Terra's Whole30 Log

Terra

Today I got my first Whole30 Daily email and promptly (and accidently) deleted it. I got a new copy and I am ready to be 100% compliant for the next 30 days. Have to admit that I am worried about how to handle social situations, lunches with my hubby and late night cravings. I will just have to remember that many of the foods that might tempt me are toxic to my system!

Today I started out with coffee w/coconut milk and a spoon of coconut butter. (6:30am)

Then when one everyone is out the door and I am seated at work I have my actual breakfast. That might have to change!!! two boiled eggs, sausage, an avocado (the whole thing!) and black coffee (8:30am)

Its now my typical lunch time and I am not hungry, yet. When I get there I have a chicken, red pepper, cherry tomato and spaghetti squash curry in the fridge. I'm trying to make lunch a larger meal to help fend off my late night munchies. The thought is that three large satisifying meals might be what I need to stave off that 9pm search in the kitchen for something to eat. Since there is non-Whole30 food in the kitchen I know that is a dangerous activity!!!

:)

• Moderators

I like the sound of getting breakfast started before you get to work.

I nag lots of people to eat more fat, and there is nothing wrong with your breakfast, but it is kind of heavy on fat - eggs, sausage, and an avocado. You might want to add another egg, but push the avocado to lunch where the fat content is sparse.

Yesterday went OK. I stayed on track with my food choices. I did eat some nuts in the evening, but overall it was an improvement.

Thanks Tom! I agree and will be trying to make sure all my meals get enough fat.

I have been edgy lately and I hope it is just a carb detox reaction. I also hope it passes quickly.

Hoping to get to the farmers market today for some ground lamb and a few fresh veggies. Tonight I'll cook fish and a couple of recipies one from Well Fed and one from Eat Like a Dinosuar. Can't wait!

ARRGH! I am starting to feel like I do when I am reducing my predisnone dosages.... shakey, with pin prickling skin, irtiable, and easily overwhelmed by what ever emotion hits me. I refuse the predisnone because of this effect these days. Can't wait for this feeling/rollercoaster to be OVER!!!! Today the emotion of the day has ben frustration. :blink:

Actually feeling a little better now that is out and I have taken several deep breaths. I need to remember that this is temporary and when it goes I will feel so much better. Also I will pause before I open my mouth for the next few days. Don't want all the junk in there to come tumbling out because I know and love the people I will be hanging aroung with this weekend!!!

I just stumbled across your log. I'm so glad you started! Yes, the 'getting-started' and the first few days can be rough, especially socially. However, it not only gets easier, it also gets enjoyable! Hang in there this weekend! If people are making you want to rip your hair out, vent here! :).

Wishing you the best,

Stephanie

OH, No! I made a mistake yesterday when out to lunch with my hubby and tried to eat around the offender without success. I know that I got gluten/wheat in my lunch yesterday. I can feel it! So I am starting over today. Day 1 take three!

I admit that going out to lunch with my hubby (and often meeting my parents) is making this VERY hard and my choices are limited. I was tired of eggs (typicall I eat the omlet at this place) and wanted something else. The last time I got a chicken salad at the resturant it was so dry and bland. I thought he fish would be OK, don't know what I was thinking, I know its breaded. My tummy hurt yesterday and the ache is lower today. BUMMER!!!

I'm trying to maintain the lunches out with my hubby because it is often the best time we have for serious discussions with out interruptions. It is very hard to eat healthy while out so often in this little town. I'm trying to change the eating out habit into a walking at lunch habit, but that is taking time. I can only change so much at once on my hubby, he likes his routine.

Other than the slip up I am feeling great. I think the energy kicked in for me on Sunday. Food is back on track and I am scheeming on how to keep my lunches on track.

Yay, energy!! That's what we're all after, right? : ).

The Blue Window has a nice salmon salad (minus the feta). I'm new up here (since end of June), so I haven't checked out many restaurants. On the other hand, I've gone out to 5 places, so maybe I have hit them all!! Lol.

How is it going with your hubs? A lunchtime walk sounds like a great idea! Vitamin D and fresh air! I find it easier to bring up "serious talks" while walking. Would that mean lunch would need to be eaten at your desks? Is that a problem? Could you start off with two walks per week? Just a thought.

Have you recovered from the meal yesterday? Stay strong!

Last night I did something that I could not have done a few weeks ago... I happily sat back and watched my family eat pizza & breadsticks without feeling like I had to have any. I drank my water and enjoyed the company. Later at home I ate bacon, tomatoes from the garden, purple carrots and a spoonfull of coconut butter. It felt amazing to really and truly be OK with not eating the pizza. It had been over 5 hours since my last meal and I wasn't ravenous or cranky or anything. I had no desire to eat pizza. And despite my mom's questions about why I wasn't eating, it was all good. (Mom doesn't understand what I am trying to do so I have told her I am doing a gluten/wheat sensitivity experiment. Her response " why don't you just ask the dr to test you for that." Big deep breath, agree with the sentiment, ignore and proceed as planned! ;) )

Phannie - Thanks for the Blue Window suggestion. I don't go there often as they have been quite slow at times in the past. My favorite place to eat is Kenny's BBQ which is actually on the UNM-LA campus. Pulled pork sandwich without the bun, served South Carolina style (cole slaw on top) and its all vinegar based (although I am afraid to ask too many questions about the ingredents!!)

