Almost a year since I went Whole30

RaisingHaleX2

I have been following the Whole30 meal plan since July 19, 2013. Its been a long, hard road for me. I have dealt with weight issues since I was a little girl. I have tried a majority of those "lose weight" diets that promised weight loss, but never promised maintaining the weight loss once you have stopped the diet. After a scare which resulted in a hospital stay last July, I knew it was time to get serious with my health and weight because I want/need to be around a long time (God willing) for my 2 sons.When I completed the first 30 days, I was down 12 lbs. But that wasn't what surprised me. I had MORE energy than I have ever had before. I was sleeping better and getting in at least 8 hours of sleep where before that, i was lucky to get 5 hours. I was insulin dependent at that time but my sugar levels are within normal ranges now. We had an extremely harsh winter this year so my time at the gym was 0 (I didnt want to leave the house in 0 degrees temps - no excuse tho!) Since then, I have hit my first goal weight and working on my second goal weight . I went from a size 24/26 in shirts to 16/18 and 18/20 in pants to 14/16. I am still a work in progress. My relationship with food is healthier now. Instead of reaching for a candy bar due to boredom, i reach for my walking shoes and head out the door. Biggest thing for me? I have more energy to play with my kids now rather than just sitting on the bench watching my kids play.

P.S. I aint gonna lie, its HARD and day 3 just about broke me, willpower-wise, but it is WORTH it!!

P.S.S. My husband did the whole30 with me as moral support and has continued to do the whole 30 and the little stinker is down 40 lbs lol

post-33286-0-00389000-1402369803_thumb.jpost-33286-0-97352900-1402369824_thumb.j

Congratulations on your success! I was wondering if perhaps at the beginning you had any lower abdomen swelling at all? I'm on day 16 and I've noticed that and wonder if it's temporary, new weight, etc... I've been eating tons of fruits and veggies and i'm not sure if the swelling is my body's response to all that.

Congratulations on your success! I was wondering if perhaps at the beginning you had any lower abdomen swelling at all? I'm on day 16 and I've noticed that and wonder if it's temporary, new weight, etc... I've been eating tons of fruits and veggies and i'm not sure if the swelling is my body's response to all that.

oddly, i had swelling in my upper abdomen when i first started W30, especially in my right upper half. theres no swelling now. I dont know if some of the veggies tended to make me more bloated or not. I just assumed it was because my body was in shock switching from processed, carb laden foods to "clean" eating, so to speak.

It happens sometimes. People experience a variety of side effects as their guts heal during Whole30: bloating, nausea, fatigue, inflammations, rashes, etc. Unless you're in severe discomfort or pain, I wouldn't worry as yet. Hang in there, and things should start improving shortly.

One thing might help: less fruits. Try to limit fruits to 1-2 servings a day. The sugar can impede your transformation and keep you craving for sugar.

Good luck!

My relationship with food is healthier now. Instead of reaching for a candy bar due to boredom, i reach for my walking shoes and head out the door. Biggest thing for me? I have more energy to play with my kids now rather than just sitting on the bench watching my kids play.

I like this part the best! As a mindless eater and binge eater, that's the best thing Whole 30 has given me. Congrats on making this a life change, not a diet.

This is a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

thank you!

I checked out your Filipino whole 30 blog. AWESOME! I am half filipina and its good to know I am not the only one who struggled without my rice. growing up, we had rice with everything! breakfast, lunch and dinner! from time to time, I have a craving of some filipino foods my mom used to make when i was a little girl. I will be trying the spaghetti squash pancit this weekend!

I like this part the best! As a mindless eater and binge eater, that's the best thing Whole 30 has given me. Congrats on making this a life change, not a diet.

I cannot believe how much better i feel! and the energy! even my kids refuse to have a race with me lol

What great changes you and your husband have made for yourselves!  Nice job!

Have your sons bought in too?

PS - men and their weight loss... :rolleyes:

my 10 yr old does eat what we eat about half the time, which is better than none at all. My youngest son is a special needs child and very, very picky about the foods he eats. the only item on our menu he will eat is when we have tri-tip

Amazing story!

I am almost done with my second consecutive w30, planning on going on to a third.  I had to get serious about my weight loss this year.  I am not feeling deprived eating this way, like I have on other "diets".  That being said, I am also afraid of re-introduction because I am worried that it will start a slippery slope to bad eating again.

Congratulations on your "losses"  :P and thanks for the inspiration!

Archived