Autoimmune- So what CAN I eat?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info on the digital version Practical Paleo. I have a Nook and got ISWF on it. It's great until the Appenix when there are charts. Then it's really messed up. I plan to get the paper version as well which means I end up paying almost double than if I would have just gotten it in the first place. <_< Still happy with it overall though!

• 1 month later...

this is all very informative.. I too have RA. I just posted about my fustration about still feeling so inflammed after40 days on whole30. I was also saying how even prior to starting this i Have been gluten/dairy corn free for quite some timne now.. BUT I have greatly increased my egg consumption. I also do eat a decent amount of nuts... Is it ALL types of nuts? I was alsoating eggplant as it was in season, and yummy..

I know i am ok w/ tomatoes.. Actually come to think of it I also use a lot of red pepper, cumin, paprika, OH boy...

Seems like as hard as I try there is just always more to do... Gets tiresome sometimes....... Sorry don't mean to be a downer....

momlatte41

Hi everyone,

I enjoyed hearing your feedback about W30 and autoimmune. I am currently dealing with autoimmune and had a few questions..

1. Has anyone had success with the W30 and healing autoimmune?

2. Does anyone know or feel that eliminating nuts or eggs really help a person heal more or as long as you follow the W30 you still see healing results?

Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Helene

Hi Helene,

I found for ME that eggs are ok... I had myself tested for them but that's not to say you should have them.. I just know for me its ok..

I did cut out nuts and for a little while coconut milk. I will probably try to add them back to see if they are the culprits..

I know how frustrating all this is.. I am currently dealing with it too. What I would offer to you is this. Whole30 can only help... There is nothing really about it that is bad for you... Healthy protein, Good veggies, fresh in season fruit and healthy fats... What could possibly be harmful or wrong in that!

Thank you for both of the responses!

Paleo mom was a great read, very insightful. I do agree that all the whole30 foods are good foods, I've decided for 30 days just to cut it all out and keep it very restrictive so hopefully I can get to the root cause and heal.

Day 4 and going strong!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the Kindle version was chopped up and it has been like that for quite a few cookbooks I have gotten. I think I am going to take the safe route and order Practical Paleo in hard copy. I can't wait to get it! I've been eyeing it for sometime and after reading all these posts it just confirmed that I need it to help with my journey to get rid of this stupid autoimmune disease.

Momlatte: thanks for the follow up, I was doing good. I cut out all nuts, eggs, nightshades, and high sugar fruits and was going strong but I then accidentally drank tonic water 3 days in a row and didn't realize it had sugar :( I decided to start over and aim for 90 days! However, I splurged for 4 days before restarting... Terrible idea!!

I am now on day 2 and feeling a little of the detox. Overall as long as I make my meals tasteful and eat enough protein and good fat I do good! I'm ready for 90, through the holidays and everything. Just 1 whole30 at a time!

How are you? Feeling better? Still tolerating eggs well?

Today is day 2 - I am doing the WHOLE30 -Autoimmune Protocol- eating plan.

I have Autoimmune Thyroditis [Hashimoto Thyroiditis], Vitilago, and one Psoriasis patch.

I think the hardest part for me will be giving up NSAIDs because I have pain issues.

I have a uterine fibroid, mid cycle pain and bad menstrual cramps.

I will try Tylenol instead.

I am thinking that these many years of taking high doses of NSAIDs have caused a leaky gut in the first place

therefore causing me to develope autoimmune conditions?

I hope that this plan will help with the pain, maybe it is caused by sytemic inflammation?

I am also Estrogen dominant and am on bioidentical progesterone cream.

Anyone else doing the autoimmune protocol with these same issues?

I took my before pictures yesterday and weighed myself, then put away the scale for the month.

For supper last night:

I had ground free range chicken fried in olive oil with chopped onion and garlic, added half a head of raw cauliflower cut in small pieces, one small can of drained black olives, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, sea salt, fennel, also added some coconut aminos.

Cooked till cauliflower was tender. I had a small bowl of raw raspberries and blackberries, for a beverage I had carbonated mineral water with a twist of fresh lemon. I sure am going to miss cayanne pepper, curry, tomatoes, mayonaise, eggs...

• 2 months later...

I have Hashimoto's and possibly Fibromyalgia. I am just sick of doctors prescribing me meds, so I read this book to take matters into my own hands. I can definitely do this but I need my eggs.

Has anyone tried it first with eggs and then taken them out eventually? I don't want to get defeated before I even start.

This is my first Whole30 day 1 :) and I have already pre-planned for this week and most include eggs and such. I have a Auto-Immune Allergy disorder however I have been Meds free for a little over a year. With no breakouts, as most of my triggers are external and not food related.

Should I continue along with the regular plan? Hmm

I would recommend that you ladies give it a try with the regular guidelines IF you're already feeling good. If you notice a change for the worse, or no change for the better, at the end of the program THEN consider the AI.

