Please tell me I don't have to start over...

• Moderators
3 hours ago, GramWalker said:

It's really crazy how mindless my eating had become.  I'm a lot more purposeful in my choices now and I try to sit every time I eat so I can focus on what's going into my mouth.  All those little "BLT's" (Bites, Licks, Tastes) add up and it takes a determined effort to remember not to do them.  Hopefully new mindful, purposeful actions and attitudes will become a more positive lifestyle for me.

I'd never heard of the BLT's but that's a pretty good way of grouping them and then using that to remember not to do it!  I like it!

9 hours ago, GramWalker said:

I agree completely.   I work in an office where it's not unusual for people to bring in goodies to share.    One person in particular likes to hit up the discount bakery section of her grocery store and bring in the pastries she picked up for half price. And being on W30 I could not have any of them.     Which made me think.   How many day-old mini cupcakes have I eaten since I've worked here?   How many handfuls of potato chips?

And the disturbing part?    I don't even like this stuff very much.   Wheat kicks up my asthma.   Potato chips.....I'm just not crazy about them.   (My weakness was always Doritos....lol) Yet I kept reaching for "oooh, just a little".  Often because I had skipped breakfast or lunch, and was feeling hungry.

Trmplate meals and fat adaptation are now my willpower's best friend. :) 

This is along the lines of this thread I think...I'm on Day 10 of my first Whole30 and things are going well. I had red wine vinegar in my drawer at work to use on salads because the program rules say all vinegars except Malt are approved. Well for some reason I didn't look at the ingredients (I didn't think there were any, just vinegar!) and I just realized it has one of the off-limits preservatives, potassium metabisulfate. I did buy an approved Tessemae's dressing, so I haven't been using the vinegar daily, and I can't even remember if/when I used it on salads, but I may have since I stashed it in my "whole30 drawer" with my teas and almonds.

Do I have to start over, or is this like the "accidental sugar ingestion" comment seen above?

A moderator said...

"You can let accidental consumption of sugar go... unless it happens repeatedly. :)"

Thanks!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Jessie2287 said:

This is along the lines of this thread I think...I'm on Day 10 of my first Whole30 and things are going well. I had red wine vinegar in my drawer at work to use on salads because the program rules say all vinegars except Malt are approved. Well for some reason I didn't look at the ingredients (I didn't think there were any, just vinegar!) and I just realized it has one of the off-limits preservatives, potassium metabisulfate. I did buy an approved Tessemae's dressing, so I haven't been using the vinegar daily, and I can't even remember if/when I used it on salads, but I may have since I stashed it in my "whole30 drawer" with my teas and almonds.

Do I have to start over, or is this like the "accidental sugar ingestion" comment seen above?

A moderator said...

"You can let accidental consumption of sugar go... unless it happens repeatedly. :)"

Thanks!

Where did a moderator recently say that you can let accidental consumption of sugar go?

15 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Where did a moderator recently say that you can let accidental consumption of sugar go?

It wasn't recently, it was a few years ago. But on the 1st page of this thread two separate moderators gave a similar answer:

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 5:17 PM, missmary said:

nope. accidental sugar is not cause for a restart. Carry on.

ps. as an aside, all the iced tea and iced coffee at starbucks will be sweetened unless you request otherwise.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 5:18 PM, Tom Denham said:

You can let accidental consumption of sugar go... unless it happens repeatedly. :)

Looks like on of them said it explicitly as well:

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2014 at 7:52 AM, missmary said:

For the record: we don't ask for a restart for accidental sugar ingestion. I may or may not do that with with my natural honey moisturizer  :ph34r:

So I'm just wondering if the 'accidental ingestion' caveat they're giving applies to this preservative as well.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Jessie2287 said:

So I'm just wondering if the 'accidental ingestion' caveat they're giving applies to this preservative as well.

Ultimately it's up to you - you're an adult, and you get to decide once you've read >this article<

If it were me it would be a start over - you have got to learn to read those labels if you are going to succeed, and sometimes lessons learned the hard way are the ones that stick.

If it helps you decide you should be aware that sulphites are one of the top allergens & highly disruptive to the gut. Sugar is not.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Jessie2287 said:

It wasn't recently, it was a few years ago. But on the 1st page of this thread two separate moderators gave a similar answer:

36 minutes ago, Jessie2287 said:

Looks like on of them said it explicitly as well:

Thanks!

I've edited those posts to reflect the current standard of advice that the moderators are asked to give, which is to refer to the article @jmcbn linked.  The rules of the program are very specific in that there are no accidents, slips or cheats, however, as you are all adults, this article was written to give a guiding hand on deciding whether to start over.

The posts you linked were from three years ago and while things have changed, it's not possible for us to go and change every post that may have incorrect advice.

I appreciate the article, and I definitely see how doing a Whole30 with the exception of a special occasion, or something like that, does not count and would merit a re-start. I'm not sure this is the same scenario. Here is the confusion...

The rules say:

"Do not consume carrageenan, MSG, or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30."

However, further down in the guidelines we see:

"The Fine Print

These foods are exceptions to the rule, and are allowed during your Whole30.

Vinegar. Nearly all forms of vinegar, including white, red wine, balsamic, apple cider, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. (The only exception is malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.)"

So to me, this says... no preservatives, but all vinegar is ok except malt. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Jessie2287 said:

I appreciate the article, and I definitely see how doing a Whole30 with the exception of a special occasion, or something like that, does not count and would merit a re-start. I'm not sure this is the same scenario. Here is the confusion...

The rules say:

"Do not consume carrageenan, MSG, or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30."

"The Fine Print

Vinegar. Nearly all forms of vinegar, including white, red wine, balsamic, apple cider, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. (The only exception is malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.)"

So to me, this says... no preservatives, but all vinegar is ok except malt. Thoughts?

Reading the label is still required, a bottle of vinegar may still be packaged to contain a non-compliant ingredient.

Example -- something that has had a home in my kitchen for a very long time. Marukan's Rice Vinegar.  5 choices.  All of them say "Rice Vinegar".   But the only compliant bottles are the Genuine Brewed Rice Vinegar and the Organic Rice Vinegar.

The others contain added sugar.   

And keep in mind, the rule does not say "no preservatives."   Some are permitted.   Citric acid and salt are commonly used in commercial and home canning alike.  Both permitted.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Jessie2287 said:

The rules say:

"The Fine Print

Vinegar is a tricky one because all vinegars contain naturally occurring sulphtes.  Some vinegars also have ADDED sulphites which would then render them non compliant.  You need to read the label and determine if sulphite is listed in the ingredients... if it just says 'contains sulphites' or 'naturally occurring sulphites' then that's okay.

Archived