Cooking for others (not on W30)

healthyAbby

So next week, I'll be going on a little mini trip with my boyfriend... and I would really like to make him realize how good veggies can be (that aren't just broccoli, cucumber and tomatoes) and to make him realize that eating healthy isn't that HARD. So what would you guys cook for someone not on whole30? 

Thanks for all suggestions!

just about anything roasted, stir fry any veggies (I like rutabagas, broccoli, peppers and pea pods) with some chicken and sunshine sauce, sweet potato hash - shredded sweets cooked in your favorite oil, I love using some cumin and chipotle powder to season and then top with a couple of fried eggs. Cauliflower or rutabaga rice (rice them in a food processor, then toss with some olive oil and roast on pans in a hot oven for 20 minutes or so.....and stir the 'rice' after 10-15 minutes....get the browned bits from the edge into the middle. Rutabaga takes longer to cook but has such a sweet taste to it when roasted. Grill some veggies.... So many options!

Oh and we have a rule that you have to take a "no thank you" bite. My sister started that and who knew that at age 55 I finally tried mussels and realized I loved them! So even my dh, who eats like crap, has to try everything!

• Moderators

I highly recommend roasted broccoli. So delicious. No cheese needed!

Mel Joulwan's Velvety Butternut Squash. YUMMMMM!

You cannot go wrong with NomNomPaleo's Super Porktastic Meatloaf. My lordy.

A stir fry - meat of your choice, onions, veggies, over cauli rice or just by itself.

Serve sweet potatoes on the side of any meal. Who doesn't love them?

Don't fall into the trap of feeling you have to apologize for making good food. Don't judge or give "advice" if he chooses to add in other foods but there is really no need to make rice, pasta, bread, etc. Let's face it, they're not some special treat.

my parents came to visit this past weekend.  This is the same mother who said "This is the worst meal I've ever cooked!" when she made an attempt at her version of whole30 (read: no spices no fats, boiled everything to death!)

So I decided to make a whole30 meal without telling them what it was.

First  I started by making my own beef broth from some grassfed beef bones.  That cooked for about 24 hours, then I strained it and put it in the fridge.  Next I used Melissa Joulwan's short rib recipe to make some grassfed short ribs (using the broth I made.)  It's ridiculously delicious!

I made some sauteed cauliflower rice with onions in it.  Then we made some coleslaw with home made olive oil mayo.  (My husband thought the coleslaw would go well against the heaviness of the short ribs.)

They were so busy eating, the table was almost silent.  We told them afterwards that it was whole30.  The response was:

'oh'.

My husband said it was the best batch of ribs yet....and I've made a bunch!

Wow that's great! I made my boyfriend some "chicken fingers" with almond meal breading, and roasted broccoli. He really liked it! He said had he Not been in the kitchen while I was preparing everything, he may have thought that it was frozen from the store with breadcrumbs :)

On Father's Day I made my dad shrimp scampi and cauliflower rice, both from the Well Fed cookook and green beans sauteed with clarified butter and toasted almonds.  Better than a restaurant!  It was so good, everyone raved for days after.

Archived