The Total Junk-eaters Have Been Reformed!

Cassie C

My boyfriend and I finished our first Whole30 yesterday. We were eating a diet consisting mostly of nasty take-out and boxed meals and severely lacking in good protein and veggies. My boyfriend had put on a considerable amount of weight and was having digestive issues. I was dealing with awful allergies, sluggishness, energy crashes, and anxiety. I found Whole30 online and immediately connected. I gobbled up "It Starts With Food" and on May 16, we made the plunge.

The learning curve was pretty steep. I went from no veggies and no cooking to spending huge amounts of time in the kitchen and filling my plate with green things. Somewhere around week 3 I noticed that I was miraculously ENJOYING cooking and I LIKED a lot of veggies! I had some hard moments where stress at work had me dreaming of a donut. There were two "Lara bar incidents." After the second one, though, my cravings hit a turning point... I realized that giving in to a sugar craving feels even worse than the craving does and I've been able to rationally talk myself through tricky moments since then.

In terms of results

-Boyfriend and I both sleep like rocks now

-To be blunt, he has WAY less gas. Hallelujah!

-I lost 7 pounds, which I'm really excited with given my 5'1" petite frame... Belly looks flatter! Boyfriend hit the links early this morning and hasn't weighed in yet, but his pants are falling off and he is very noticeably thinner! He was given new motivation to hit the gym daily with his weight loss, also.

-My seasonal allergies were much better and chronic congestion that has been present for years lifted

-We have sustained energy all day. No crashing and needing 4 coffees a day and we actually sit and enjoy each other's company at night before bed instead of passing out on the couch

-My mood has been much more even-keel and anxiety greatly diminished. This is nothing short of a miracle - My mom was waiting for a neurology appt and then diagnosed with Parkinson's during our Whole30. Not only am I proud that I have been navigating this without diving into boxes of donuts, but I truly feel that the fuel my body is getting is helping me through this with a steady way of being and no anxiety attacks.

-My skin looks glowy... Literally been asked if I'm pregnant... Lol

-Around week 3 noticed less hair shedding... It's looking shinier and starting to feel thicker!!

All in all, THANK YOU Whole30. We begin reintros today, but I fully intend to be on a mostly paleo path from now on. It's amazing. If WE can do this. I PROMISE you, ANYONE can!

• Moderators

Congrats! What wonderful results!

"I realized that giving in to a sugar craving feels even worse than the craving does and I've been able to rationally talk myself through tricky moments since then."

I'm going to post this on my fridge. So well put and a wonderful reminder! Thank you!

"We have sustained energy all day. No crashing and needing 4 coffees a day and we actually sit and enjoy each other's company at night before bed instead of passing out on the couch." Love this. Well said.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story! It's ones like yours that give me motivation to keep at it

Archived