Day 8, questions and concerns

I really appreciate this forum and have been enjoying reading it. Thank you all so much. I am on Day 8 of my first Whole 30 and am loving the increased energy, better skin, and healthier feeling. Some background: for the past 6-7 weeks I was doing mostly paleo/primal, but I was having quite a bit of whole fat dairy and the occasional miso/edamame/tamari. The immediate week prior to Whole 30 I went off the rails completely and ate sugar several times and had other very non-paleo ingredients like gluten (a few times) and corn. Since Aug 1 (Day 1) I have been very strict with my Whole 30 diet.

So here is what's happening: I feel mostly great. Definitely an increase in energy and a better more cheerful mood, which I love. But I feel hungry a lot of the time and it's mostly for FAT! I find myself wanting to eat coconut oil and ghee off the spoon and have done so several times as a "snack." I also love love LOVE coconut milk. And find myself craving to drink it from the can. Is this okay? It seems to be my main craving.... and it's alarming, probably because I've been told all my life that fat will kill me.

The second thing I'd like input on is constipation. This is something I've struggled with for a lot of my life. Both constipation and diarrhea, but mostly constipation. During this time, I feel like I haven't had a proper "full" b.m. that has emptied me out. It all feels - for lack of a better way to describe it - like there is more undigested food in my tract that wants to come out. And while I feel narrower in my hips and shoulders, I still feel "big" in my belly.

Oh yeah - and I do eat fermented foods. Plenty of raw sauerkraut - love it. And lots and lots of veggies (micro-green salads and the cruciferous veggies are my favorites). And I do bone broths, though maybe could up the quantity of those.

Other facts: I have some weight to lose for sure, especially body fat. I seem to be a water retention type of person too. My body wants to hold on to water and fat for dear life it feels!

What do you suppose is going on? Thanks in advance!

I have been struggling with the constipation for almost a year now and I didn't find much relief throughout my first Whole30 (today is Day 31), but at least I'm not having the abdominal cramping and lower back pain that came along with it before. My doc (who is paleo) suggested that I try eating my veggies cooked instead of raw and maybe try taking a probiotic. The first few weeks were definitely harder than the last. I think it takes a while for our guts to heal... I just saw my doc today and he said it might even take more than 30 days for me. I'm willing to hang in there and see if it gets (even) better!

Thanks for your response and perspective. Yeah - for me it seems to be part of my constitution? I have always worn my weight around the middle and struggled with digestion issues. I also have habitually eaten until I'm stuffed and have been a committed snacker. So a big part of this is learning how to eat....and to learn/respect my hunger and satiety cues. I'm definitely willing to hang in there. And maybe will consider taking a probiotic? But I do get a lot of probiotics with all the sauerkrauts and such. Or at least I thought I did. We'll see! Also, what do you (or anyone) think about my fat cravings? Is that normal?

So many thanks!

Jo

Could it be that you are looking for foods that have a similar composition and taste sensation of the full-fat dairy you used to enjoy? I certainly found I loved coconut milk, which I'd previously only ever used as an ingredient, and figured it was satisfying that yoghurt and cheese shaped hole in my diet!

As you were already primal, it's possible you body has gotten used to the decreased sugar and grain intake, and loving the fat!

• Moderators

I haven't heard of craving fat like you are reporting. I've heard of people eating coconut oil by the tablespoon to make fasting easier (a semi-fast I guess). I don't suppose eating fat directly is dangerous, but it is probably better to be getting it as part of a meal with protein and veggies.

If you are eating plenty of veggies, I assume the constipation will work itself out, but the only time I've ever been constipated was post-surgery, so I am not an authority.

I also have problems with feeling like I'm un-emptied. But I have one sure-fire fix. If I haven't eaten in the last 2-3 hrs, I can go for a 20 min jog or 30 min walkd and viola! I just make sure I stick close to home:) I have also added a cup of ginger tea after meals. Not sure if it helps yet. I'm so conflicted with regards to probiotics. ISWF = don't just go buy a bottle because the probiotics may not be what you need. I have a bottle and I just look at it every day.

Thanks, everyone! Yeah - I just really love fat right now. It's scary to me.... I guess because I fear that I'm killing myself or something. Fat is still such a bad guy all over the American nutrition media! My instinct tells me I probably should go easy on the spoonfuls and try to just eat more at meals. And like Tom said, try for more rounded snacks - if I find that I have to snack. That seems like the most wholesome thing to do. I just don't know if this is one of those cravings that's coming from some deep, internal wisdom, OR it's coming from an emotional place (like trying to replace that dairy attachment). I loved what EllieBellie said about the "yoghurt and cheese shaped hole." I. Totally. Get. That. Honestly I feel like I could eat a can of coconut milk right now.

Thanks lfjewel for the suggestion. I have had that experience of getting things moving with moderate exercise. I will try to do more of that.

Just a thought...

Many of us have the opposite problem when we consume a lot of fat. Perhaps the craving is your body trying to...grease the wheels? Also, could you be dehydrated? My great grandmother used to drink water and abstain from food in the morning until she had taken care of business. Not recommending you skip breakfast, but a big glass of water first thing in the morning might get things moving, too.

Hope you feel better soon!

Constipation...

You have received a number of good pointers already. Chances are the problem will work itself out.

But if you are really stuck, a little extra magnesium citrate (maybe 500mg-600mg) taken at night with a full glass of water, followed by a little coffee or tea in the AM might help.

Though they are fats, coconut milk and good butter have a rich sweet taste. Do you eat enough carbs? Have you tried squash? Sweet potatoes? Avocado? Roasted root veggies? (my favorite)

Stay hydrated.

;)

Thanks again. I think these are really great suggestions and comments. I really resonate with the hydration point, Robin. I think that is definitely something I need to focus on. Also, what you said, Maeva, is really interesting. I think that I am craving those sweet, nutty tastes... perhaps to fill the carby-dairy hole. Last night was the second night I woke up about an hour after I went to bed STARVING. I ate a banana. Maybe I need to focus on getting more carbs in the day.

When I first tried paleo (not as strict as a W30, but close), I craved tahini like a crazy person. Like wanted to drink it. I was also doing a ton of cardio and think may have been somewhat dehydrated most of the time... not sure if that had something to do with it?

I am running a lot less during this Whole30, and haven't had the same crazy cravings. Also, I'm on day 11 and decided not to buy tahini last time I was shopping just to prevent cracking out on it. It's a lot harder to crack out on olive oil lol... ew.

And I second the water first thing... before bed, I fill a big glass and put it on my nightstand to drink in the morning.

Thanks again, everyone! I ended up restarting my Whole 30 on a minor bacon technicality (see the Applegate Farms Organic Sunday Bacon thread in the Can I have _____ forum). I'm on Day 2, instead of Day 11 now. It's ok, because I was planning to go at least 45 days anyway. Feeling lots better. No constipation issues, and the cravings for fat seem to have mellowed substantially.

Archived