Not eating veggies for a meal? What then?

GrannieD

My job requires me to sometimes work late (past 10pm) even when I might arrive before 6am. This may happen once a week or so. It is very unpredictable. I try to prepare on days when I think this might happen. However, there have been a few occasions when I eat whatever small snack I brought (compliant...eg, small meal) and then am not hungry when I get home. So I might eat another small snack (usually protein only) before bed, or nothing at all. I typically do not have time to eat a regular supper meal at work if I have to stay late (hence the snack).

So my question is, am I ok eating this way once a week or less on the Whole 30? I feel like I am not following the program.

• Moderators

The best you can do is the best you can do. 

Knowing that you have a problem getting a third meal in some days makes it especially important that you get plenty of veggies in with your first two meals every day. 

My bed time snack when I need something late is a can of sardines and a side of cold sauerkraut for my veggies. I like the combination of oily fish and cold sauerkraut and this gives me protein and veggies without needing to cook. You might think of using sauerkraut straight from the refrigerator to go with your protein when you are eating your snack.

Tom is being nice but I'm not going to let you off the hook. Why can't you have vegetables? I don't see any reasons here, just a statement of what you have been doing. I think you can have vegetables at all three meals. All you have to do is decide to do it. Sauerkraut is easy, sure. or cherry tomatoes, or pre-steamed broccoli or raw bell peppers or cucumbers. One of my quickest meals involves greens sautéed with already-cooked protein. You could do any of these things in place of your current routine.

Maybe not nearly as great as fresh food, but you could always keep some canned veggies, tuna, and olives at your workplace (depending on where you work, I guess) for those unpredictable emergencies? So you could have a quick "meal 3" at work instead of a snack.

I really do want to be accountable, that's why I'm asking. My snack in the evening might consist of a boiled egg with some strips of green pepper and homemade mayo; Or a few bites of egg salad with celery. I guess what I really want to know is if I don't have anything else to eat after that (a full meal 3) is that ok? When I get home that late I'm exhausted and not hungry at all. Almost to the point of nausea. All I want to do is go to sleep.

• Moderators

GrannieD,

I think what the Moderators are trying to encourage is that you make your evening "snack" at work follow the Meal Template.

Try eating 2-3 boiled eggs with your veggies (a good amount, 1-2 cups or thereabouts if you can) and your homemade mayo. That would be better than eating a big meal late anyway, in my opininon.

Ultrarunnergirl, I agree and started bringing more food on those days so that I can do this. That way I don't have to worry at all about eating when I get home! It will work much better this way! Thanks for all the help. Sometimes one can't see the forest for the trees.

Archived