Day 16 and sleepy after meals.

Is that normal? That happened to me once in awhile in the past but boy do I get heavy eyelids after lunch and dinner....

I'm trying not to so I can get 7-8 hours of sleep but with work and stuff, I'm only averaging about 6. I'm thinking the naps come in because I need that extra sleep.

• Moderators

You need 8-9 hours of sleep. If you are getting 6, being sleepy is completely normal and appropriate. 

Part of what happens when you do a Whole30 is you start paying more attention to your body and how you feel. And you are not using sugar and/or caffeine as aggressively as you did in the past to stay "jacked up." 

Maybe the next step for you is figuring out how to carve out a full 9 hours in bed with the lights out.

Some people's metabolisms slow down after meals, usually lunch. The increase in blood glucose sends a signal to the brain to conserve energy.

It may also indicate some disorders, such as sleep apnea or the onset of diabetes.

Or as Tom said, maybe it's just lack of sleep combined with the reduction in stimulants.

I have been experiencing the same thing since going on Whole30 (I have much more steady energy, but when I'm tired, I'm really tired), I suspect for all the above reasons (I've been diagnosed as pre-diabetic).

Archived