6 weeks pregnant, wanting to start whole30

Hello!

I started (and didn't complete :( ) a Whole30 last fall.  I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant after going through fertility treatments.  All the stress and medications I had to be on (plus not being able to workout for almost a month while on some of the meds) and I feel like I've put on non-healthy weight and got away from my healthy habits.  Now that I'm pregnant I want to be giving my body the best food possible to nourish the baby and have a healthy pregnancy. 

Basically, I'm just saying hi here and putting in something for accountability.  Anyone else just starting?  The main difficulty I have is that a good amount of the food I would normally eat on a Whole30 isn't food you're supposed to eat when pregnant and after all we went through to get this baby I'm totally paranoid and not taking any chances, so that further limits the food options.

Hi! I'm 5 weeks pregnant and on day 5. So far its been awesome! What foods are you talking about that you can't eat now since your pregnant that you would rely on during a whole 30? Just curious because I haven't come across that issue yet.

I'm thinking like deli meats or I even worry about salads when I'm out since I don't know how the produce was handled, plus I normally will eat my weight in soft boiled or over easy eggs (or homemade mayo) but all those things you're not supposed to eat.  Scrambled eggs make me naucious to think about.  I love eggs but they are only appealing to me in a not-fully-cooked form.  Like I said, I think I'm more paranoid than the average woman or than I would be if I hadn't gone through so freaking much to get pregnant, but I feel like a lot of options that would otherwise be good choices are limited. 

Why aren't you supposed to eat eggs? If it's the risk of getting sick from salmonella (which is EXTREMELY low, around 1 in 20,000, if you are eating eggs from happy, well-kept chickens) that's easy to solve - pasteurized eggs. You can buy them at some stores or pasteurize them yourself - see http://bakingbites.com/2011/03/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home/ or http://dawnviola.com/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home-2-ways/.

Eat up - the nutrients in eggs (especially the yolk) are super good for you and baby!

It's not going so well.  I ended up in the hospital twice this past week due to bleeding & it turns out I have a subchorionic hemorage and am on more or less bedrest.  I feel really sad because I've always been very active and always looked forward to a fit pregnancy with running and staying active and now I feel like that's not likely at all.  I see my doctor again next week and am going to ask her about swimming or other non-impact activities, but I'm afraid I am going to be doomed to inactivity. It's horrible to me, but keeping my baby safe is my top priority, so I'm not willing to risk it, but I'm just pretty bummed.  I also this week started having general food aversion and nausea.  Not full blown morning sickness, but just nothing really sounds good, especially meat and healthy Whole30 foods.  This morning I had warm quinoa & coconut for breakfast, which is totally not paleo, but the thought of eggs just makes me want to throw up.  I went to the store and bought some avacados, which do appeal to me and at least that's something healthy, but there are only so many ways to eat avacados.  SAD foods like breads and cereals are the only things that don't make me feel nauseous when I think about eating them...any suggestions?

Sorry to hear about your health issues. You can have a healthy fit pregnancy without being able to exercise. Diet is certainly more important now since you can't also exercise. You're doing what you need to do to keep your baby safe, don't worry about anything else.

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and on day 12. I've been fighting nausea for the last week. The thought of sauteed greens makes me want to throw up. So I gave that up and switched to more root veggies and salads. Making sure I don't eat too much in one meal has helped. This means I'm eating 4 meals a day rather than 3. Have you tried grilled chicken? It is a protein that I've had to lean on when something else sounds repulsive. The lack of a huge odor helps I think.

Archived