Yogi Tea/ Tea General

Lady Comer

I know that the book states that stevia leaf is prohibited on the Whole30. However, I noticed that it was an ingredient in many of the yogi teas I looked at in the market today. The teas I'm talking about are Honey Lavender Stress Relief and Sweet Tangerine Positive Energy. I'm a HUGE tea drinker. Are these items out?

• 4 months later...

these items are out. look for a tea without stevia (or soy lecithin or vanilla extract or honey!).

WRONG.

What is tea made from? Dried plant leaves. Does the stevia plant have leaves? Does the Yogi ingredients say "Stevia Leaf"? Or does it say "derived from stevia"? 

The book, "It Starts with Food", says the problem with stevia starts when it is processed by chemicals into white crystals. It no longer resembles the plant leaf found in nature.

What's next, you're going to start telling people they can't have mint tea because they use mint extracts in some chewing gum? 

I'm sorry DrFeelgood but MissMary is correct.

"We dare you to find a stevia leaf and chew on it for a while. It ain’t that sweet. At least, not until it’s refined into white crystals in a laboratory somewhere."

That is the part you are referencing, further along it says

"NO: Do not consume any of the following foods or beverages for the duration of your Whole30 program.

Added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No table sugar, maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Equal, NutraSweet, xylitol, stevia, etc.
Read your labels, because food manufacturers sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize or even imagine."

It clearly says no to Stevia.. not "no stevia unless it is the leaf."

From Yogi's website.  

Stevia Leaf

Stevia is a genus of about 240 species of herbs and shrubs in the sunflower family native to subtropical and tropical South America and Central America. The leaf is used primarily as a sweetener in South America. Locals there use it as a substitute for sugar for those who can’t use sugar. Various glycosides, including stevoside - which is about 100 to 200 times sweeter than sugar – provide the sweetness. It is widely used as a non-sugar sweetener in other areas of the world, particularly in Japan.

It is used as a sweetener/sugar substitute.  Which brings us back to the rules for Whole 30.. which is no stevia.

As for your mint comment....except for a wistful mention about Thin Mint Cookies, there is no reference to mint what so ever.  Mint is a natural flavor, not a sweetener.

I drink red bush (rooibos) tea. It's naturally caffeine free and over here (in the uk) we can get it in different flavours. Chai and early grey and my favourites.

I don't think it would be difficult to make your own rooibos chai.

Hope this helps!

Eleanor

I drink red bush (rooibos) tea. It's naturally caffeine free and over here (in the uk) we can get it in different flavours. Chai and early grey and my favourites. I don't think it would be difficult to make your own rooibos chai. Hope this helps! Eleanor

I just tried some of that last night.  I get it from here.

https://www.adagio.com/rooibos/rooibos_earl_grey.html

Archived