Adventure Race nutrition

Maculated

Hi guys - I'm not on a formal Whole30 at this point - I'm in the maintenance phase of it. In a week, I will be doing a 12 hour adventure race. Basically, this entails covering 50 miles on foot, bike, and kayak, without stopping. It should be in the mid 90s.

I would like to keep my nutrition as close to the Whole30 as possible but need to keep weight down, too, for the stuff I keep with me. I will be psyched on liquidy things (having fruit cups is a staple for me with these things), too, as water get sold after a while.

Any suggestions for things I can carry to keep the energy flowing throughout the day? I found I did really good with coconut milk when my energy was waning during the true Whole30, so fat is great, but otherwise? It's just guess work.

Thank you!

What did you use in your training? It's not guesswork, if you've had weeks of training to get ready for this event and used that time to find what works for you. Can your stomach do ok with fats while racing? Can you eat higher fat during then less strenuous segments? Are fruit cups satisfying? Do fruit cups have enough calories to be worth carrying? All things only you can answer.

Foods that keep me moving in my 12-plus hour races might not work for you, but I use plantain chips, dried fruit, Lara bars, nuts, water maybe with salt and a few tbs of juice for flavor, coconut flakes, cooked sweet potato. I prefer solid foods as I find them more satiating. Good luck!

• Moderators

Baby food squeeze packets

RX bars (dates, figs, nuts + egg white protein) or LARAbars (a distant second choice b/c they contain no significant protein)

EPIC bars (like a bar of soft jerky)

coconut flakes (esp good mixed in a baggie with dehydrated berries, bananas - can find at Trader Joes)

Have fun!

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Just FWIW, Lucie: training and racing are very different. I don't eat when I'm training. A couple hours out on the trail is different than being out solid for 12 hours without a break, but your guys' ideas we're pefect.

Baby food, Ulrarunner girls - that is amazing!! :) 

Yep, another vote for baby food here. The ones that are just fruit purée are really good, much better than a gel that's for sure. I also like dried fruit and salted nuts mixed together.

• Moderators

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Just FWIW, Lucie: training and racing are very different. I don't eat when I'm training. A couple hours out on the trail is different than being out solid for 12 hours without a break, but your guys' ideas we're pefect.

Baby food, Ulrarunner girls - that is amazing!! :)

I use the sweet potato or butternut squash ones, they have the most carbs. The only drawback is that in one packet, it's a mere 60 calories or so.

Ah, we train very differently then! For me the training helps me practice race day nutrition. I follow the "nothing new for race day" rule.

I tried the baby food one weekend. Didn't work for me, the texture threw me off. But now I know :)

Archived