And I'm off - Day 3, take 3...

Yesterday I know I had too many nuts and dried fruit! I was on the road a lot and it was what I could find quickly in a run through Trader Joe's. Wish I had more time to really shop but my doctor was running over an hour late and I needed to get back home to my family.

So far I am doing great. I'm on Day 7 of my Whole30.

Today I will go without the snacking! I promise this to myself!!!

No kale yesterday :( But I did get some carrots, onions, yellow caluiflower and blackberries. Next week I will have to get to the farmers market eariler so I can snag some kale and red peppers!

Tomorrow I am doing an obstacle run, just 5k, and I hope I do OK. :ph34r: I don't know how we will do much running as there are over 20 abstacles in 3.2 miles. My hope is to finish, unhurt, and have fun! I've been wondering what to have pre-race to eat... I am thinking sweet potatoes and eggs cooked in ghee. Post race more sweet potato and sausage?

I didn't make it (sushi was my downfall last weekend!) and I have been off track for a few days since that time. Last night I ate one wheat cracker and it has my system totally upset today (don't know what I was thinking, it was just mindless eating ). I have obvious wheat/gluten issues. Subtle, yet powerful indicators that I need to remove wheat from my diet totally!

I have decided to eat paleo for the most part and I will be starting another Whole30 in October. Hopefully by then I can get my hubby on board. I have made some dishes out of the Well Fed cookbook that he really likes. Cooking a curry once a week makes him VERY happy. And my lamb experiment went really well. Lamb roast one night and enough leftovers to make gyros for two meals. He loved the gyro meat!!! My biggest challenges with the family will be breakfast and snacks.

Not giving up, just re-grouping!!! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was hard to stay paleo in the first days proceeding my surgery as most food didn't make my tummy happy, but I needed something to help buffer the pain meds! I'm back and just trying to stay on the wagon for the most part. When I have gotten off track with my food my body told me it wasn't happy. When I stick to paleo foods I sure feel better. Right now I am not able to do much in the way of exercise (just walking) and no lifting at all (20 lbs max), so food is most important. I'm still eating too much chocolate in the evenings... :rolleyes:

I'm working on identifying some easy to make ahead and transport foods for thanksgiving. My parents are moving into a new house and all the food for the main meal will be store bought except for what I bring. I'm making (at a minimum) a paleo stuffing, some pumpkin cookies and a special paleo treat for my daughter who is sensitive to eggs.

Still working on getting my hubby to read the ISWF book. In the mean time I am getting the girls' school lunchs much more paleo and they don't even realize it! :D Taking baby steps with the family while I am taking better care of myself!

Phanniemae - thank for checkin in on me! How are you doing?? Have you found any local pastured pork resources???

Hi, Terra! I'm soo glad to hear that you made it through that rough time and you're moving forward with Paleo! :D

I'm sort of on the fence. My weekly meals are paleo. This week I made a ha-uge pot of chicken soup. It's so fatty, even tho I skimmed some fat for later! I had strep last week and think I picked up an obnoxious little head cold from the doctor to go with it. I was miserable!!! I had had some Halloween candy the week before and possibly the sugar created the perfect storm for me to get sick (?) Its amazing that I was able to recognize what a b*tch I turned into when my body was having a hard go of it. Really, I haven't been crabby like that in so long, so in a way, that's a win! On the other hand, I used being sick as an excuse to indulge in some of my favorite non-paleo comfort foods. I've also been back to the chocolate hardcore. I even had some with breakfast : (

Remember to bring extras to Tday, cuz you know people will be jealous of your paleo goodies : ) Pastured pork resources? No, haven't found any, but I still looove Mulay's : D My favorite easy meal lately: Flank steak from Trader Joe's (a little salt, crockpot-12 hours) with a side of butternut squash: total awesomeness!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi T! How was ur Turkey day? Mine went pretty well. I decided to not worry about food and enjoy my family. Although, a lot of my new food habits seemed to stick with me. My mom gave me a couple magazine articles that she's been saving for me about low-carb causing heart disease, thanks ma! Lol

Are you planning on doing a W30 in the upcoming months? I want to join the "epic january w30", but I'm planning a girls trip to Napa... Not sure that I have the same resolve as Melissa for that one!

Let's have lunch one of these days! I've eased up on my restrictions for at least through the holidays which makes going out to lunch much easier and fun! My fave place is Hill Diner.

Hope you are well!

Stephanie

Archived