However, if you're symptomatic and struggling, I'd suggest starting AI and adding foods back in if/as you start to feel better.

I have Lupus and other autoimmune issues and found that the Immune Protocol Paleo worked the best.

Eliminate all night shades, ie peppers, eggplant and tomatoes. Yes, this involve chili powder, pepper flakes or any spices that would be included or extracted from nightshades.

Eliminate eggs, as the yokes can cause an inflammatory response in the body. Only eat starchy veggies ie sweet potato, squash, pumpkin, after a workout. The body processes it better at that time.

Eliminate nuts and seeds. These can really hurt the gut. I ate a lot of avocado and unsweetened and unprocessed coconut flakes.

Only eat fruit after 2pm, it keeps the insulin at bay.

Hopes this helps. :-)

Katie

• 4 months later...

Hi All...

I'm on day 14 of an AIP w30 (actually planning on 90) to help with rheumatoid arthritis. I'm curious, how far into it before people started noticing marked improvement. And, if I'm still not feeling great, how do I judge whether something I'm still eating is the culprit? I was already 80% paleo before starting the AIP.

I've had a mild headache now for over a week and my hot spots are better but still active. I figure I'm eating something my body doesn't like or there is some slow and steady detox going on.

I'm trying to patient as I know this is going to be a slow and steady process of healing, and a LOT of experimentation. But I'm not sure when to switch things up and vary the experiment to see if different results happen - any suggestions?

• 2 years later...

Have you tested the autoimmune foods? I ask because I have rheumatoid arthritis (have since I was 9) and I have tested potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggs (the latter 3 by accident as I just didn't feel like eating them for a while a few months ago for almost an entire whole30 and potatoes on purpose) and none have any effect...removing them didn't help and adding them didn't make anything worse! I haven't tested mushrooms yet...I might not...maybe I will in the future...

I only ask because cutting foods out without planning on testing them at some point seems a bit sad...just don't assume you HAVE to be without x, y and z just because other people with your condition do

Good luck x

To get the best results from your tests you probably need to follow the full autoimmune protocol. If you remove some of the foods and see no improvement that doesn't necessary mean they are not contributing to it. I'm not an expert on AIP but my understanding is that it is recommended to follow for 90 days before testing.

I have been Nightshade free for over three years now (also gluten free).  A few months ago, when my autoimmune issues began to start a downward trend, my naturopath had me do a food sensitivity test.  Through this testing I found out that I do not have any sensitivity to any of the nightshades, however, because they can provoke an autoimmune response, I was advised to keep them to a minimum.  Through trial and error (or as someone else mentioned "experimentation") I have found that I have no issues with potatoes, I do, however, still limit them.  I still get a response if I have too much in the tomato department (and I LOVE them as well as anything made with them).  Again, through trial and error, I have learned when I can have some and how much.  Gluten is something that I will most likely not ever be able to have on a regular basis.  But, that is me.  The two items had had the largest reaction to in testing (besides gluten) was coffee and eggs :(  After over two months of not having either one, I have been able to successfully re-introduce both.  I still limit both and I can NOT eat them together, but, to me that is a small price to pay.  

For me, I am starting to think more about what I CAN eat (and really, that is a lot) and not think about what I can NOT eat.  The fact that I can eat steak for breakfast if I want is a huge benefit....

• 4 months later...

So basically, any spice or herb that isn't pepper-related is ok? No paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper or other peppers (including black pepper).

What about whole black peppercorns as part of a brining solution? I use Mel Joulwan's brining recipe for chicken breasts, and I wash off all the seeds and the peppercorns before I grill them. Is that still too much exposure?

Thanks in advance for your insights and experiences!

Is there a complete list of what spices, seasonings, and herbs I can't use? Or, conversely, a complete list of spices, seasonings, and herbs that I CAN use?

I'm realizing that cumin is apparently out. What about coriander? I have checked the downloadable AIP shopping list from this site, and it's very helpful. I'm still not seeing a lot about spices, seasonings, and herbs.

Thanks for any resources you can point me toward.

If you're interesting in spices for AIP, you will want to read this http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/07/spices-on-autoimmune-protocol.html

As a note, Sichaun pepper is also a fruit like black pepper but is unrelated, so reactions may be different (reintroduce separately). It naturally creates a slight numbness in the mouth and is used in a number of cuisines across Asia.

Avoid spice blends or anything with the generic "spices" as an ingredient, it could be everything on the irritant list.

Some general info about nightshades and AIP http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/08/the-whys-behind-autoimmune-protocol.html

There's a number of AIP recipes here, but not all of them are Whole30 compliant http://www.thepaleomom.com/category/autoimmunity/recipes-autoimmunity

Archived