Insight from 30 days

Wow! I can't believe that I made it 30 days with no sugar! Well here is my story. I am conflicted in the way I feel, but throughout the day I've tried to think of more of the positives than the negatives. I was a little discouraged with my weight loss, so I think it immediately made my mood towards the Whole 30 not as enthusiast. I then tought to myself that the scale is NOT everything, because the Whole 30 is so much more than the number on the scale, and in turn so am I.

Today I realized that for too many years I have based my self worth on a scale and that number on it. If I wasn't a certain weight, or didn't reach my goal weight, I wasn't worthy of being happy that day. That old behavior crept in this morning because I expected it to read one number and it read something I didn't want to see. Immediately I was angry, cried, and felt like a failure. I then realized that this is not healthy, and these 30 days have been about being healthy. I then felt like I wanted to kick that scales ass and prove it differently. which is exactly what I have decided to do, I am having a trial separation with it. I am strictly going to use it as a gauge from time to time, but I have decided that I am not going to let it rule how I feel about myself or that I am not worthy of being happy because that number isn't what I expected. I am currently in Temecula for a few days and am going to try the reintroduction to the best of my ability. Regardless I am no longer using the scale, I am taking pictures and measurements. Tuesday when I get home I'll do just that, then monthly I will then do the same routine.

So, for the successes of the Whole 30:

1. I did lose 6lbs according to the last weight I knew pre-whole 30. I did not weigh myself that first day, so who knows maybe I lost more. :) at this point I don't care

2. I had boundless energy everyday. Felt motivated and empowered the more I continued on my Whole 30.

3. I cooked new foods, took risks in the kitchen, and came up with great recipes. I was very impressed and looking forward to making new recipes

4. I learned to not fear fat and how to recognize my hunger levels. I don't just eat a snack to have a snack, I have one only if I'm hungry.

5. I got back in to an exercise routine again and am feeling stronger than ever. I feel like I'm finally getting back in to doing working out that I enjoy again.

6. I'm sleeping great. I used to have bad insomnia and with the exception of a few nights, I mostly sleep like a log.

7. I learned today after reintroducing some sweetener in my coffee that the Whole 30 taught me that I like to actually taste the coffee now and not the sweetner.

8. I recognize how sweet things really are now. Even some fruits almost seem too sweet.

9. I have become super aware of what I am eating. From reading labels, to asking questions at restaurants, and the differences in all the oils that are not healthy for me.

10. My husband and I did this together and it changed our relationship. At first he had a tough time, but he now is considering keeping up Paleo more than he originally planned.

11. I learned how to say NO again. I had gotten to to complacent and would give in to temptation all the time. I had become ok with eating junk. I now have gotten ok with saying No thank you again or bringing my own foods.

12. I recognized today that the Whole 30 made me realize this is a lifestyle and not just a diet. I also have decided the scale no longer determines my happiness or self worth any longer. It's about my health and this way of living by far is healthier than anything I've ever done.

My plan now is to be as compliant as possible, but there might be some things I need to adjust to reach my body composition goals. I may need to eliminate more carbs, like sweet potatoes and fruits. I felt I really didn't over do fruits too much during the Whole 30, but I may do some adjusting to help with my weightloss and fitness goals. I plan on reintroducing maybe some Stevia here and there and maybe some full fat dairy. I plan on using the "off-roading" maps to help me decide what's worth it. I know I won't be perfect 100% of the time, but I plan on being compliant as much as possible and definitely am taking on a Paleo lifestyle. I will probably do another Whole 30 in a few months or a Whole 7, etc. from time to time. I think it's healthy to reset. :)

I know that a lot of people have had a lot of success with Paleo and I plan on being one of those stories. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can achieve my goals please let me know what you think I can do. I'm not sure if I should cut portions down, limit carbs, or etc. Any suggestions are gladly and greatly welcomed. :)

Wow! That sounds like a lot of positive change ;) Six pounds sounds like a significant loss to me.

I am on day 8 and I feel pretty good. I started a Whole30 mainly to see if I am sensitive to dairy--I really hope I am not (but I probably am).

And thirty days without sugar never does me a bit of harm :P

Good luck moving forward and congratulations!

Maeva

Laura,

I have had the same relationship with the scale. I understand you completely. I have gotten so frustrated before that I literally took a hammer to it in the middle of the street. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy- but it felt so damn good! (i later went and got another one =( not a good idea- in fact I'll probably end up doing the same to that one!) Anyway, you're right- you ARE NOT a number. You are Laura. You are strong and beautiful and doing Whole30 is so much more than most people would ever consider doing! Congratulations! And just think of how happy your body is! You've been so good to it! It *will* reward you in time (I'm so talking to myself here,too).

Keep it up chica!!!

Laura, as I started reading your post I was bracing myself to hear that you had gained weight ... girl, YOU LOST SIX POUNDS! In my book, that is success, and an indication that this approach is working for you. When I look back at myself over the last several years, I probably was gaining a pound a month or so, and probably would continue to do so without a significant change (like this). W30 has not only halted my weight gain trend, but is reversing it, slowly, steadily, and almost certainly permanently.

I have enjoyed reading your posts through this last 30 days, as I did mine in tandem with you. It has been an adventure, and I know you got a lot out of it. WAY TO GO!

Laura,

I have had the same relationship with the scale. I understand you completely. I have gotten so frustrated before that I literally took a hammer to it in the middle of the street. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy- but it felt so damn good! (i later went and got another one =( not a good idea- in fact I'll probably end up doing the same to that one!) Anyway, you're right- you ARE NOT a number. You are Laura. You are strong and beautiful and doing Whole30 is so much more than most people would ever consider doing! Congratulations! And just think of how happy your body is! You've been so good to it! It *will* reward you in time (I'm so talking to myself here,too).

Keep it up chica!!!

This is going to sound silly, but I once taped a little sign over the dial on my friend's scale: HOTTIE! She loved it.

You can do something similar, or enlist a friend to surprise you.

I think I'll invent a scale that functions more like a fortune cookie or a Magic 8 Ball of affirmation when you step on it :P

I've been looking fwd to reading your story and it didn't dissapoint :) well done you on the great changes you have made and your Aha Revelation. Laura? A number on a mechanical box? No way! Pretty, funny, smart, insightful, that's what I see anyway, and I am a way better judge of people than stoopid Mr Salter :D

I really identify with your post as I recently finished mine with a loss of 5.2 lbs and many other successes. I admire your resolve and it sounds like you're well on your way to redefining health on your terms, not by a number on a scale. Awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this post and can really identify with it

The scale has ruled my life for so many years.sometimes i would weigh myself a few times a day

I am on day13 and feel such freedom not weighing myself and a little fearful that when I do I won't have lost weight

I feel thinner and people are starting to notice

How silly that we let our lives be ruled by a silly number on a box

I weigh myself on two scales at home and one at work....how mad.

And weigh something different on each one proving that it is so meaningless

I have two gorgeous young daughters ....beautiful figures who weigh more than me

Interesting?

I tell myself it's a meaningless number yet still let it rule my life

So maybe I wont even check what i have lost at the end...have to say maybe cos that sounds so hard

Love these posts

You did great laura

This is a journey not a 30 day diet

I am so excited to be in this .

Archived