.

I believe this is Day 10. I must say, it has been really good. I'm a rediculous snacker, and I have not felt the urge to snack between meals. I feel satisfied after eating and hungry at my next meal. I was a mostly-vegetarian before this and was a huge bread, cracker, rice, pasta eater. And I was ALWAYS hungry. This is a nice break.

I have two paleo cookbooks arriving from Amazon today, and can't wait to dive into them. The Paleo Kitchen and Nom Nom Paleo.

Love and health to all!

Alexa, choosing to have wine and noncompliant food means you're not completing a Whole30.  :wacko:

Also, you shouldn't be weighing yourself. It's a Whole 30, not a Whole 10, so not seeing results on Day 10 kind of makes sense. Put away the scale and focus on how you're feeling and what you're seeing in the mirror rather than relying on a number.

So, my dirty little secret. I have not been 100% compliant. But I'm ok with that, so hopefully, I won't get kicked out of the group ;)

I've had wine. I am in the wine business, so that's the toughest part for me. I've had a couple of spoonfuls of Justin's maple almond butter. And, I weighed myself. Lost 2 pounds. Pretty good, was hoping for more. I don't have much to lose; I'd like to lose 10. Maybe I'll put the scale out in my shed for the remainder.

I believe this is Day 10. 

Some tough love: while I appreciate your honesty, once you chose to have wine and maple sugar, that resets the Whole30 clock to day 1.  As you are in the wine business for your job, can you possibly taste and spit out (i.e., not swallow)?  

If it's impossible for you to not ingest wine for 30 consecutive days for your job, then you're doing a modified Whole30, and we ask that you track your progress in the Post-Whole30 Log section, which is the "home" for such situations.

And yes, ditch the scale for your Whole30 - not weighing or taking body measurements are core rules of the program.  Focus instead on how you're feeling and the changes you're noticing as you go through the process.

It's day 11 :)

I'm feeling ok, might have gotten some cross contamination last night or becoming sick, only time will tell. Either way it's not good. I just want the sound sleep and I'll be happy. I have been having trouble with sleep lately.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

Archived