Hi All,

I did my first whole 30 which ended on May 21st. I didn't go super crazy on day 31, but I probably didn't re-intro as I should have due to 2 consecutive weekends spent at weddings. During the days inbetween I ate predominantely whole30/Paleo, I'd say about 75% of the time.

However, this week I have really fallen off the wagon. whilst doing some mild re-intro I found that gluten/grains most definately gave me an unsettled stomach, along with dairy giving me heartburn and making me feel quite sick. This week I have eaten pastry, chocolate, chips, cheese and snacked way too much. I feel hurrendous and am so angry with myself. I worked really hard during the whole30 and was feeling awesome, people were commenting on my energy, skin and my weight loss too. I mostly enjoyed how awake I was feeling when my alarm would go off in the morning, now I'm back to feeling groggy and taking a good hour to feel alive.

I'm going on holiday to Spain on Tuesday and I don't know what to do. I really want to get back onto another whole30 because I clearly haven't dealt with my poor relationship with food well enough. At the same time, I know checking labels in spain for sugar, eating out in restaurants and making sure they haven't used bad oils/butter and added extra secret ingredients into things will be really really hard.

I'm looking for any kind of advice, I feel so cross and disappointed with myself for falling so far and so fastly off the wagon, I want to feel the way I did in those final few days of whole30, I don't want my hard work to go to waste....

Guest WholeStanley

I'm at work so this is just a quick note - I will return with more advice! BUT I feel like I have to say please please please don't feel cross and disappointed with yourself!! Just look what you have achieved: 30 days of whole eating (no easy feat!), you've listened and become more intuned with your body (now you know what foods affect you), and when you did have a week that didn't go as well as you had hoped you didn't just turn your back on eating whole but have instead come on to the forum to get support in getting back to where you were before!

Please remember you're human, and not every week is going to be perfect so please don't beat yourself up for going off plan - recognise this as the learning curve that it is, if you think about it - if you kept on eating perfectly next time someone offered you a big pastry to try you wouldn't have much motivation to turn it down. Falling off the wagon in my honest opinion is all part of the whole30 experience, as it really helps confirm to me that the choice to eat mostly along the whole30 principles is the right one for me because, as you said, eating the other way makes me feel really crappy.

Hope you have a better day today, and I'm sure advice for tackling you're holiday will come flooding in from others on here - can I ask where abouts you are going? I've been to spain quite a bit so my advice would change depending on what region you are in!

xxxxxxxxx

WholeStanley - thank you for your kind words. I'm busy trying to organise myself for at elast over the weekend so that I can eat nice and clean before going on holiday, I'm sure it will make all the different and I'm positive the bad horrible crappy foods I've been eating are only encouraging my feelings of disappointment and anger. I was so so proud of myself after completing my first whole30, I felt invincible. I want that back, more than I want pastry!

I'm going to the Costa Blanca, near Murcia. I've been before a few years ago but know that it is very much "little britain" in that there are far too many places offering chips, burgers, fast food, to accommodate the all too common british diet. Going for the first time with a clean eating/paleo/whole30 mindset is new to me, so having a guide of what is best to order would be great! I'm in a self catering apartment so have access to a BBQ, I just don't know how to play it with all their cured meats and olives, things that may well have sneaky sugars in but I may have no way of telling....just avoid?

Thanks again, this forum is just a fantastic and helpful place to come to when your feeling like expressing yourself and asking for advice from people who understand you and your eating habbits :)

• Moderators

When traveling, I don't worry about whether my food is cooked in butter or bad oils. I don't worry about it a bit. I don't ask if there is sugar in dressings or dairy in sauces. That is micromanagement that I can't afford on the road. I focus on the main thing which is making sure that my meals include a good portion of protein and lots of veggies. If I eat good portions of meat and veggies, I am going to be okay. By eating meat and veggies, I am not eating pizza, pasta, baked goods, cakes, cookies, etc. The way you get in trouble traveling or going out in general is abandoning your close friends meat and veggies in favor of foods that are not your friends. Have a good trip and stay close to your friends. :)

Archived