Vegetable and Fruit Juices

Im just wondering what is the Whole9 take on freshly squeezed Fruit juice, vegetable juice or a juice with fruit and vegetables?

Im still planning and organizing getting ready for my whole30...I have a juicer at homw which I love to use...I would usually have fruit juiced, but this morning had beetroot, carrot and ginger. An orange in it would have been nice but Im just unsure as to whether its compliant? If they are should I only have them at specific times eg. mid morning, rather than with breakfast?

Or should I just avoid juices altogether?

Thanks for the help :D

G

• 7 months later...

But if we do have an occasional glass of fruit juice or a smoothie (as long as they are completely from fruit and have no dairy in them) will it bust our whole30 program? Or is it just ill-advised because we are not getting all the benefits from the fruit unless we actually consume them. I am just wondering about the deeper reasoning behind it. Because if we can eat fruits, besides losing some nutrients it wouldn't really wreck the diet to drink them....would it?

Sorry, Abigail. The rules are very black and white. We do not drink our foods. Not only are you not getting ALL the benefits of eating a whole food, but the purpose of these 30 days is to change your relationship with food. So the mere fact that you are trying to justify smoothies during this 30 days, and trying to find some back door reason to include them may indicate that you have a smoothie dragon. You will be best served by totally eliminating them. It's only 30 days.

But if we do have an occasional glass of fruit juice or a smoothie (as long as they are completely from fruit and have no dairy in them) will it bust our whole30 program? Or is it just ill-advised because we are not getting all the benefits from the fruit unless we actually consume them. I am just wondering about the deeper reasoning behind it. Because if we can eat fruits, besides losing some nutrients it wouldn't really wreck the diet to drink them....would it?

Abigail - it's not a hard and fast rule, it's more of a best practice. We've found that people who drink their food tend to have less success with the program than those who don't. Think about it this way: Would you put all of those items on a plate (especially the fruit) and eat them at one time? If not, there's a good likelihood you're overdoing it on those foods, which won't really help you toward your end goal. Now, no one's gonna kick you out for it ;) We just want you to make the best choices you can.

Archived