21 weeks pregnant - whole 30 questions

Hello all! I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant with my second child. During my first pregnancy I ate terribly and was basically on a SAD way of eating, with ample sugar and chocolate and soda. As a result, I gained 45 lbs and ended up having a preterm baby born a month early. Needless to say, I have tried to do better this time around. After my first baby I learned about paleo from a friend and learned about whole30 from researching online. I completed the whole30 when my daughter was about 1 I think and was feeling awesome, with energy and weight loss of 17 lbs as big perks. After that point, I tried to maintain a "mostly-paleo" diet as best I could with a busy travel schedule and breast feeding until my daughter was 25 months old. This pregnancy has been much harder for me because with my daughter I didn't have any nausea or vomiting, and this time around I have been miserable and finally had to start taking zofran at 16 weeks because I was unable to function. I have to be completely gluten free (my daughter and I are both intolerant) so I have maintained a gluten free diet through the pregnancy thus far, but not paleo, because I was "needing" to eat rice and yogurt or dairy pudding to survive the severe nausea. My daughter was still breast feeding twice at night and once in the morning for the first part of my pregnancy, but at about 10-12 weeks, my milk was completely gone. I'm not sure if this is due to the fact that I was unable to eat much of anything for days at a time (probably under 500 calories because my nausea was so severe I couldn't eat). Well... As things tend to continue to get more lax over time, I ended up filling my diet with more gluten free products that were not paleo (gluten free bread made with quinoa and teff, etc), rice based tortillas, etc. I still try to avoid corn because I have a digestive reaction to it. I have definitely began to eat more sugar and as a result my fatigue is almost overwhelming. I always seem to have severe exhaustion when I eat sugar (and apparently never learn my lesson!) and one of the biggest things I noticed during my first whole 30 was that after 4 days I was clear headed and alert. I need that back! :)

My question is this, is my baby likely to experience negative reaction (a detox effect from my body) if I go cold turkey on whole30 at this point? I don't want to harm him in any way obviously, even at the expense of my own misery and exhaustion. I am quite overweight to begin with but I have gained only 2 pounds during this pregnancy. I know this is the best nutrition for me, because I feel my absolute best while eating whole30. BUT, I'm worried that making such a big change will harm my baby in some way due to the detox effect.

Can anyone give me any advice?

My game plan would include giving myself some freedom to eat fruit and sweet potatoes as I normalize my diet so I don't lose weight rapidly.

If you're afraid of a detox for baby, you could try to phase things out in a reverse reintro. So start by removing one thing like sugar, and replacing it with compliant things. Then, a few days later, remove another one (dairy, GF bread, etc.). It's not perfect, but if you're worried about baby, definitely try it. You could also phase out each GF item you have one at a time, by just not replacing them when you run out. Finish the packs and then don't replace it. You can try to make some of them last longer to help step your body down from grain carbs slowly too. But make sure you up your fruit and starchy veg intake when you're doing all of this because otherwise your body will likely flip out! And get plenty of fats too to help make up the calories.

• 4 weeks later...

Mimibeth how did this work out?  I am at 13 and feeling dreadful - severe exhaustion both from WAY too much sugar/gluten/carbs and also from anemia and thyroid issues.  I am desperate to get back on to a gluten free and then whole 30 diet, but my pregnancy is making this an even bigger struggle than normal.  Any tips from your efforts?

Archived